Buddy Line!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harvo, thanks for the explanation. It would be a challenge searching for something in 2 foot vis. I have read threads on your Venice beach here, they are interesting to me as we have our own Venice Beach here in So Cal. I guaratee that the west coast Venice is different than the east coast version. Look it up on the net, you might find it interesting also. It is worl famous for weird but I am very sure that there are no sharks teeth here.....LOL
Bill

Impossible to search for something in 2' vis??????
Man that is FANTASTIC vis for searching!
Most every case where I have been searching for something the vis was 0 inches.

Now, for searching in 0 vis a prefer a different system. It is called surface supplied with a tender. Coms can be voice or just pull signals on the tether. This way the diver can concentrate on the task at hand and still be protected.

Pick the tools and systems best for the task at hand and use them in the safest manner possible. If the risk is too high for you own comfort level at the time, don't do the dive.

Do what you want.
But know what you do.

Pipe... you are right 2ft is good vis for searching. Its hard to keep track of a buddy in the process.

I personally have no problem solo diving.

This is a sore subject for some people.
More people die driving a car and they dont have buddies (sometimes) haha.

I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would add my 2cents as a regular user of buddy lines on low viz dives. My buddy is the same on 99% of my dives - my wife, and so we are well accustomed to each others diving habits but in certain circumstances I consider the buddy line definitely reduces work loading. During (external) wreck dives with low viz so bad that it is just too easy to lose the wreck never mind keep worrying where your partner is. Often these were coupled with surface current so the best way back to the boat was via the anchor line. Combine this with depth over 20m and the last thing you want is to have to pop up to the surface to find your buddy.
I saw the comment about an uncontrolled ascent pulling the other partner to the surface. My experience is exactly the contrary and I am sure many lives have been saved by buddy lines. If I feel I am being pulled up suddenly I dump air, quickly shorten the line and dump my partners BC. A situation averted. I speak from experience.
Finally, in a situation where we spent a long time drifting on the surface waiting for some passing boat to pick us up after the tidal flow did not behave according to the tide tables, the buddy line kept us together with minimum effort, without constant finning.
What I use for a buddy line is a 2m elastic rubber bungee cord 5mm diameter (about 1/4"), with a knotted loop at each end. The loops are just big enough to easily fit over a gloved hand which leaves about 1m50 (4-5ft) of free line. The elasticity makes it easy to take the loops off the wrist. Often when changing direction and or going around corners the process of changing wrists comes automatically and simple.
So I always carry one in my BC pocket and use it when we feel it is convenient.

Back
Top Bottom