Budget hotels listed below: anyone have more info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gourmetdiver

Reaction score
I love mixing with the locals and don't need pools or spas, or even AC. I also like to eat at different places every day until I find one that is just right. After extensive net research, I have found several that look great, but it's hard to know which is really best.

I am a middle-aged woman diving alone and so safety is primary, and then ambience (in relative terms). Hammocks on porches facing the sea is ideal. Don't mind rustic, but hate grim or grimey. Would like to be away from the party noise, but not so far that I feel isolated or limit my choice of restaurants to less than 5. Finally, but importantly, the personalities of the proprietors. If they suck, it all sucks.

What I have found for under $50 so far is: Posada Arco Iris, Pura Vida, Coconut Tree, Mermaid Beach, Keifito's, Seagrape, Iguana Lodge, Half Moon Bay Cabins, Maizer Casita, Judy's Fantasea, Chillies, Caribbean Seashore B&B, Honduras Beach Hotel, Sea Breeze Inn, Casa Calico, West Bay Lodge, Las Rocas & Bananarama.

Does anyone know anything about any of these? Expecially in regard to my "special needs?"

This is a terrific forum. The best I've found yet. Although the moderators really should do something about the CoCoView marketers that are constantly in this forum adding their "independent" advice. Sorry, after reading 9 pages of this forum, I felt a backlash coming on. :wink:

gourmetdiver:
This is a terrific forum. The best I've found yet. Although the moderators really should do something about the CoCoView marketers that are constantly in this forum adding their "independent" advice. Sorry, after reading 9 pages of this forum, I felt a backlash coming on. :wink:

Well, we all love CCV and like spreading the word. If you ever stay there you will understand. :07:

Possibly the moderators are CoCo nuts as well. :wink:

It would be nice it CCV had it's own forum on this board. :D

Happy diving

gourmetdiver:
I love mixing with the locals and don't need pools or spas, or even AC. I also like to eat at different places every day until I find one that is just right. After extensive net research, I have found several that look great, but it's hard to know which is really best.

I am a middle-aged woman diving alone and so safety is primary, and then ambience (in relative terms). Hammocks on porches facing the sea is ideal. Don't mind rustic, but hate grim or grimey. Would like to be away from the party noise, but not so far that I feel isolated or limit my choice of restaurants to less than 5. Finally, but importantly, the personalities of the proprietors. If they suck, it all sucks.

What I have found for under $50 so far is: Posada Arco Iris, Pura Vida, Coconut Tree, Mermaid Beach, Keifito's, Seagrape, Iguana Lodge, Half Moon Bay Cabins, Maizer Casita, Judy's Fantasea, Chillies, Caribbean Seashore B&B, Honduras Beach Hotel, Sea Breeze Inn, Casa Calico, West Bay Lodge, Las Rocas & Bananarama.

Does anyone know anything about any of these? Expecially in regard to my "special needs?"

There are maybe 3 restauarants on Roatan that are of any interest. On the West End yoiu will find the Argentinian Grille and Garden of Eatin (fusion). Just 2 miles E of FIBR & CCV you will delight in "The View". Otherwise, it ranges from scary to cheeseburger to US Style high priced.

You mention several different places- they all have their fans. You'll feel quite safe!

Were you interested in any SCUBA Diving? What are your needs there?

Bananarama in West Bay is cool. Individual cabinas with fans but there may be one with A/C by now... The German Scuba Instructor that was there in 2001 was just fine, but I thot the owners were coming back to run it. West Bay is a bit of a ways from West End where there are bars, shops, dive operations, restaurants grouped together. Keifitos looked nice, right at the end of the beach, where it might be a bit quieter on Fri/Sat nights.

I always thot we'd go back there (if we went) but have discovered Utila. Don't think there's anything that would convince me to go back to Roatan if I was just casting about for a place in the Bay Islands to go. Roatan's kind of upscale, much, much larger island and so you'd need car transport to go some of the places (tho West Bay to West End is a pleasant walk on the beach with a scramble over some rocks at high tide). Bill Gates and Paul Allen of Microsuck are reputed to own land there, to give you some idea with whom your rubbing elbows.

Anyway, the Bay Islands are beautiful, warm, gorgeous water and diving, white sand beaches (not esp. Utila), and funky down-home people. Hope your trip is a great one.
=Terry

Thanks Terry for your honest input. I was piqued by your comparison between Utila & Roatan. Sadly, I was turned off by the backpacker rep that Utila has. I am not Billie Gates, but I do feel more comfortable in a middle class environment. Was I wrong about Utila? Also, I heard Utila is flat and there isn't much variety in restaurant choice. What do you think. Oh, and unless you think me a snob, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Chile until 96 and did mucho backpacking.

"You mention several different places- they all have their fans. "

You couldn't be specific about any of them due to your affiliation with CCV? Any info is appreciated.

"Were you interested in any SCUBA Diving? What are your needs there?"

I understand there are about 12 dive shops in West End, most of them charging $15 per dive. I was going to spend some time walking the strip and talking to them. I prefer boats with biminis, at minimum. I'm not too concerned with number of divers per trip, but I had a bad experiece in Cayman where every boat I got on had a person who had already seen the Trinity Caves, and the only site I truly wanted to see, I NEVER got to see. So, I'll be checking out how that system works to make sure I get to some of the best sites.

sorry ma'am,
your original post only listed places to stay.
i'm not that familiar with roatan to recognize the hotels you listed.
i apologize.
it will never happen again

Back
Top Bottom