Budget regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow how good is that flyboy08, better than a bought one!
I just right now finished watching The Last B-24 how's that!

Sunday market regs, because I am my own life support

View attachment 633840

a few decades gone and a couple of decades to go
I will never ever need another reg set
Because I'm worth it!
These reg are too dangerous. They are ripping the fabric they are on and you should not dive with them.
I can help you by taking them away from you...for your own safety :) :) :)

Found a name brand budget regulator package for $400 that is balanced and sealed. Do I really need to go for big bucks for warm water recreational diving?
You do not need to spend big bucks. For example, I bought a Mares 15x Prestige set (with Prestige octo) for my son for $300 on a Black Friday sale. We just finished a week of diving in Boynton Beach and the BHB and they worked great.

Another option would be one of the HOG regsets which are currently on sale for around $350 with octo from Complete Regulator Set-Ups Piranha Dive Shop | and probably other places as well.

The Envoy II is another example of a relatively affordable sealed reg. HOG, Deep6, and ScubaForce all make affordable regs that are well-liked by technical divers.

As a Practitioner of Skinflint SCUBA Diving (IOW I'm a cheap bastard), my advice to you is find a nice, "low mileage" used set of high quality regulators, have them inspected/serviced by a qualified technician and then enjoy them for many years.
There a lot of people out there who decided to try SCUBA diving, blew a major wad on high quality SCUBA gear, then decided SCUBA wasn't for them. They often sell their gently used gear for pennies on the dollar.

Other than the D420’s all of my stuff is budget, I like buying used. A good case for “main stream” brands is if you don’t pay attention to your reg you may find it needing work before diving or going on a trip, if you do your own work you’ll have a service kit or two for your reg, regardless of the brand, if you go to a shop for the work and you have a scubapro or aqualung they are highly likely to have the kit in stock, other brands are a crap shoot, if they sell them they should have kits in stock if not you’ll be delayed.

Found a name brand budget regulator package for $400 that is balanced and sealed. Do I really need to go for big bucks for warm water recreational diving?
Absolutely not. Really tough to go wrong with current gear from well known brands. Balanced is what you want. Sealed is probably not necessary in FL, but my regs are sealed as well. Diaphragm or piston. A sealed piston will add cost at service time.

Post brand and model for more detailed thoughts.

Most important is being able to get it serviced locally. Probably not much of an issue in most places in FL, but can be a problem in other areas.

What, no "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" jokes?

I am sorely disappointed . . .

The Envoy II is another example of a relatively affordable sealed reg.
I agree with the relatively affordable part, but I don’t believe the Envoy II is environmentally sealed. Need to step up to the Onyx II for a sealed version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom