Building a dedicated shore diving trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ended up with a barely used 5x8 with an extra 6” of height. Had to modify the garage to get it in but it’s in there. Put in a bit of one of three divers gear to see how it would space out.

Started adding the e track. Still have to get some hanging bins, put in cleats for the tanks and a couple of lead crates, do the shore power hookup, build the camera/light battery station, install the power ventilation and build a forced air drying rack but it’s coming along!

22328C6F-8D39-4204-B288-37A9705F5486.jpeg
7152C65C-9823-4322-8D57-0A244186CD7A.jpeg

Shore power and dryer box are done.

The 70l box has a 190cfm fan blowing in, three vent topper drying racks over matching holes for gloves & boots and three 1.5” dwv pipes with elbows for hoods.

Have to figure out the forced intake for the whole trailer yet. I think I’ll go with a similar but higher cfm fan ducted to an extra vent I’ve got coming. Hope fully I’ll be able to plug the trailer in, close the doors and gear will dry by morning.

Added a shelf for a battery charging station with a power bar. The lights are magnetic based USB rechargeable 700 lumen units. Super handy... we can even close the doors and use the trailer as a change room.

EA21EB1D-1367-456D-B991-1055CBC4E667.jpeg

DA066A56-9E86-47E2-A90C-97EC31DCC37C.jpeg

4CBF9195-C0FE-4D65-941C-54A7E0D11C33.jpeg

393E7B19-4E0A-4C7B-88D8-52837DAF3C38.jpeg

You don't need a forced intake if you have a forced exhaust. You just need a intake. Can be dedicated or hope the trailer has enough air leaks.

You don't need a forced intake if you have a forced exhaust. You just need a intake. Can be dedicated or hope the trailer has enough air leaks.

seconded, I'd want a forced exhaust over a forced intake. Theoretically the relative humidity and temperature are both going to be higher inside of the trailer so you want to create a negative pressure inside of it with something like a Maxxair on the top and then have something like the vent below on the bottom of the trailer wall at one corner. That corner should be where the wettest stuff is as theoretically it will have the most air flow as the primary intake vent.
https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Truck-...&keywords=trailer+vent&qid=1616701402&sr=8-10

seconded, I'd want a forced exhaust over a forced intake. Theoretically the relative humidity and temperature are both going to be higher inside of the trailer so you want to create a negative pressure inside of it with something like a Maxxair on the top and then have something like the vent below on the bottom of the trailer wall at one corner. That corner should be where the wettest stuff is as theoretically it will have the most air flow as the primary intake vent.
https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Truck-...&keywords=trailer+vent&qid=1616701402&sr=8-10

My thought was to go with a forced intake so I could use the blowing air to stir thing up and then everything would find it's way out the three vents (trailer has two, I have two more identical to the linked ones coming). I'll need to keep the doors closed to keep critters from getting in.

I will keep your advice in mind though. I'm going to use a fan similar to this one (grow tent fan lol). This way I can just reverse the fan on the vent duct and it can either blow in or out. Second benefit is since these are designed for grow rooms they handle humidity well. Can't do a tradition roof fan anyway... I only have 1" of clearance as it is getting the trailer into the garage lol

61nLj8SUvnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@CanadaDan Where are the 3 vents you have now? I would strongly urge you to keep it as forced exhaust though, you will have much better luck than with forced intake, and you are going to want it that duct blower as high up as you can, ideally in an opposite corner of a floor level intake vent. You don't need that much air flow though, it's not going to dry everything overnight, certainly not the inside of the suits, all you're trying to do is keep the humidity and temps reasonable

@CanadaDan Where are the 3 vents you have now? I would strongly urge you to keep it as forced exhaust though, you will have much better luck than with forced intake, and you are going to want it that duct blower as high up as you can, ideally in an opposite corner of a floor level intake vent. You don't need that much air flow though, it's not going to dry everything overnight, certainly not the inside of the suits, all you're trying to do is keep the humidity and temps reasonable

Two currently. Top left front facing forward and bottom right rear facing back right now. Passive venting while towing.

If I add forced air (in either direction) while stationary to one of those ports I was afraid I’d overwhelm the other. Figured adding two more mirroring what’s there would allow for the additional flow needed with the fan.

Two currently. Top left front facing forward and bottom right rear facing back right now. Passive venting while towing.

If I add forced air (in either direction) while stationary to one of those ports I was afraid I’d overwhelm the other. Figured adding two more mirroring what’s there would allow for the additional flow needed with the fan.

I'd put a forced exhaust out the front one. You want to overwhelm the other to help create turbulence and force the air to actually move around and also allow you to control where the air is coming from/going to. If you put them in the opposite corners, then it will pull air from the easiest source so you want one way in, and one way out

00BCCA47-E34F-4122-B534-3DDD5C82DC0F.jpeg

Exhaust fan system is on hold waiting for a louvred 6” port. Taking previous advice to heart and going with a huge exhaust with turbulence inducing inputs.

So I worked a bit more on storage.

Had some etrack “bolt what you will to them” hangers. Went with three wicker bicycle baskets with metal plates already built in. Mounting them was a matter of removing the handlebar bracket and drilling a hole for the etrack hangers. These will be for regulators and masks, one for each diver. Not an obvious choice but I think it was rather inspired lol.

Lake ice is melting... hopefully the extra tanks show up soon and we’ll be diving by mid-May!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom