Bungied backup hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How long is your hose for your octo?

A while back I bought a singles hose kit from TDL to move to a DIR setup, and while they've been great overall it's always bothered me that the octo hose has seemed a bit too short. (Yes, I can get the reg in my mouth, but I don't know that I could look all the way left, and it rides to the right under me.) I think I've read some posts where people made comments about needing different lengths for some of the hoses when moving regs from singles to doubles rigs, and I'm starting to wonder if that's why, esp. when I look at TDL's site and see they sell the same length hose (22") for both singles and doubles kits.

I thought TDL would know what they're doing, but either I'm doing something wrong (despite setting up my rig per the instructions at http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/ ) or that hose really is a bit too short.

Is it just me? I'm taller than most at 6'3", but with a backplate at the right height on your back, I was under the impression that was pretty much a non-issue.

(Oh, we're talking about S600/MK25 + S555 secondary, btw)

KPtech_IMG_0810-sm.jpg

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY DOC, BECAUSE HE HAD A BRAIN FART AND POSTED BAD SCOOP...

No, the 22" hose is the right length if its coming off the LEFT post of a manifolded set of doubles - the backplate tends to put the manifold relatively close to the diver.

If its coming off a single tank valve a 22" hose may be short for many people. You may want a 24" hose at least, and this may be impacted by whether you use a STA or not (which sets the tank slightly further back), the regulator you use, and whether you use a steel tank that is 8" diameter...in some cases a 26" hose may work better for you.

It isn't just you. On the day you need to use it, you won't want to go through the experience with your head canked around 30 degrees to your right by your ultra short hose...you may be bringing another diver to the surface, and you may need to be looking down and to your left. Get a hose that works for you.

Good to know, thanks. Yes, I use an STA, and I switch between HP100s and HP119s, so yes, sometimes an 8" tank, too. I'll get another hose.

Interesting that the DIR gear site I linked says they prefer the 22", specifically, on their picture of a singles rig. *shrug* Don't believe everything you read online! :eyebrow:

Heh....Like the "Pirates Code" in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, "...it's not really a code, its more like a set of guidelines"... :wink:

Deviating from their 22" 'rule' (which doesn't work for me either on a singles rig) to use a 24" hose that allows you to respond to an unconscious diver effectively at depth seems to be a worthwhile decision.

In the end your rig needs to work for you and your team. Standardization is great, but it can be taken too far...the objective is not mindless adherence to 'rules'.

CompuDude:

...I think I've read some posts where people made comments about needing different lengths for some of the hoses when moving regs from singles to doubles rigs, and I'm starting to wonder if that's why, esp. when I look at TDL's site and see they sell the same length hose (22") for both singles and doubles kits.

Is it just me? I'm taller than most at 6'3", but with a backplate at the right height on your back, I was under the impression that was pretty much a non-issue.

(Oh, we're talking about S600/MK25 + S555 secondary, btw)

It really depends on the first stage you use (imho) - the way the short hose routes from the first stage (straight down or angled to the side) will determine the distance and therefore the length of the hose you need. I regularly use a 20" with my MK20/25 (due to the length of the first stage itself and the fact that hose comes from the LP port right at the end of the swivel turret which is angled towards my right - we're talking doubles here; I also use a 20" hose when using my MK20/25 on a single tank rig.) but I use a 24" with my Apeks FST (for single tank, I've found the 22" to be ideal for Apeks). What ever hose length you use, just make sure that you can turn your head to the left and look up/down comfortably.

Doc Intrepid:
No, the 22" hose is the right length if its coming off the right post of a manifolded set of doubles.

oops nevermind, I think I understand now... I better put on my special socks... :D

Ben_ca:
...just to add to the confusion:

Between the dive gear suppliers/shops where do they start measuring the length? Metal to metal? Tip to tip? Overall length?
Yeah, I've actually ordered two 24" hoses from different manufactures that are slightly different in size.

Considering my current hose is 22", if I order a 26" hose from the same place, I figure it'll either be perfect or a smidge too long. And I'd rather have a smidge too long than a smidge too short.

Thanks for the help!

In case it helps others, I'll see if I can take a pic of my current hose routing and post it in the next day or so.

CompuDude:

A while back I bought a singles hose kit from TDL to move to a DIR setup, and while they've been great overall it's always bothered me that the octo hose has seemed a bit too short. (Yes, I can get the reg in my mouth, but I don't know that I could look all the way left, and it rides to the right under me.) I think I've read some posts where people made comments about needing different lengths for some of the hoses when moving regs from singles to doubles rigs, and I'm starting to wonder if that's why, esp. when I look at TDL's site and see they sell the same length hose (22") for both singles and doubles kits.

Kalani,

I use a slightly different hose lengths in some cases for double versus singles rig:

Back up: 24" in doubles, 22" in singles
SPG: 24" in doubles, 26" in singles.

The standard hose lengths will work. However, I found 22" on the back up reg is a bit too short for doubles routing (using Apeks DS4s) . Also, a 24" SPG hose is a bit short when using singles rig.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom