Question Budget friendly Cold Water rated sidemount Reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSD Diver99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finishing TDI Deco class next month. Eventually I will go Cave cert route and decided I will move to Sidemount either way. Looking for recommendations on a cold water rated reg set? Would value your suggestions. Sidemount specific application Reg set..

Most modern things are fine.

Apeks DST, Scubapro MK19 or MK25, DGX Gears, Dive Rite XT, Deep6 Signature, etc

If you’re in the US, I wouldn’t recommend purchasing Apeks new. All of the above can be used with backmount or sidemount.

Minimum requirements:
Swivel
Fifth Port
Serviceable

Deciding you’ll move to sidemount seems premature, but c’est la vie

Thank you for your feedback... turning 52.. knees aren't what they used to be... its mostly for easy of getting in and out of the water...

Xdeep come to mind.
lol

1685993796592.png

Thank you for your feedback... turning 52.. knees aren't what they used to be... its mostly for easy of getting in and out of the water...
For anything other than a quarry (or small lake) this doesnt really pan out.

Getting in and out off a boat requires an understanding boat captain, waddling around in full widemount, or putting tanks on in the water (with attendant risks or either dropping them or smashing into the side of the boat in rougher water as they are passed down to you)
Getting in and out at any kind of beach site requires you to done and doff tanks in the surf - including stashing unclipped ones somehow so they don't get bashed to pieces (or lost). Plus at least double the trips through the surf zone.

Knock yourself out with new toys but SM isnt any easier despite the perception/hype.

For anything other than a quarry (or small lake) this doesnt really pan out.

Getting in and out off a boat requires an understanding boat captain, waddling around in full widemount, or putting tanks on in the water (with attendant risks or either dropping them or smashing into the side of the boat in rougher water as they are passed down to you)
Getting in and out at any kind of beach site requires you to done and doff tanks in the surf - including stashing unclipped ones somehow so they don't get bashed to pieces (or lost). Plus at least double the trips through the surf zone.

Knock yourself out with new toys but SM isnt any easier despite the perception/hype.
Most of my dives are in quarries (unfortunately) LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom