Buford Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately when it comes to governmental oversight of things like this, sometimes too much attention on a problem can lead to unwanted decisions.

I think it might be better just to put the sign down there without telling the state. This is one of those scenarios where I think It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

It isn't like they check the site at all, or else there wouldn't be this much stupidity.

Oh we have that right here on SB too
O2 Bottle for Cavern, Cave or Deep OW | ScubaBoard

Cavern with AN/DP anyone?

I was actually thinking about that thread when I was logging a Zapote dive. Can it be a cavern dive when we went into (planned and equipped for) deco? Sort of like there is no such thing as a cavern night dive.

I was actually thinking about that thread when I was logging a Zapote dive. Can it be a cavern dive when we went into (planned and equipped for) deco? Sort of like there is no such thing as a cavern night dive.

Cavern has the following limits:
130ft sum distance (depth + horizontal penetration) from the surface - some agencies use 200ft sum
Daylight is still clearly visible
No deco
No restrictions
100ft max depth
Minimum visibility depends on agency, 40ft is typical

So no cavern night diving, nor cavern deco, nor cavern AN/DP

Cavern has the following limits:
130ft sum distance (depth + horizontal penetration) from the surface - some agencies use 200ft sum
Daylight is still clearly visible
No deco
No restrictions
100ft max depth
Minimum visibility depends on agency, 40ft is typical

So no cavern night diving, nor cavern deco, nor cavern AN/DP

Guess that is a cave dive for me.

Guess that is a cave dive for me.

It’s funny how your perspective changes. Before I got AN/DP, I was worried about dive computer algorithms, NDL limits, surface intervals, etc. Today (especially with a Shearwater instead of an Oceanic), every dive is a deco dive.

Before Cavern/Cave, I was worried about swim-through vs overhead. Today, any overhead is a cave dive...

It’s crazy how much less you push the limits after you work hard to move the limits... But that takes time, effort and personal responsibility.

ETA: I guess there are exceptions. David Shaw and Doc Deep come to mind. But it’s still true that there are few old, bold pilots...

It’s crazy how much less you push the limits after you work hard to move the limits... But that takes time, effort and personal responsibility.

That is the truth, the Zapote dive is the first time I really pushed beyond 100 feet since I did my Helitrox. And if I knew that there was nothing to see at 130ft I wouldn't have bothered going that deep.

I have yet to see some one checking permits.
I will name them: next level dive club. They’re members are constantly doing stupid stuff and posting it on fb where they egg each other on. There’s rarely a member trying to explain to people doing stupid stuff why they shouldn’t. The majority of people I’ve met from this club are people I would never dive with due to their mentality.
I have no problem naming names because Years ago EZ scuba in tampa was notorious for taking improperly trained divers into eagles nest and Buford. They even had directions to both on their website and encouraged students to dive there. I made a comment on Cdf about it being inappropriate for a “technical” shop to be promoting these locations on their website and brought up them bringing untrained people there. The owner saw it and pulled the info off their site.

yeah.. I sorta had a social-media run in with a “prominent” member of that group. All I did was post up a “keep an eye out” notice on CDF based on a series of fb+Yt videos and threads. Seems a “well known” cave personality shared my post with the NLDC overlord. Next think I know, my name was posted all over Facebook, with blatant lies. Distorting the comments I made, calling me a liar and a coward.

sort of funny, how much I seemed to strike such a sensitive nerve. Then I got several “off the radar” messages from people who backed up my side of the story. When I confronted NLDC with facts, and screenshots... he seemed to back down and pulled down his comments.

There were quite a few folks who piled on and further disparaged my name during the 6-8 hrs this stayed posted up on FB. I have a good, long memory folks... I stand by every thing I said on CDF.. Folks should be a little more careful when they try to backstab someone, without getting all the facts.

I will echo a wise comment that was conveyed to me during this event.
“Every one promotes the ‘see something, say something’ montra... but when someone actually does speak up.. they get vilified and criticized”. (Paraphrased)

There seems to be quite a few people in diving who are trying to monetize their social media footprint. They really don’t give a **** about the overall health of the sport, the community, or the safety of anyone. They are in it to promote their own self serving goals.

Hi anyone dove Bufort this week? Thanks,Jerry
Went there this past weekend on Sunday. Visibility was pretty good (could see wall to wall in the cavern). Slight green tint to the water (first time seeing that -- usually clear/blue). There were 20+ free divers there so that probably didn't help.

Was a sign ever placed at the site ? Perhaps one should be put at the beginning of the trail as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom