Buggers, can't sleep..... OW Cert tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm now officially certified!

I was told conditions were about as poor as I could ever expect out at Edmonds. I guess I don't know any better yet, but if that's the worst, then I can't wait to see better! Visibility was around 10 feet and the current was fairly strong. Second dive started with white caps at the surface. The poor visibility didn't bother me one bit, it just made it hard to keep track of everyone.

New (well I mean different) dry suit seemed to do the trick. I pulled the wrist seals rather far up my wrists to make sure my wrist tendons didn't come into play, and tried to limit using my hands as much as possible. Either way, I made both dives staying absolutely dry, it was glorious after my experience yetsterday. I was checking out some of the other divers dry gloves, which I think I'll be looking into. I'll give the neoprene gloves a few more trys since my hands don't seem to get cold, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it..

Edmonds seems like a great facility, and I definatly have to check it out again. The park looks huge! I'll have to get a compass and figure out the whole navigation thing though. I was completly turned around and lost without having the instructor to follow. Saw lots of cool critters, but still need to see some octopus and eels!

Ahh too tired to write much more.

Thanks,
Jason

JasonH20:

I was told conditions were about as poor as I could ever expect out at Edmonds. I guess I don't know any better yet, but if that's the worst, then I can't wait to see better! Visibility was around 10 feet and the current was fairly strong. Second dive started with white caps at the surface. The poor visibility didn't bother me one bit, it just made it hard to keep track of everyone.

New (well I mean different) dry suit seemed to do the trick. I pulled the wrist seals rather far up my wrists to make sure my wrist tendons didn't come into play, and tried to limit using my hands as much as possible. Either way, I made both dives staying absolutely dry, it was glorious after my experience yetsterday. I was checking out some of the other divers dry gloves, which I think I'll be looking into. I'll give the neoprene gloves a few more trys since my hands don't seem to get cold, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it..

Edmonds seems like a great facility, and I definatly have to check it out again. The park looks huge! I'll have to get a compass and figure out the whole navigation thing though. I was completly turned around and lost without having the instructor to follow. Saw lots of cool critters, but still need to see some octopus and eels!

Ahh too tired to write much more.

Thanks,
Jason
Congratulations!!!!!!!! :dazzler1:
White caps, current & low vis, and you said, "...if that's the worst, then I can't wait to see better!:
Man, you are gonna' LOVE Puget Sound diving.

Jason - SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you - Congrats. Lets get together and dive.

JasonH20:

That was some of the worst conditions I've been in all year. If you're good with that, you'll do just fine...

Congrats Jason, welcome to the club. Glad you had a good experience with your dry suit on the second day.

Matt

JasonH20:

Congratulations ... now let's go diving!

JasonH20:

Conditions can get worse than that. In the summer, vis at Edmonds can drop to less than 2 feet, and keeping track of your buddy almost requires touch skills. Current can get moderate ... especially on a flood around the front of the jetty. Edmonds is a great dive site, but it's a place that requires a modest amount of respect ... which people often don't consider due to the lack of depth.

JasonH20:

Dry gloves have both advantages and disadvantages. If your hands don't get cold, wet gloves are the more reliable option.

JasonH20:

You'll definitely need some navigation skills to get around Edmonds. The bottom is so flat, it's easy to get turned around otherwise..

Let me know when you want to schedule a dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Congratulations ... now let's go diving!

Let me know when you want to schedule a dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yep, Yep, looking forward to it!

Though I can't go this weekend, or the following weekend (I have 2 dives already planned on Jan 2nd for my "official" dry suit cert), I'd like to go out the following weekend (Jan 8-9) or any weekend after that wife permitting!

Thanks for your encouragement, and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Jason

Congratulations, Jason! It sounds like you had a great time, and I'm sure that your dives are going to get even better! I too had not-great conditions on some of my open water dives (~3 ft vis at Redondo at dusk- I still think that wasn't a great call on the instructor's part) but I enjoyed it anyways- and every dive since has been more and more incredible as I've gotten my basics down! So much to see!

Also, hello everyone- I've been lurking around the boards for a while, and haven't posted in Orca Bait yet (I tend to be a bit quiet on boards!) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom