Bungie wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm also starting my 2nd project.

I've seen a lot of posts about replacing wrist straps with bungie. Do you just tie the end of the bungie, or also put a tie wrap around the end for extra security?

... I cut off the original strip and left a little flap of rubber. Then I heated a nail with a blowtorch and melted holes in the flap and lead stretchcord through the holes. I simply tied a knot in the end of the stretch cord and dropped some hotglue on the knot to keep it in place. I used two seperate pieces of stretch cord to replace the strap, four knots in all. I decided to do it this way so a single knot coming apart wouldn't allow the whole shebang to release at depth....

I never thought about using wire ties as well as the knots.....

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
... I cut off the original strip and left a little flap of rubber. Then I heated a nail with a blowtorch and melted holes in the flap and lead stretchcord through the holes. I simply tied a knot in the end of the stretch cord and dropped some hotglue on the knot to keep it in place. I used two seperate pieces of stretch cord to replace the strap, four knots in all. I decided to do it this way so a single knot coming apart wouldn't allow the whole shebang to release at depth....

I never thought about using wire ties as well as the knots.....

Nice. Wish I had thought of that..... I just cut off the bands and used a couple of tie-wraps to keep the bungies in place.

R..

i used the eighth inch bungies on my compass and i tied
a knot similar to the one on my secondary necklace , it works fine i have had no problems with it coming lose , just make sure you have it the right size ,not to tight when you tie the knots
and cut it , then take some heat source and burn the end so it wont unravel like a piece of rope , hope this helps
also the bungie cord i used came from homedepot they have it in a plastic container as tarp holers just cut the orange ends off and tie then cut to lenghth and tie again .

steleehin once bubbled...
i used the eighth inch bungies on my compass and i tied
a knot similar to the one on my secondary necklace , it works fine i have had no problems with it coming lose , just make sure you have it the right size ,not to tight when you tie the knots
and cut it , then take some heat source and burn the end so it wont unravel like a piece of rope , hope this helps
also the bungie cord i used came from homedepot they have it in a plastic container as tarp holers just cut the orange ends off and tie then cut to lenghth and tie again .
Someone posted a few weeks back about using a elastic band, even posted pictures. I thought; Now there is a better idea (Thanks!!) I went to the fabric store and found a black elastic band 1" wide that is perfect. Glued and sewed the sides at the intersection and it could not be better.

The thing that bugged me about the bungee cord was the movement and being prone to tangle slightly when donned. Now, granted this isn't a big deal, but the elastic strap is better IMO.

slate1.jpg

slate2.jpg

slate3.jpg

Well here it is my second official DIY project. Just a little wrist mount slate.

Thanks for all the help.

grunzster once bubbled...

Well here it is my second official DIY project. Just a little wrist mount slate.

Thanks for all the help.

Grunzster, slate looks real nice. Where you following the DIY slate thread?

What material did you use for the slate?

thanks

Actually I bought a really cheap flat slate. Was going to try using the larger PVC pipe as recommended, but didn't see any at Home Depot that wasn't really heavy or had the right curve.

This one is a lot thinner than most slates, so it really conforms to my arm.

Hit it with a heat gun a few times to get the curve, drilled a few additional holes, and threaded the bungie.

Back
Top Bottom