Buddy Dive's Using Different Algorithms (computers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the last several posts in this thread highlight the knowledge gaps we have about predicting DCS. Many different algorithms and models for how it works, but in the end we don't truly KNOW. Until we do we have to stay conservative or accept the risk that comes with not being conservative.

It's easy: ScubaLabs is full of it..

Surely you realise that by refusing to even look at the data that the "full of it" boomerangs back to you.

I was surprised by your rookie post in #21 about the data but it seems it's now explained.

This must be round ?#10 of the debate about what ScubaLab's tests show. I've not seen anyone overstate what that those tests are (mere snapshots for certain dive profiles). I guess you haven't looked at the way I've handled the data in post#4 either.

From what I've seen, when it comes time to start looking at NDLs on a dive, they more or less agree with what one could predict/guess from ScubaLab's tests. Next time you're on a dive trip perhaps give it a go. You don't need much fanfare, just recognise which computers / algos are on board, and watch the hand signals :). I hope obstinance doesn't get in the way. It's a shame if it does because the vast majority of your posts here are very informative and debate the point. Perhaps you might even report back with the results?

Surely you realise that by refusing to even look at the data that the "full of it" boomerangs back to you.

Plural of a handful of random points on 4 random profiles is not data.

I blame PADI: my impression of club-based training in rightpondia is they don't have a cargo cult of NDLs and don't treat mandatory safety stops as "the sky is falling and I want my mommy".

Plural of a handful of random points on 4 random profiles is not data.

I blame PADI: my impression of club-based training in rightpondia is they don't have a cargo cult of NDLs and don't treat mandatory safety stops as "the sky is falling and I want my mommy".

Surely you can do better than that! o_O I have much higher expectations!

OK, how about this: From last year, it was a polite 'put up or shut up' from round #5:
Sure, none of that is scientific proof. But, I would be willing to bet that relative order between the NDLs at max depth for any reasonable dive profile for any SL tested RGBM based computer versus DSAT/16-C based computer (excluding the SP computers) holds as per ScubaLab's results. If you want to take me up on the bet, let's chat offline, sort out the rules, rewards, etc then make a new OP with it.

Surely you can do better than that!

Nope. Call Suunto, get the sources, let's Monte-Carlo them against ZHL of some form and see what comes out. Until then: nope.

There's two basic features of RGBM compared to pure Haldanean model: 1) M-values are reduced by "overpessure gradient" which is 2) further reduced by previous dives. (Assuming Wienke-$vendor implementations are faithful to Wienke's writings.) Add the different number of tissue compartments and their half-times. Yes it makes RGBM more conservative for repetitive diving. The important part is do you think it may have something there?

Let's play nice folks...

I am in awe of members here who have invested the time to gain knowledge of Deco (GF's, tissue loading, etc).
Having said that, I am grateful to be alive.

I became certified in 1970 at San Diego Divers Supply (NASDS) . The only "gauge" I had was a crappy compass and a dive watch that eventually flooded. We had J-valve tanks for our "reserve" and when our reg's started breathing hard we knew it was time to tap into the ~500psi "reserve" and pull down on the J-valve and get to the surface. No safety stops. No fancy computer to tell us our fpm ascent rates. I had no SPG, No depth gauge, nothing. We used to dive the La Jolla Trench just off the Scripps Pier. Depths slope rapidly from 30' to what seemed like infinity. One of my buddies had a really cool Scubapro console that had a depth gauge and a SPG so he was the guy we relied on. Crazy!!! Now most of our diving was at night by the rock jetty's to get lobsters out in the open scavenging the sandy bottom.. Our depth was rarely greater than 30' or so. All shore and rough surf entries and exits. It was so much FUN and we loved every dive!

Now that I have just about every computer and dive tool & accessory possible, I find myself thinking about the gear and the readings more than just enjoying the beauty of the underwater world.

Now that I have just about every computer and dive tool & accessory possible, I find myself thinking about the gear and the readings more than just enjoying the beauty of the underwater world.

:D At one point I found myself spending most of the dives trying to frame shots. I stopped doing that.

Back
Top Bottom