Buford Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very a vary unfortunate event, but I'm a little tired of getting news feed articles about the "Two Cave Divers On An Expedition". Can the reporters not at least consult and expert?
Without going into Donald Rumsfeld's gibberish about known unknowns and unknown unknowns, no one sees a need to consult an expert unless they have some reason to believe they are possibly mistaken about something. We all act on mistaken beliefs from time to time without giving it a second thought.

It just makes me wonder why no grim reaper sign in the cavern were the overhead and depth increases. I realize this will not deter everyone however I’ve watched people at paradise springs respect the sign at 100ft and not go in the little tunnel.
That little tunnel screams “don’t go in here” even without the sign.

Buford *seems* a lot more benign.

Without going into Donald Rumsfeld's gibberish about known unknowns and unknown unknowns, no one sees a need to consult an expert unless they have some reason to believe they are possibly mistaken about something. We all act on mistaken beliefs from time to time without giving it a second thought.

That sounds a lot like being unconsciously incompetent about a given topic/skill. There are 4 stages of learning/competency, and being Unconsciously Incompetent (you don’t even realize what you don’t know) is the lowest. Four stages of competence - Wikipedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom