Bungee attachment - single piece or a loop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with Andy, I've found the positives of looped bungee vs single bungee the deciding factor. Especially when you start carrying multiple bottles, management is much easier and gives some redundancy. With Al tanks I usually don't use neck leashes but with steels there are occasions when they are useful. If using a looped bungee I recommend using neck leashes as a back up.

I have a question, what are you referring to a "double loop" If the double loop a single bungee where both ends are connected near the back of the BCD creating a loop or is there 2 sections of bungee all 4 ends connected to the back?

I am new to side mount and looking at the Hollis SMS 75 there is a single loop bungee but the SMS100 has a single bungee that the rear is permanently attached and the other end connects to the front. I have tried the SMS100 in the pool with LP112 steel tanks and the single bungee did not seem to pull the tanks down under the armpit. The Single Bungee did keep the valve end up. Also, it was hard to get bungee around the valve without unclipping. It sounds like the Loop would be easier to wrap around the valve.

I will have to make a double loop bungee and give it a try too.

If the only bungee supporting a tank fails, then you have to carry that cylinder in your hand, which is not a major crisis, but annoying still.
If both cylinders are supported by the same bungee, and it fails, then life *ucks.

If you have two double bungees (and the right type of knots) then a failure of one bungee (half a loop) is not so annoying.

I think the point about the Razor style single bungee failing was, that you bring a spare one with you and can replace a broken single bungee during the dive. You can replace the single bungee under water because it is not tied to your back but only to the shoulder D-rings by boltsnaps. Whereas if you have two independent bungees (one per tank) tied to the harness on your back, and one fails, then you cannot fix it during the dive but have to swim back with that tank hanging under you at the front D-ring like a stage.

I`m using not loop, not two loops, but RING :)
here is example of my "minimal harness"
h-2633.jpg

one disadvantage, but not dangerous - when this ring will break, your tanks will felt down, BUT I have small boltsnaps in tank bandage
i-2643.jpg

and untill the end of the dive you can temporary connect tanks to shoulder D-ring
Also it could be a problem to carry this tanks, but... better to carry tanks in hands, near the ground level (I`m to lazy for extra forces), or if you are so strong - you can just connec tanks to the shoulder D-ring by small boltsnap

But it has great advantages.
1. You can use strong rubber rope, but it easy to move valve out of your body, due to double lenght of the ring!
It is not connected to back strap, and goes free.

2. using more thick rubber you can fix one or two tanks in one level - any level, as you wish. And manipulations with tanks stays very easy!

3. no one problems to change bungee, in case of tear - just one knot.

4. As this ring not fixed in the back - you can retract this bungee twice far (even more, because you also moving opposie tank a little), than another kinds. It very comfortable to see SPG, to connect/disconnect tanks from bungee, and so on.

P.S. boltsnap - is it correct? or springhook? sorry... not much practice in english
P.P.S. with normal wing I use same way:
i-1764.jpg

early I use Armadillo style to connect bungee to shoulder strap by small ropes, later I found special clips from army equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom