BumbleBee At Clark's Point / Winnipesaukee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were diving Clark's point today. On the first dive over to the left at about 30 feet we came upon a big yellow thing lettered and painted as the "BumbleBee". Has anyone seen this thing? We hadn't been there sine 2007 and I don't think it was there then.

It looks like it means to be a short wide tub of a boat with cleats and the stern boldly lettered" BumbleBee". The sides are stripped black and yellow. The odd thing is that the bottom is pretty much open except for some framing cross members. The proportions suggest that it may have been a prop or sign base for some business. I wasn't really visualizing the size at the time but sitting here it may have been 3 feet across, 8 feet long and 2 feet deep. It was barge like in shape.

Does anyone know the story behind this thing?

Pete

I don't know that one, Pete, but it's great fun to stumble on a wreck! Congratulations!

The LDS, Dive Winnipesaukee, has a nice list of wrecks, but it doesn't mention the "BumbleBee".

Lake Winnipesaukee Dive Sites

Maybe you could call the owner and see if he knows of it.

I was thrilled a few years ago when I stumbled on the fully intact 28-foot cruiser, "Empty Pockets", off Diamond Island in 54' of water. It reportedly sank in the '70's. I still have a couple of cleats from it.... :D

Let us know what you find out!

Dave C

Cool... diving in winnipesaukee lake is feasible :) I was wondering as my wife would like to go there for a looooong WE and I wouldn't mind to fit a dive somewhere ! Now the boss is tough to convince to get a dive in so not sure I would make it, but I would take already any information on diving in winnipesaukee lajke (best spots, dive shop for air fil, best side of the lake and why not a good reco on a place to stay around there...) :D

Looks like you found a intriging item, if I was you I would go back, check it, take pictures and share to the world !! :wink: Fun fun fun !

Just saw The Bumblebee last weekend!! It's there all right...one day it was on the surface, and the sky was blue. The gathering storm was still unseen behind the distant mountains...but if one listened carefully, the wind announced her arrival in advance. The trees bent to pay the wind homage, and soon the Bumblebee began to buzz around her mooring...

Cool... diving in winnipesaukee lake is feasible :) I was wondering as my wife would like to go there for a looooong WE and I wouldn't mind to fit a dive somewhere ! Now the boss is tough to convince to get a dive in so not sure I would make it, but I would take already any information on diving in winnipesaukee lajke (best spots, dive shop for air fil, best side of the lake and why not a good reco on a place to stay around there...) :D

Looks like you found a intriging item, if I was you I would go back, check it, take pictures and share to the world !! :wink: Fun fun fun !

Diving is not just feasible, but WARM! Your wife will love it! My GF and I made our first dive in the lake a few weeks ago. Dive Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro has all the info you need and does boat dives on Friday and Sunday night (maybe other dives,too)

Another nice thing, clean-up is super easy! Just hang your gear to dry! :D

"Bumblebee" I was told was put there by the dive shop over in Portsmouth NH. I don't know that I'd exactly call it a wreck but I guess technically it is. It's something to see down there anyway when your with students.

That seems plausible. I hope the don't forget to enjoy the fish, geology and artifacts.

For the record, we did not penetrate the wreck.

Since it seems to have no bottom I don't think it ever floated as a boat, just a pile of buoyant wood. Litter would probably be the legal definition.

Pete

Amajamar - agreed that you do not have the salt issues with the fresh water, but Winni has millfoil in abundance. There are lakes that are millfoil free - such as my home lake of Lake Sunapee. You should clean the equipment so that you do not run the risk of introducing this invasive species elsewhere. Similar to Zebra mussels in the St Lawrence. You want to enjoy diving there, but make sure the equipment is cleaned well so that you do not "carry" any extra friends that might then propagate in your home waters.

Bob

FWIW I did not observe any invasive in our 2 dives last week at Clark's point. Run time was :90 to the left and :70 to the right. We spent a good time weaving in and out of the plant supporting depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom