Bula Commodore Bainimarama!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
this happens in PNG, the solomons and east timor.. and still we go to these places (July for Timor) so if you can get a deal or a upgrade enjoy... becasue you coming home and telling people how great it was is what increases tourism for the country and they do need it

Really? Maybe I could get a better deal there than Fiji? :joke:

almitywife:
aussies are known for their sarcastic sense of humor (as ive done on SB and gotten into trouble many times)..... so if your down here dont take what we say too seriously :D

No worries. Sounds like my kind of people. :D

gdenny:
I really don't feel like I was looking to gain anything at someone else's expense. We just want to go to Fiji. It's not like there will be fighting in the streets of Suva with death and destruction and I'll be enjoying my holiday on the next island. As he said, outside of a few checkpoints it's life goes on.

I merely suggested holding off booking the trip to get a good deal. A deal that will be offered by the resort/dive-op/airline to anyone who wishes to come to Fiji. I'm not twisting anyone's arm. If I happen to be in a fortunate position being part of the 60% that is still willing to bring my business to Fiji, so be it.

Actually, I was defending you. The person I quoted was claiming your desire to capture a good deal out of an unfortunate social event to be crass. He then followed his accusation of crassness with a suggestion that you voluntarily pay more to the Fijian dive industry (of which he is apparently a member). It found it ironic.

I still say go to Fiji. You will likely not even see signs of the coup.

If I were in your position I would probably wait a month before booking. That will be long enough to see if prices are going to start to move.

pupdiver:
Actually, I was defending you. The person I quoted was claiming your desire to capture a good deal out of an unfortunate social event to be crass. He then followed his accusation of crassness with a suggestion that you voluntarily pay more to the Fijian dive industry (of which he is apparently a member). It found it ironic.

If I were in your position I would probably wait a month before booking. That will be long enough to see if prices are going to start to move.

My apologies. I didn't know if you we're disagreeing with his first point or just saying he had gone too far when asking me to pay extra. Just seemed like one minute I'm asking if the coup will have much effect, the next I'm supposedly trying to take advantage of an unfortunate situation like some kind of ambulance chaser of dive travel.

Sounds like a good plan to wait a month. We're definitely going.:D

Hey, if I can get a bargain, I'll lead a group trip and book 14 people who might not otherwise have come at all. Win-win.

Jack

gdenny:
My apologies. I didn't know if you we're disagreeing with his first point or just saying he had gone too far when asking me to pay extra. Just seemed like one minute I'm asking if the coup will have much effect, the next I'm supposedly trying to take advantage of an unfortunate situation like some kind of ambulance chaser of dive travel.

Sounds like a good plan to wait a month. We're definitely going.:D

My wife and I went to Taveuni last year and it was fabulous. The diving is fantastic and it was the best time we have ever had on vacation.

I will offer you one suggestion, though. If you visit a village (which I highly recommend), give generously. In fact, the village leaders really appreciate if you give school supplies, etc, rather than candy. Fijians are some of the nicest people we met anywhere in the world.

pupdiver:
My wife and I went to Taveuni last year and it was fabulous. The diving is fantastic and it was the best time we have ever had on vacation.

I will offer you one suggestion, though. If you visit a village (which I highly recommend), give generously. In fact, the village leaders really appreciate if you give school supplies, etc, rather than candy. Fijians are some of the nicest people we met anywhere in the world.

Thanks for the tip. We will definitely visit a village. My wife is an elementary school teacher so this will really hit home with her. She would love nothing more than to give these types of gifts.

Funny news from Fiji. The new military dictator put an add in the newspaper looking for people interested in participating in the cabinet. Had a list of qualifications. Sounds like a "military democracy" in the making.

YOU GO FIJI!!!!

If the first thing you think of regarding the trouble in Fiji is personal gain then I would agree that you are a little too disconnected from the reality.

I know of a couple of excellent dive operations in Fiji who give so much to their guests and scrape a pretty meager existence. I would not want to see them working for any less and I would hate to see them fold.

Overall I support rickydazla's sentiments.

Bluey

almitywife:
, the solomons and east timor.. and still we go to these places (July for Timor) so if you can get a deal or a upgrade enjoy...

I spent 6 months in Timor, 2000-2001. I was up in Suai, saw a little of Dili, Bobanaro and Maliana. It wasn't really a holiday destination then.

If you are in Dili or the Suai area, I would be interested in a report as to how it it looks these days.

Cheers

pupdiver:

I actually wasn't suggesting that you pay more for your dive trip per se. But you must keep in mind that companies have already laid off staff and those still working have either had their hours cut back and/or their pay checks reduced. In a country where the average wage is $100 a week these guys need every cent they can get and at the moment in the already low season it hurts.

The good operators will survive yes, but many of their staff may not. Through no fault of their own. And you will certainly see signs of the coup - everywhere you go is running at 25% capacity or less. I went to the big hotels last week - Hilton were at 26%, Sheraton at 13% and Sofitel 30%. The resort I work at currently has 30 guests. Our capacity is 120+. This could go on for months...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom