Bungied backup hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin: I agree the 24" SPG hose is a tad tight, but in that case, it's close enough that I don't feel it's worth changing out. At least, not until I have more regs to build dedicated doubles and singles rigs. There are other methods to bring it up to look at, and I can see it when I need to, so I'm not worried. (Plus I use the dreaded wireless AI most of the time *horror* LOL)

I am also 6'3", so my choices may help you somewhat...

First, the correct way to measure a hose's length is from each end's sealing surface. It is perfectly normal for hoses to vary slightly in length, even from the same factory.

On my singles rigs, I use a 22" back-up hose. You must remember that on many regs the outlet port is around 2" closer to your body's centerline than on a set of manifolded doubles. I use two different first stage designs for singles, an Apeks DS4 or a Mares V16. I also use a 28" HP hose as the hose must now make a gradual curve as it moves toward your centerline. I could probably get by with a 26", but the slight amount of bowing from an extra 2" isn't a problem.

On my doubles rigs, I use a 24" back-up hose, as it is on the left post and farther from the body's centerline. I am running this from Mares MR12 first stages, and can rotate my head fully to the left. I am also using a 26" HP hose, as the 24" was a bit too short for my long torso.

I also use a 7" primary on all three of my rigs. If diving without a cannister light, I simply tuck the extra hose into the harness strap.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Doc Intrepid:
No, the 22" hose is the right length if its coming off the right post of a manifolded set of doubles.

The backup reg doesn't come off the right post, it comes off the left post, which is why it is recommended to be 24"-26". Mine is ~24".

Soggy, do you then disagree with the following recommendations? This is from the site I see linked to very frequently on this board when people as for hose advice. ( http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/ )

In both cases it calls for a 22-24" backup reg hose.

Singles:
singlefront.jpg

Doubles:
scubaprofront.jpg

Soggy:
The backup reg doesn't come off the right post, it comes off the left post, which is why it is recommended to be 24"-26". Mine is ~24".

I think I stumbled across one of your posts somewhere (Deco Stop, perhaps) that included some excellent pics of hose routing for DS4's. It was very helpful. The 24" hose on the backup definitely works better for me (I'm 5'10"). There was quite a bit of restriction when turning head toward left using the standard 22" hose. It seems to work fine in singles config, however.

Soggy:
Holy Stroke Input. Sorry guys...bad scoop. I must have been seriously distracted or getting elderly early. Yea verily, my backup is running off my LEFT post, not right, and I'm currently running a 22" hose off the long end of a SB Mk20 1st stage. My friends using Apeks regulator first stages that route the hose down must use 24" hoses.

I apologize for any confusion resulting from misinformation I mistakenly posted.

Doc

CompuDude:
Soggy, do you then disagree with the following recommendations? This is from the site I see linked to very frequently on this board when people as for hose advice. ( http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/ )

In both cases it calls for a 22-24" backup reg hose.

Singles:
singlefront.jpg

Doubles:
scubaprofront.jpg

When using Scubapro 1sts, 22-24" should be ample, you should be able to turn your head to the left, but the hose should be fairly snug at that point.

You may need to use a slightly longer hose, depending on your body shape.

Too long a hose, and often the backup hose will sit right next to the right shoulder D-ring, and make it awkward to clip off onto that D-ring.

For Apeks 1sts on Doubles a slightly longer hose is often preferable as the hoses should be routed downwards first. On singles the 24" hose should be fine, but again, it shouldn't restrict movement

HTH

John

Doc Intrepid:
Holy Stroke Input. Sorry guys...bad scoop. I must have been seriously distracted or getting elderly early. Yea verily, my backup is running off my LEFT post, not right, and I'm currently running a 22" hose off the long end of a SB Mk20 1st stage. My friends using Apeks regulator first stages that route the hose down must use 24" hoses.

I apologize for any confusion resulting from misinformation I mistakenly posted.

Doc

Thank you!

What a relief to find that it was just the product of a fellow disease sufferer:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom