Bungee types - again ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The part of you logic that still fails to explain itself is the idea that a continuous bungee loop (which means it's running from side to side around your back (and thru the shoulder plate (or an additional small back plate). Sure, when you load your left post, you are going to have plenty of slack in the bungee, and when you load the right, in theory, everything will tighten up. But, BUT!!! if that bungee breaks, and/or you are trying to match this method to diving in almost any Asian country (including the Philippines) you'll find that most shops don't have long stems or left right tanks. That means that if you try looping on the short stem (possible if you are really good with your hardware setup), if one tank pops and drops, you lose the other too, in almost EVERY case. In the case of a broken bungee, you are basically screwed.
I started sidemount diving with rented tanks myself. Only got my own after about a year.
In my opinion you can use any valve with the single bungee.
Sometimes you have to decide to either have secure attachment or optimal comfort, but it always works somehow.

I have never had problems when a bungee slipped.
The hoses catch the tank and I reattach the bungee one handed.

When it breaks I replace it immediately (only happened to my ones without provoking it on purpose). Grab it from the pouch, attach, continue.
The second tank never dropped, even if I tried to provoke it, it seems quite impossible to me to happen by accident and it is often rather hard to get the second tank untangled when the bungee breaks and losses tension.

The part of you logic that still fails to explain itself is the idea that a continuous bungee loop ... if that bungee breaks,... if one tank pops and drops, you lose the other too, in almost EVERY case. In the case of a broken bungee, you are basically screwed.

I'm thinking it'd be easy to dismiss the significance of this problem if you had no experience of diving in environments where this sort of failure would have very unforgiving consequences.

I'm thinking it'd be easy to dismiss the significance of this problem if you had no experience of diving in environments where this sort of failure would have very unforgiving consequences.
Where would it?
I cannot think of a single environment where loosing the bungee is a 'life or death' situation.

And it does not happen that way, at least it does not if you use a tried and tested construction method.

....and that is the root of your problem. One day you might comprehend that problem.
No, acctually my problem are people like you :wink:

Can you name a singe situation where a bungee failure could be a real problem?
I do not think so.

Can you name a singe situation where a bungee failure could be a real problem?
I do not think so.

You should stick to facts, not thinking; as your thinking (aka imagination) is oft flawed.

One situation? Ok.... Descending vertically, head-first, 3 decks down into a crumbling WWII Landing Ship Tank via a 40cm ventilation shaft in zero viz whilst running a guideline. Done it.

I can think of a thousand other examples. You can't think of one. Time for Razorista to consider some self-contemplation...

No, acctually my problem are people like you .

You mean people who interrupt your bizarre fantasies with a dose of reality.....

Go and do some real diving Razorista, then you wouldn't have to rely on your imagination so much... and people wouldn't be calling you out on your BS nonsense so often.

If you understood better what some people actually do when using sidemount for caves, wrecks and technical diving, then you wouldn't have to hypothesize and get it so drastically wrong so often. The reason why people get exasperated with you is because you pull ideas from thin air and then present them as facts. When told, by those with credible and specific experience, that your hypothetical notions are incorrect, you get defensive and entrenched. Then people give up bothering to take you seriously.

You've said, many times, that people "don't know" about you. But we do know what you post and how ludicrous it is. That's more than sufficient to make a subjective judgement on the credibility of your actual experience. You come across as a stereotype 'internet diver', who takes some trim selfies in benign water, and thinks this proves something.

Go stretch yourself... I think you plateaued in your development. Take the next step...a formal tech, cave or advanced wreck course. Gain the experience that'll give you something meaningful to contribute dude.

Last edited:
One situation? Ok.... Descending vertically, head-first, 3 decks down into a crumbling WWII Landing Ship Tank via a 40cm ventilation shaft in zero viz whilst running a guideline. Done it....
Knew you would have done something like that, but I do not understand the problem of a bungee failure then.

I like going down vertical shafts and always decent head first when my ears allow.
Simulated several bungee failures in those situations.
I do not see a problem.
In most cases I would finish descend, stabilize and remove and replace the bungee then.

I could also replace the bungee immediately, but it would rarely seem reasonable to stop descending for that.

Knew you would have done something like that, but I do not understand the problem of a bungee failure then.

You admit that you don't understand the problem. If I spend the time to explain the problem, will you absorb the lesson, or will you persist in arguing invalid hypothetical points?

I'm happy to help anyone on Scubaboard, but I don't like wasting time on people who don't listen or learn.

...Go and do some real diving Razorista, ...
The difference between us is, that I am not 'searching' for 'fake divers' @DevonDiver :wink:
I was affronted by your attitude first, but I am hard to offend permanently.
I do understand your view-point.

I am sure I have done dives you would 'respect'.
Wreck and Cavern, minimal exeeding sports diver depth and frequently restriction diving most simply cannot copy physically, because I am only 60kilos.
Do not see a point in arguing however.
I rarely dive that way and it means nothing to me regarding any increased 'challenge' or chance to learn from it.

I make every dive count!
Never done I single dive for years where I did not try and eventually learned something.

To me it is very important to dive without taking any non-negligible risks, ever.
This slows my personal development significantly, but I do not mind much.
I seldom had a dive that I would not like to repeat before further progress.

There are still thousands of dives to be made before I get bored enough to really want more.
Never even wanted to be an advanced-owd and had that cert pressed onto me years ago.
Now I not only have to do every 18meter dive, I also have to do every 40 meter dive - lot's of work :wink:

I have, however, received one of the most advance sidemount educations money can buy locally.
In my experience that outweighs most training deficits I have in other areas.
I can accompany anyone on any dive today, do not see any limit, except financially.

Does not mean I am not constantly learning.
But since buying the sidemount system and taking it on a first tryout dive, every other improvement was laughably small in comparison.
In my opinion I have not learned a single important thing with all the training and experience.
The basic concept outweighs all experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom