Roatan - early April 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the great info, ideas and opinions :D. the points about AI vs. non-AI, costs, schedules, etc. are well taken.

one minor thing: I contacted Coconut Tree Divers and they said they could accommodate an OW diver on their AM "advanced" dive by accompanying with a separate DM and going to shallower depth. I can't speak for them as far as offering that all the time, but that's what they said when I asked.

anyway, given all this good information, I just have to decide what route to take.

Actually, all of you guys are wrong when it comes to the cost of staying a week (CCV) or 5 nights (West End)

I have not heard or seen one post mentioning tips!!! Tips for one person is fine but when you paying tips for 2, as I am, its gets a bit steep... @ 200.00 or more per person per week... Just saying! Some folks to not take this into account when looking at the numbers.

I am familiar with RoatanMan and I have stayed at CCV (heading back next Sept). I know at CCV I can get 6 dives in a day if I wanted, seven I guess but either way it would depend on my Nitrogen level, that would be the determining factor on how many dives I can do...! One morning dive 4 off the boat (even thought 2 are drop offs) an evening and a night or such... 5 is a more likely number however!

Question to Bay Island Diver, Even though your numbers are skewed by the number of days stay and number of dives... Is it possible to do shore dives or better yet, would you want to do shore dives over at the West End? No disrespect intended as I will drop by for a day in January (Cruise ship) over in the West End and would like to know what my options might be... I still need to book a day out diving with one of the LDS... Cozumel and Belize have both been arranged.

As to the OP, I might suggest Bonaire for the few days and with a new diver...! Heck, maybe Florida and hit the springs! Second thought, maybe I should suggest FL. I see the OP has only a few dives and her brother has none at this point so maybe the Devils Den and some other nearby springs... Just a thought!

lee

Based on Advertised Prices:
Cocoview 1 week in April 5 nights $1049

West End dive op and West End hotel (Posada Arco Iris)
5 nights at $42/night = 210
3 Days diving 3 dives a day
1 Day with just 2 dives to allow 24hr preflight interval = 11 dives@$30 = $330
A total of $540
That would mean that before Cocoview became cheaper, you would have to spend $560 on food and drink. For that price you can eat like a King! ($5/breakfast, $15 Lunch and $25 dinner)

If you chose the more likely option of six nights with a sat-sat or sun-sun flight:
Cocoview $1099

West End option $252 Hotel
14 day Dives 2 night dives $500
leaving a budget of $427 for food (a GOOD Breakfast $5 Lunch $15 a good Dinner $25) = $270
Taxi to and from airport to the West End $50
Total Cost $1072 (Non alcholic beverages inc coffee free of charge at dive shop)

So after doing the not so tricky math you need to do 4 dives a day everyday before the AI option becomes preferable to the West End option.

Average walking distance between hotel and diveshop 100 yards, hotel to a selection of restaurants 50-800 yards so no need for any taxis other than to and from the airport.

In conclusion:
If you want to do 2 days with 4 dives and the rest of the week 3 dives a day, the West End is a good option, the best part being you are not limited to i restaurant all week long, I have painful memories of arriving at inclusive resorts, finding the food terrible and not being able to do anything about it. Great way to ruin a vacation in my mind, that is the main reason I choose vacations that give me as much freedom to choose where I dine/dive and stay as possible. If the room sucks you can move, if the DM or boat sucks you can change dive op, if the food sucks, change restaurant.

Wow!!
A lot of info for someone with 2-2.5 days diving and maybe less if they wait for their buddy to get certified. Get over the week long BS, The OP said they planned 4 nights, Can you offer a plan that fits the OP's schedule?
Quite agree - Who was it who hijacked the post and somehow turned the OPs original question into the real question they wanted to answer?

Suggesting the AI route at all to this poster was ridiculous.

Quite agree - Who was it who hijacked the post and somehow turned the OPs original question into the real question they wanted to answer?

Suggesting the AI route at all to this poster was ridiculous.

Ummmm...... The OP inquired specifically about AI's.

But you're right, Willie. There's something for everyone on Roatan.

All sorts of choices and options.

The resort you mentioned, CoCoView, yes- it is easy for me to get in my 27 dives in a week's stay. If you told a CCV guest that they would be getting 14 dives in a week as in your example, they would laugh at you.

If I wanted to dive twice a day and maybe do one night dive (logging that 14 that you mention), plus do a lot of drinking late into the night... well, you provide the data for that option in your example.

To each their own.

(BTW- That math demonstrated in your post above is apples and oranges. Bad algebra.)

"Is it possible to do shore dives or better yet, would you want to do shore dives over at the West End? "

Not really. We did some shore training diving and you can go out with an instructor. But from what saw, you really couldn't go out on your own.

I believe Fantasy Island would accomodate shore diving for Cruise Ship divers if that's the direction you want to go.

Shore dives are not really an option on the North Coast due to the extensive lagoon.

And yes at Coconut Tree we can often split groups up according to the level of experience they have, each getting a different dive guide.

As for the tipping point, that is something every individual has to decide for themselves being a Brit it rarely comes up as we don't do it! I was just trying to focus on costs that are not optional, but i guess it can make a big difference to the price of a vacation when tipping is in your culture, and i sure as hell appreciate getting them:wink:

To the OP if four nights is your maximum time available, I truly believe the best value option will NOT be the AI route with their 5 night minimums. If you are not bringing your own gear it is also ESSENTIAL that you ask the question do you charge to borrow equipment? That is often a very sneaky way that people hike the price on you which hasn't even been discussed here, I couldn't find info on that on the Cocoview site, perhaps someone could enlighten us on weather this also needs to be added into the cost benefit equation for FI,CCV. I believe it is included at AKR and Reef House and know that it is included at Coconut Tree.

Will

Last edited:
.... I was just trying to focus on costs that are not optional, but i guess it can make a big difference to the price of a vacation when tipping is in your culture, and i sure as hell appreciate getting them:wink:

What is a nice tip for the DM and a Boatsman when you are using a day dive op? At an AI such as CCV, I usually give each of the crewmen $50+ each for the week. When you break out the cost per dive, that works out to a measley $3.70 per dive. (I usually give them each a Leatherman tool as well :wink:)

I couldn't find info on that on the Cocoview site, perhaps someone could enlighten us on weather this also needs to be added into the cost benefit equation for FI,CCV.

Most divers show up with their gear. Vacationers often rent as they go. Each dive op/resort seems to cater specifically to their common clientele.

At CCV (South) it is not included, but you can rent a full set with wetsuit from Welcome to Dockside Dive Center at $175 (with computer) for the week. The only people that rent any gear at all are the small number of people coming to get certified. The rest of the gear is essentially available for free loan when the airline misplaces your luggage... that is it's main purpose for being.

I know that people that come to CCV are usually there with all of their gear and ready to spend a week diving... it is simply not a vacation place with some diving. Divers go there.

Fantasy (South) will rent gear when required, but their website seems to be hacked right now, so I can't list the details. FI gets a lot more vacationers who dive, so their rental gear is widely used.

AKR (Northwest) is kind of hard to figure, but at Roatan Dive Shop | Honduras Scuba Diving Rentals | Anthony's Key it looks like $230 for the week. Again- this is not a place that often entertains "vacationers who dive". Everyone that shows up is usually with all their hardware.

Barefoot Cay (South) doesn't show any rentals, nor does Reef House Resort.

On the West/North, none of the Henry Morgan represented properties showed any rental prices, nor did Pura Vida.

Turquoise Bay, located far East on the North side, provides rental gear for $160/week (no computer) through Subway, according to their website.

Reef Gliders (West) seems to have rental gear, but at unspecified prices. Sueno del Mar makes an oblique reference to $15/day, but not specifying exactly what it includes. Native Sons makes no reference to rentals or availability. Las Rocas asks only $50/wk additional for basic gear (no computer). Seagrape shows no info on rentals whatsoever. Tyll's offers a 9 dive package at $35 each with unspecified gear loan. Foster's Anemonae Divers offers rentals at $33 per dive. Coconut Tree (West) offers dives for $30, but if you want loaner gear, it is $35. It does show a 10 dive package for $300 with loaner gear, but there is no discount price shown if you happen to have brought along your own.

Barefoot Cay[/B] (South) doesn't show any rentals, nor does Reef House Resort.

RHR does offer rental gear, from wet's to computers, mostly Oceanic (and quite recent and in excellent condition).

I'd contact Mike @ RHR for a 4-day stay, he will come up with a special deal (and he can certify the buddy, too). The ride from the airport is about 40 mins, but it'll give you an incredible look at the island, from hill tops to small villages. Our driver even offered to stop at a few places to take some pictures of the gorgeous landscape.

Enjoy Roatan. But beware, you will fall in love. :)

So what else do the ALL inclusive NOT include I wonder?

Well, since you brought that up....

Some of them include the privacy and security of being removed from the traffic of the everyday life and local population. Some may decry this isolation as removing oneself from "island culture", but essentially there is no such critter extant on Roatan with the exception of Punta Gorda- where there are no longer any dive operations.

