Building a better swimmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yungjeezle

Registered
Reaction score
How do you improve how to swim? I mean, I know you need to do more laps at the pool or whatever but how do you make sure that you are doing it properly?

Also, does anyone have a workout plan/diet plan to be a better swimmer/diver?

join a masters program in your area. the coach will help you work on your stroke mechanics. this will be much more effective than just swimming endless laps at your pool. IMHO swimming will primarily help your cardiovascular system and improve your lean muscle mass ratio; both of which will help you become a better diver. Much has been studied regarding diet but I think it can be simplified: calories in vs. calories burned. eat more than you burn: put on weight. eat less than you burn: lose weight. Eat the same as you burn: maintain current weight. Obviously the types of food you eat will affect your body chemistry as well. Good luck!

I actually benefited greatly from buying the Total Immersion book on swimming, and from their video. I have never been a great swimmer, but the crawl completely baffled me, and with the use of those two resources, I now have a usable freestyle stroke (which is nice for swim tests).

Cameron Martz has an excellent book, Fitness for Divers, which goes into specific exercise strategies ideal for building strength and cardiovascular fitness for diving.

Agree on Total Immersion for improvement and development of efficient swimming technique. As for an overall fitness workout plan, try a modified/moderated version of Dara Torres' regimen for building speed, stamina and total body strength. (Now if I can only afford to hire three full-time massueses :blinking: )

I usually swim with resistance/drag , swimming in the pool with loose shorts on baggy pockets, legs spread apart mostly using upper body. It might help a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom