Bull shark kills Pennsylvania woman -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I question the wisdom of taking snorkelers to a site that is known for frequent shark feeding.

There is at least one operator in Florida that (I think) does exclusively shark diving with snorkels. Do you really think that it is wise to assume that blowing bubbles is a sufficiently different to make the activity safe?

There is at least one operator in Florida that (I think) does exclusively shark diving with snorkels. Do you really think that it is wise to assume that blowing bubbles is a sufficiently different to make the activity safe?

I don't 100% understand your question. If it is to me personally, I don't believe it is wise to feed sharks and put tourists in the water with them period. Professionals doing it for research I understand. But I'm of the opinion that it should not be allowed beyond that context.

What my comment was referring to is that IF this was NOT a feeding operation but simply a snorkeling tour, I am questioning the wisdom of dropping snorkelers on a site that is know to be used for shark feeding. Whether that feeding is done on scuba or snorkeling is irrelevant. Now if this was a shark feeding operation and the snorkelers knowingly signed on for that experience, than the risk was known and willingly assumed by the snorkelers.

Territorial? Those sharks are just a-hole opportunists.

Do you really think that it is wise to assume that blowing bubbles is a sufficiently different to make the activity safe?
They never trust someone who farts through their face! Bubbles are your second-best defense behind situational awareness.

I don't 100% understand your question. If it is to me personally, I don't believe it is wise to feed sharks and put tourists in the water with them period. Professionals doing it for research I understand. But I'm of the opinion that it should not be allowed beyond that context.

What my comment was referring to is that IF this was NOT a feeding operation but simply a snorkeling tour, I am questioning the wisdom of dropping snorkelers on a site that is know to be used for shark feeding. Whether that feeding is done on scuba or snorkeling is irrelevant. Now if this was a shark feeding operation and the snorkelers knowingly signed on for that experience, than the risk was known and willingly assumed by the snorkelers.
Well the person earlier in the thread equated snorkelers to top water lures. You indicated that it is unwise to drop snorkelers in a feeding location. Since you referenced snorkelers rather than scuba divers, I assume your comments were specific to snorkelers and not to bubble blowers.
Thanks for the clarification.

Also, do you really think that an old lady from Pennsylvania has a realistic view of the hazards of snorkeling with sharks that have been fed in a foreign country? What data would she use to formulate a valid estimate of risk?

Also, do you really think that an old lady from Pennsylvania has a realistic view of the hazards of snorkeling with sharks that have been fed in a foreign country? What data would she use to formulate a valid estimate of risk?

Old lady? She was 58.

I shall refrain from answering your questions because what I believe is irrelevant.

Well the person earlier in the thread equated snorkelers to top water lures. You indicated that it is unwise to drop snorkelers in a feeding location. Since you referenced snorkelers rather than scuba divers, I assume your comments were specific to snorkelers and not to bubble blowers.
Thanks for the clarification.

I take offense to 58 being called “old”! :)

I'm glad we can address a tragic death in such a frivolous and humorous manner. I guess the world has a lot bigger issues than one less tourist

I'm glad we can address a tragic death in such a frivolous and humorous manner. I guess the world has a lot bigger issues than one less tourist

You're the one that started the frivolity by referring to the poor woman as an "old lady." You might as well just stop now.

Back
Top Bottom