At CCV, one or more traveling merchants arrive daily to lay out their handmade wares, always of a very select nature- not the Guatemalan import crafts that are hawked along the day-dive op/guest house zone of West End.

Security means a lot to many as I often see dive computers, laptops and digital cameras left lying about CoCoView, which is on it's own private 10 acre island. Other such operations that are physically removed are Fantasy Island, Reef House Resort and Barefoot Key.

What an AI includes is the simplicity of daily life. At an AI, you can easily bang out 3 to 5 dives a day, and some people get 6 in... without having to worry about buying groceries, cooking meals, or starting coffee. Dive, eat, sleep.

The AI's are fairly well removed from the several nice restaurants that dot West End, but the AI Anthony's Key is still quite close. For the more remote AI's, such as FIBR and CCV, it is a short cab ride (or long walk) to French Harbour where there are two of the fanciest restaurants on the island. Usually, at least once during the week, group vans are arranged to go there, but I prefer the more local shacks located to the East... also a short ride away. These are the places that you might find some remnant of actual island culture- certainly not in the beer soaked floors of West End bars.

I can go to bars back home in Chicago. I can eat out at different restaurants when I want, as well. I came to dive. That's what an AI should offer in my estimation... maximum bottom time. Stuff I can't do at home. That's me.

If you want to goof around and do jungle canopy zip lines, there is always Friday afternoon before your Saturday flight. The "island extras" are just that... nothing to do with diving- and that's why I spent the preposterous airfare to get there.

If someone is "on a budget", you have to decide what that really means. I am as cheap as most folks, but if I wanted to get my regular 27 dives per week schedule at a non-AI, that would really run into some serious cash. And remember- most day-dive ops offer only one night dive per week... only if there are enough signed up. I am a night dive junkie... not everyone is... until they have tried it and gotten comfortable with it.

You have to be truthful and realistic in your expectations and stated wants. For some people, doing two a day, then maybe a day with just drinking frosty beverages is just what they wanted. For them, a 14 dive week might be just the ticket. An AI would be a poor choice, economically. If you want a vacation with some diving, do not go to an AI on Roatan. If you want a dive vacation, AI is the only way to go. But again- you have to be accurate in stating what you really want. Some people believe they are proclaiming themselves as "less a diver" if the low volume schedule suits their desires. Not really. You just have to be aware of what your options are, what your rewards will be, what the true costs include.

Most of the people I run with are there for the diving, and prefer to look at food as fuel. Anything that gets in the way of diving is a negative. Nobody I dive with wants to shop, cook, or even make coffee. When I go to CCV, I am always amused at the number of people who show up to meals still in their dripping-wet rash guard suits. Having your gear rooms a few feet away from the room is a huge plus of an AI. Access to it 24/7 is another.

Not common to all AI's, but on Roatan...
Here's why some of the most popular dive resort specific AI's are located on the South shore (where there are no day-dive ops):

As you pointed out, Will, there is essentially no real shore diving from the North/West, even though the AI of AKR still describes one in it's materials. The shore dives that are operational on Roatan are from the AI's of FI/CCV, and if the wind is behaving, the Reef House Resort as well.

The shore diving at CCV is one of the main reasons people go there. The 24/7 access allowing for multiple night dives or dawn dives is a huge draw. At this point it might be good to remind people that although boat dive #2 and #4 for the day do end up with you doing a shore exit to CCV, the drop-off dives are simply "not the same", as some might imagine. They are done on two VERY distinct walls, and if you have been diving enough, you'll understand that what you see on a dive site changes moment by moment.

At an AI, you will be greeted at the airport by a resort staffer, and most of them won't let you touch your luggage after you are through passport control. Your luggage is deposited in your room while you are relaxing.

During hurricane season a few years back, we were supposed to fly out on a Saturday, but didn't make it onto a flight home until Tuesday. Every day, the AI of CCV would load our luggage onto tarp covered trucks, every day they would take us to the airport as required by the airline, every day they would feed us. As a matter of fact- there were free bar nights every night... after all- you couldn't dive in all that rain. There was no charge for the rooms, and CCV gave us vouchers against our next stay- even though we had a great week plus a few days of rain extra.

Service is the word. Not all of them do it to that extent, but that's why you pick and chose with care.

No one way for everyone, but just making one sentence, unsupported statements and challenges is contrary to the ideal of a message board such as this.

I go to dive, and wherever we go in the world, we usually are at an AI or liveaboard (a floating AI). We go to dive.

Back
Top Bottom