Buddy monogamy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A "steady" buddy is a good thing. You learn what to expect as WWW mentioned, and knowing that you can extend your experience a bit more safely. One buddy and I have over 3000 hours in the water together. We can literally talk to each other underwater, and either feels fine leading, and can switch "lead" UW instantly when hunting conditions warrant it. When diving with my wife (about 2000 hours or so underwater with her) or son I'll generally lead as my low vis navigation is a bit better than theirs, but both are entirely capable of leading a team on their own. There are about a dozen others on a short list I'll dive with in any water conditions where they'll get wet.

Beyond that list if conditions are benign enough that I don't mind doing a rescue of an unknown individul I'll dive with almost anyone. OTOH "Other" divers tend to fall into 2 categories. Those who "really" want to dive with me, and those who don't want to get in the same ocean. As a rule I find their attitude is a good sorting device.

FT

Fred, I finally met McAllister Saturday. I enjoyed his reaction to the mention of a couple names. Can you believe he claims you and Matt are good story tellers?

As a new diver I have found it very benificial to change up buddies as I have learnt a lot from each. Then depending on who my buddy is, they have ensured that I am up on my skills and are able to point out errors in my gear set up which I have been able to correct.

I have found a new dive partner which he has 885 dives and he mentioned that it does get boring with the same buddy over and over again and so he likes to mix it up.

Right now for me I don't care as I just want to dive. 20 dives in 2 months, not bad. I need more.

Anyone up for a quickie??? :11: Sorry, it was there and nobody was taking it! :rofl3:

As a newbie I'm meeting new divers left and right. Some of my dive buddy leaders might have shared 3-6 dives, including dives when we were a group but not specifically paired as buddies.

I have a group of buddies I dive with, there is not one person in particular that I consider the first. I kind of work it round robbin and call up the nearest diver to the locale I'm diving, and work my way down the list based on location.

I have many buddies that way. The advantage is I have lots of friends, the disadvantage is that I don't dive often enough with one to learn all the fine points of them. Of course most of them are pretty good divers and we get along fine under water.

I'll dive with new divers as well so I'm a polygamist.

cummings66:
I have a group of buddies I dive with, there is not one person in particular that I consider the first. I kind of work it round robbin and call up the nearest diver to the locale I'm diving, and work my way down the list based on location.

I have many buddies that way. The advantage is I have lots of friends, the disadvantage is that I don't dive often enough with one to learn all the fine points of them. Of course most of them are pretty good divers and we get along fine under water.

I'll dive with new divers as well so I'm a polygamist.
I wouldn't call that polygamy.

You work your way down the list, really not caring who to do it with, as long as it is done. Even take on newbies....... sound to me like a S.L.U.T.

:10:

I have a "core" group of divers that I dive with. I'll buddy up with any of them. They all dive a little different with different skill sets and experience levels. With that said, I make no bones about it that my favoriate dive buddy is The Kraken. It's hard to describe but it feels natural with him as my "wing man".

Walter:
Fred, I finally met McAllister Saturday. I enjoyed his reaction to the mention of a couple names. Can you believe he claims you and Matt are good story tellers?

WWW,
Compared to him we're pikers.:D
OTOH he has about 30 years underwater more than most of us still breathing, and did most of it before the invention of BCs and single hose regs. I have read some of his memoirs. Awesome reading. :eyebrow:

Matt and I have had some outstanding dives together, both good and bad. Regretably it's the tales of the bad ones that offer the best learning opportunity for beginning divers... kind of along the lines of "we survived this, but the rush wasn't worth the pain so don't try it." :shakehead I'm afraid it colors their perception of us. :wink:

BTW My clan is looking to seriously wet next July, along with at least two others of the short list.

There are several berths still open. Interested in coming along? If so PM for details.

FT

My husband is my regular buddy. It is nice to have a buddy who lives in the same house for those unexpected day off shore dives.
On boats, we have sometimes been asked to take on a third diver, with mixed results.
I have gone diving with other buddies, locally and on trips. But its always been someone we both know, and its usually been a DM or instructor, looking for a good excuse to go diving, so I always learn a lot.
I do tend to get frustrated sometimes when my husband/buddy doesn't understand exactly what I'm trying to tell him underwater. Or maybe he just pretends he doesn't!
I think my expectations of him are higher than they might be of someone else.

I have been called a scubaho. Mostly because I'll dive with most anybody. Gives you somebody different to learn from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom