Bull shark attacks man from Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thala and Dumpsterdiver have really hit it on the head

of all the species of sharks NOT to mess with in Florida and the Bahamas, bull sharks are a prime candidate

this guy was apparently totally out of his depth in more ways than one

If that gives you offense, IÃÎ sorry. You are probably not stupid, insane or wicked; and ignorance is no crime ..."

Someone once said, "Ignorance is not a crime, but advertising it is." Maybe this guy is guilty of that. :D

Anyway, just to play devil's advocate......

Is it not POSSIBLE, that once again a newspaper reporter/the media screwed up the entire article? You know, they do tend to screw up everything when it comes to diving and sharks.

Is it not POSSIBLE that worst place to be with agressive sharks and a speared fish is on the surface and a decent distance from the boat?

Is it not POSSIBLE that Exuma, being very popular with inexperienced spearfishermen, is chock full of sharks that have been "hand-fed?" You know there is a reason why in national parks tell you not to feed the bears.

Is is not POSSIBLE that this guy did what is often the right thing in a nasty situation and get agressive right back at the shark and give it good poke? Is it not possble the reporter didnt quite understand that and reported wrong? Believe it or not, this the often the best solution when a shark is on your fish.

Of course it is possible this guy is also a total knuckle head, but I willing to suspend judgement either way about a guy losing his hand as I wanst really there.

However, the line about returning to hunt down said bull shark was really, really lame.

Never mind. :D

Last edited:
Bull Sharks are responsible for more attacks and deaths world wide than any other shark. So, maybe I will poke one....

I'd be curious to know if they were 'live-boat' or 'anchor-boat' diving.

Huge difference on catch handling procedures.

You know, it's the little things in life that make it all worthwhile. I find myself praying, "Please God, just ONCE, let stupid be painful." Apparently, He does listen.
Now, I have to change it to "permanently painful......"

I believe its: "Ignorance is curable, but stupid's for life."

I think the lines stems from Richard Dawkins: "To claim equal time for creation science in biology classes is about as sensible as to claim equal time for the flat-earth theory in astronomy classes. Or, as someone has pointed out, you might as well claim equal time in sex education classes for the stork theory. It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I’d rather not consider that). If that gives you offense, I’m sorry. You are probably not stupid, insane or wicked; and ignorance is no crime ..."
I didn't know the guy that hosted "Family Feud" (and was on "Hogans Hero's") was so smart.......

Oh yeah, that was Richard DAWSON.....

I was under the impression that if you have a shark approach you in an aggressive manner (lower their fins, swim erratically or circling), when they got close (should you have a spear, etc), poking or jabbing them was the proper action should all else fail?

I understand they are reporting that he swam towards it with the initial intention of spearing the shark, but evidently they got too close and he felt the need to poke it in an attempt to send him in a different direction.

Assuming someone is not spearfishing or gunning for a shark, what is the proper response should a bull shark target you?

Anyway, just to play devil's advocate......

Is it not POSSIBLE, that once again a newspaper reporter/the media screwed up the entire article? You know, they do tend to screw up everything when it comes to diving and sharks.

I was thinking the same thing.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom