Buddy Line!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy line is an excellent tool if used properly in the right situation. It is not useful and is a hazard in areas such as described by DA Aquamaster. OTOH, it is a safety device in other areas. There is no need to watch your buddy every second when properly using a buddy line. A buddy line does not mean you ignore a buddy, it is a tool. It is still important to check on your buddy frequently.

All in the world a buddy line does is extend "touch contact" 3 or 4 feet! If you don't want the flexibility, then by all means don't use it. But don't go telling everyone else it's useless just because you don't want to use it.
Sheeeeesh!
E.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
All in the world a buddy line does is extend "touch contact" 3 or 4 feet! If you don't want the flexibility, then by all means don't use it. But don't go telling everyone else it's useless just because you don't want to use it.
Sheeeeesh!
E.

I disagree. It does extend "touch contact" but it also (1) adds to task loading (2) reduces the free room you have to dive by creating another obstacle (3) presents an entanglement hazard and (4) limits your ability to assist your buddy properly if something happens to him. And (5), if you're inexperienced, then it ensures that you will be directly involved in any lack of control he has over his bouyancy. We talk to great length about RGBM vs Haldane on these forums with the objective of limiting DCS risk but we talk about the buddyline as an innocuous "tool" even though it may have a much greater impact on your DCS risk (especially with a buddy having poor bouyancy control) than any computer on the market. All (and I am not kidding) ALL of the divers I've talked to who have had DCS hits from uncontrolled ascents were dragged to the surface by buddies on buddy-lines. In one such case the diver in question even managed to kill his buddy with an uncontrolled ascent on a buddy line from 50 (yeah count 'em) 50 metres. I might have more contact with divers using buddylines than most because the largest dive-organisation where I live (+/-50,000 members) mandates buddyline use so I see them almost every day. I've even used them myself for activities very similar to the shark-tooth guy but the more I see it, the more I see the consequences and the more I see the benefits of *proper* applicatoin of the buddy system the more convinced I am that a buddyline does *not* belong in the list of best-practices in diving.

If you *want* a buddy line because you're doing something like the shark tooth guy then ok, I can see that. If you think you *need* a buddy line to dive safely then you're not ready to dive in open water. Full stop.

Walter: A question to you. For all of the wise and critically astute things you say I'm utterly dumbfounded that you would advocate using a buddy line. Why?

R..

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

Sounds like a Jon line not a Buddy line. Jon lines make a lot of sense as do reef hooks in areas with strong currents.

I know what a Jon line is, I know what a buddy line is but what is a reef hook?

From context - I am guessing it is a hook you "anchor in" when facing strong currents? Is this correct? If it is, sure beats trying to hold on. Does anyone have a picture or link or description of a reef hook?

Thanks

First of all I dont see a problem solo diving in water less then 25 feet.

I went diving today at Venice FL, I did not use a buddy line the VIS was 5 feet and I lost my buddy at least 5X's. The last time I was getting ready to surface and I felt a tug on my dive flag line, I figured he surfaced.

So I went up and he was not there, our dive flags got tangled up. I then followed his line down and begin searching again.

WALTER- I found my First MEGALONDON itis 2 3/4" from botton to outside top. I will try and upload a picture for everyone to see.

Glub once bubbled...

I know what a Jon line is, I know what a buddy line is but what is a reef hook?

From context - I am guessing it is a hook you "anchor in" when facing strong currents? Is this correct? If it is, sure beats trying to hold on. Does anyone have a picture or link or description of a reef hook?

A reef hook is a small metal hook attached to a short line that you hook into the subtrate or rocks underlying the reef. (you don't want to plant it in the middle of a living coral head.) I am not aware of anyone who sells them and they are a little controversial, particularly with the extreme folks who think divers should not wear gloves to ensure they don't touch the reef.

Personally, I think using a reef hook is a far better option for a diver than holding onto the reef in a current and I think they offer saftey advantages if a down current is encountered. A reef hook also has applications in freshwater where a diver may be diving in a river with a rocky bottom and strong current.

A reef hook may not be all you need however. In my expereince I have noted that many regs with soft rubber or large sized purge buttons or large forward facing holes in the front cover will free flow when hooked on and looking up current. It's one of the reasons I switched to a D400 second stage several years ago.

This link covers the controversy as well as how to make one.

http://www.divernet.com/technique/0101hook.htm

Diver0001 once bubbled...

I disagree. It does extend "touch contact" but it also (1) adds to task loading
Pure BS. It is much easier to maintain touch contact with a short buddy line running from hand to hand than any other way. It reduces task loading considerably, allowing each diver to concentrate on other tasks than maintaining contact.
(2) reduces the free room you have to dive by creating another obstacle
And your point is? Touch contact by its nature reduces the free room you have to dive. I do not understand what you mean by "obstacle" in this context.
(3) presents an entanglement hazard
While this is intuitively true, in thirty years of diving and using a buddy line in those limited circumstances where it was warranted I have never had a problem with entanglement.
(4) limits your ability to assist your buddy properly if something happens to him.
Pure BS again. A buddy line provides a calming factor in the first place by easing the task of keeping track of one another, and provides instant access to your buddy should you or he experience any problem.
And (5), if you're inexperienced, then it ensures that you will be directly involved in any lack of control he has over his bouyancy.
I'll grant you that. But I am not inexperienced.
Your post here tells me one thing loud and clear - you have zero experience in the proper use of a buddy line, and you're right - it would be a hazard for you.
As for me - and Walter and Rick - we'll use 'em when they're warranted, because it will be safer than to not use one.
E.

Harvo once bubbled...
First of all I dont see a problem solo diving in water less then 25 feet.

I went diving today at Venice FL, I did not use a buddy line the VIS was 5 feet and I lost my buddy at least 5X's. The last time I was getting ready to surface and I felt a tug on my dive flag line, I figured he surfaced.

So I went up and he was not there, our dive flags got tangled up. I then followed his line down and begin searching again.

WALTER- I found my First MEGALONDON itis 2 3/4" from botton to outside top. I will try and upload a picture for everyone to see.

Where's that picture Harvo?

I want to see it!

We use a buddy line for tropical fish hunting in shallow, sandy conditions where we are "task loaded" already by looking for fish. Having to look after each other without the line would further add to our load.

Any entanglement hazard can be eliminated by proper design. I made a DIY buddy line out of two dog leashes, cut off, and sewn together. Our wrists are loosely looped through the handles, and it can easily be let go of by either of us as needed. We in fact have to often as we go into team capture mode as soon as one of us spots something.

This helps us avoid having to surface if we lose one another as we do this in an area with a fair amount of boat traffic.

There are plenty of dives we do that a buddy line would be a hazard, and it stays home then. The point is to keep an open mind.

Back
Top Bottom