Bugs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just the important stuff/// frogman_5: 2 bugs... CoolTech: 3 bugs... Biggest bug: frogman_5

Dive 1 - Lighthouse Reef
Depth: 40-60 ft
Temp: 86 F
Vis: Top to Bottom - 70-80' side to side

1st Day of bug season!
This dive was designed by South Florida Divers specifically for bug hunters. Six people on the boat scheduled for two drift dives.

frogman_5 and I were buddies (didn't learn until after both dives that truck1 had not been bug hunting before. If we did, we would have arranged for him to be with us, or changed dive partners... sorry Ronnie)

Rich and I were the first ones in the water, and were dropped on a nice ledge facing that was 15' high. Plenty of area for a lobster condo association. Rich found the first bug of our dive, and I quickly found the second. Unfortunately, I forgot my catching net and began tickling and grabbing with my hand (lots of quick shots to try and grab 'em).

3rd bug was found by Rich, and it was the big one of the day! I found 3 more bugs, but I was not fast enough to grab them on their scoot to the neighbor's basement... dang it! I found bug number 4 as we drifted down the ledges. Rich was next to me at this point, so I jestured a sweeping move in an attempt to have him loan me his net. Rich took this as a sign that I saw a bug behind him that he could just scoop up. Of course, the comedy began... me making the motion, Rich looking around thinking he was missing an easy catch. Finally, I used my stick to catch his net... and the loan was approved, Bingo! Bug number 4 was mine, inspected, measured and bagged.

Side note: It's been some time since I've been out bug hunting, but the analogy I used to use came back to me quickly.
Catching bugs reminds me of playing baseball... The tickle stick swings and the ball is in the air... The fielder catches the line drive... swoosh... one down
I had the big tanks and EAN36, so Rich was about done, passed his net to me and had to make his way back to the nightmare of human kind. I on the other hand played lobster ball for a little while longer. BOOM! Bug number 5 of the day!

Lobster Count:
frogman_5: 2
CoolTech: 3

By the way, no one else on the boat got a bug on dive one. It seemed like Rich and I were being eyed by everyone else on the boat for the number we did get and the number that got away (not really, but it makes for good story)

Dive 2: Sunkist Reef
Depth: 40-60 ft
Temp: 86 F
Vis: Top to Bottom - 70-80' side to side

First off the boat this time as well.
We found lobster almost immediately. Unfortunately, mine was a juvi, and frogman_5's was a prego.

The rest of the dive went about the same. We found a number of bugs, all of them either juvis or pregos

On both dives, the reefs were spectacular. Found a number of Green Morays. I took a break each time to scratch them just below their chins with my ticklestick. Most seemed to enjoy themselves.

I did find the biggest Spotted Moray I have ever seen. I could see it nose to tail. Estimated 4.5 - 5'... very nice!

Additionally, I found a number of small yellow rays and some of the biggest trigger and puffer fish I have ever seen.

On my way up on the last dive, I watched a HUGE ray swim down the middle of a 30' trench between coral structures.

Back on the boat, we found that everyone else had better luck on the second dive. Almost everyone found at least one bug. This made the 1st day of bug season a success for all.

End of line

CoolTech:
Thanks,
Tracy will need to add her dive report to give everyone the full experience

Well lets see. I had a late start due to a bit of a crisis with teenagers. :shakehead Ended up catching a ride with Rich :sappy: Unfortunately as much as I wanted to dive with the group, I had already made plans to dive with other friends. We had thought my dive boat was close to the hotel but it turns out it wasn't anywhere near. So that made for things to be a bit bumpy and inconvenient, ah well.

That said, I did get to spend the evening with Truck1, Frogman_5, and CoolTech. Aren't I a lucky girl :14: Hung out by the poolside bar for a bit. Enjoyed a couple of laughs then it was off to sleep.

Morning came a bit early for this weary diver :winky: The fellas set-off and I was lucky enough to catch a few more zzz's!!!! Frogman lent me his truck to get to the boat. Worried I wasn't going to get to dive - there is a trick to the lock on the back of his truck that I couldn't figure out :11doh: After some major fidgeting ScubaKevdm got it open. :yelclap:

Seas were a bit rough. Nothing too major though. Got to dive with my friend Jamdiver. Here is our report :http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153974

After the dive the fellas met Jam and I and all of us headed for lunch. Unfortunately, Truck1 had already left for home :sad: Prolly mad about the bugs :w-t-f:
After lunch we said our good-byes and headed for home. Pretty good weekend considering all the bumps I had along the way :) I always enjoy getting together with this group of people.

Nah I was not mad about the bugs.At least I was outsmarted by a bug that had apparently been down that road before.There was one or 2 other issues that played in to the equation like low air and missing flag.(Was not me that lost it.)I did learn the value real quick of having a marker with me.Anyway, I had a family issue I had to go deal with.Next time I ll be able to stay longer and get there earlier.

I just can't help bragging. We got these about 25 miles off the coast of Daytona Beach. Unfortunately, the vis was only about 10 ft which is a little to low for me. My brother and a friend got these.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom