Buddy monogamy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have one regular buddy (S. Starfish) and it's great to dive with him. We are so used to eachother's dive styles and communication is made really easy. our air consumption is pretty similar as well (i know i know, being the girl i should be better at it, but i am always so frozen that i breathe more than i should :D). but yea, we are very used to eachother's styles and it makes diving with him comfortable and easy.

having said that, i dive with other people as well to change it up. there's maybe 3-4 other people i dive with periodically. and it's always interesting to see how the others dive.

I have a regular buddy and a pool of other divers that I´d dive with anytime within each particular persons limits.

I also like diving with "unknowns" once in a while, particularly on a site that I know and may be a bit bored with, diving with someone new will keep the dive interesting...

Do wish I had ‘mentor’ types to be with on a constant basis but, oh well can’t have everything. I do think variety has been beneficial for me as a new diver – a broader range of style, manner etc. for me to cull what works for me or learn options, the why’s and where’s. I learn from everyone I’ve dived with.
I’d guess if I was uncomfortable diving I’d prefer to get used to one person as a comfort zone but it seems pretty limiting for learning. I’d be prone to learn a fixed methodology, it may or not be correct, and most likely quite biased. What would I have to compare it to?
Also I’d hazard a guess if I was diving more in the technical line I would prefer to be in a developed known companion zone.
I don’t get the scared silly or jealous of swapping attitudes, I’d a thunk the monogamous types were DIR’s or just lacked opportunity.

My diving has varied between 'Love the One You're With' and 'Dancing With Myself'

One thing nobody mentioned. My wife is my regular buddy and the big advantage is that I know exactly how her air consumption compares to mine. If I look at my gauge I know without looking what hers will read. Of course I still check it from time to time.
Quite often the DM will ask us to let a couple of unknown divers tag along with us and generally I have to cut the dive shorter than if we were on on our own simply because I don't know what they will consume and I've had a couple of nasty surprises in this respect.

rawls:
Ken...What wreck...Indra I suppose?...What LDS?

Actually it was the Parker (AR315). We dove from my small boat, which compounded the issue, since it was a little bumpy. My intention was to only dive the deck with her, but I failed to hang the anchor on the hull itself and we descended to the sand, where the viz was about 5 feet that day. I sensed the shadow of the hull about 20' away and once we got to the top, the viz was about 15'. She told me later that spotting a small octopus on the deck saved the dive for her, but not enough to want to do it again.

Ken
www.lulu.com/krosemond

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom