Buddy Line!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

A reef hook is a small metal hook attached to a short line that you hook into the subtrate or rocks underlying the reef. (you don't want to plant it in the middle of a living coral head.) I am not aware of anyone who sells them and they are a little controversial, particularly with the extreme folks who think divers should not wear gloves to ensure they don't touch the reef.

Personally, I think using a reef hook is a far better option for a diver than holding onto the reef in a current and I think they offer saftey advantages if a down current is encountered. A reef hook also has applications in freshwater where a diver may be diving in a river with a rocky bottom and strong current.

A reef hook may not be all you need however. In my expereince I have noted that many regs with soft rubber or large sized purge buttons or large forward facing holes in the front cover will free flow when hooked on and looking up current. It's one of the reasons I switched to a D400 second stage several years ago.

This link covers the controversy as well as how to make one.

http://www.divernet.com/technique/0101hook.htm

I found my First MEGALONDON itis 2 3/4" from botton to outside top. I will try and upload a picture for everyone to see.

Walter once bubbled...
A buddy line can easily double as a jon line. I was using a buddy line as a jon line long before I'd ever heard of a jon line.

Now I know what a buddy line is and the pros and cons. I have also learned what a reef line is. Can someone define the jon line for me.

thanks

A jon line has a clip at the end that you can attach to the anchor line. The two uses for one that I know of are:

1- Extra security when doing a deco/safety stop in a strong current.

2- Allows you to hang away from the line if there is a crowd stopped at the same depth you are.

Scott

ScottyK once bubbled...
A jon line has a clip at the end that you can attach to the anchor line. The two uses for one that I know of are:

1- Extra security when doing a deco/safety stop in a strong current.

2- Allows you to hang away from the line if there is a crowd stopped at the same depth you are.

Scott

The anchor line got pretty crowded at 15 feet on the last Blackbeards trip I did. Could have used one of these. Plus some of the mooring lines (ropes) we used had some kind of sea lice on them that caused an itchy rash.

If you were clipped off with a jon line you would have had both hands free to scratch yourself :D

Just look at all the SCUBA related things I have learned in one day.

That would be item number three in Jon line usage.

Lice rash scratching to pass the time on safety stops.:devious:

Wow, reading this thread is enlightening. I live and dive in So Cal and the vis is usually 25- 100 feet at the islands. I have dove in 0 vis but I was being paid to find something at the time. To me diving is a visual sport and its hard to imagine diving poor vis with strong currents as a norm. We do have both out here but not on an ongoing basis. I use my buddy lines to hang gear at the stern of my boat after a dive is done. Maybe I'm spoiled a bit. Dive safe
Bill

Harvo once bubbled...
Have you used a buddy line and it gets tangled up or in the way. Try placing a fishing bulber in the middle of the line.
It will keep the line in a upside down "V" shape between you and your buddy.

Does any one do this?

My buddy line had that one I got it from the store.
Only used it once. Not with good results. We're still arguing who made the inital bouyancy error thats caused the 2 of us to end up at the surface (involuntarily) :upset:

Dynobill- the area that started this topic is on the gulf side of FL. Venice Beach, it is the shark tooth captial. The Vis ranges from 25 ft to almost "0" 6 inces. With Vis. being less then 2 ft. It is impossible to search for teeth and keep an eye on your buddy.

Back
Top Bottom