Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from a week at Capt Don's Habitat. 1st Bonaire trip for me. Loved it. Got a bit of a 2nd look when I asked for 2lbs of lead. I confirmed with the girl at the counter, yes, 2lbs. She smiled and gave it to me. Our boat was captained by Rodger and the DM was Gio, they were great the entire trip and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Everyone was always friendly and accommodating. Fortunately (apparently) never encountered Chris.

I get the impression that misunderstandings like this often have to do with a difference in expectations. My great experience is someone else's "I'll never go back there again!" Trip Advisor post. Unless it's really egregious I try to not let one person blow an entire, usually expensive, vacation where I supposed to be relaxing! :D

Yes, there are snotty tourists who make life Hell for operators. If you are in the service industry, though, you need to learn how to deal with that effectively. If I were an operator and people were complaining about getting 28% nitrox and partially filled tanks on dives, I would take those concerns very seriously. If it were happening consistently, I would make make darn sure the people doing the filling heard about it. I would be checking tank pressures and mixes to make sure they were OK before. I certainly would not just tell the the paying customer who is expecting full tanks and 32% that it isn't my fault and walk away. I would expect complaints, and I would make sure my staff can deal with them. It isn't hard. As a customer, I would perceive the failure to attend to such things as a red flag.

That's what I am saying! Thanks.

Just got back from a week at Capt Don's Habitat. 1st Bonaire trip for me. Loved it. Got a bit of a 2nd look when I asked for 2lbs of lead. I confirmed with the girl at the counter, yes, 2lbs. She smiled and gave it to me. Our boat was captained by Rodger and the DM was Gio, they were great the entire trip and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Everyone was always friendly and accommodating. Fortunately (apparently) never encountered Chris.

I get the impression that misunderstandings like this often have to do with a difference in expectations. My great experience is someone else's "I'll never go back there again!" Trip Advisor post. Unless it's really egregious I try to not let one person blow an entire, usually expensive, vacation where I supposed to be relaxing! :D

Sorry, I don't get it. What does Capt Don's have to do with Buddy Dive? :confused:

Yeah, you want the dirt.....

IJS - there are two sides, and usually two perceptions.

I need to make a couple comments:

Were you there the dive before when some over weighted "vacation diver" crashed the reef, destroying a magnificent coral formation?

What was going on at that very time when you inquired as to the potential Thursday diving? Something possibly important? Maybe something they should have been addressing for the next immediate dive (like a full bank of good fills)?

28 vs 32 OMG cancel the dive, something like that just might kill you!! Oh wait, deeper MOD, and I am supposed to test it to verify... and adjust my plan..... OH THE MINUTES LOST!!!! I'll never get them back!!!!

Low tank pressures - AND THEY HAD SPARES - crisis averted.... breathe man, breathe

No mask defog???? - CRISIS!!!! Cancel my flight and reservations, the place has just gone off the edge.

seems there is a short fuse in the OP.... again - IJS...

Aw, c'mon RH! You're picking on the eaches and not hearing her story.

In the past, their fills were consistant and adequate. This time, they were consistantly low.

In the past, the Nitrox was consistant at 32%. This time, it was low, on average 29%

In the past, nice accessories available like mask defog . . . this time, not.

The people needed an attitude adjustment.

You are coming down very hard on someone who is simply asking, "is this just this week, or has someone else seen it?"

Stop being such a :mooner:

Last edited:
LMAO Jax - you too are coming off as one of the "High Maintenance Yankees" so affectionately experienced in world travels.....

Unsafe diving? Lost reservations? Excessive additional charges? Now that would carry a "bad attitude" title. I might not have jumped in the way I did of the title was more like - "Quality Slipping?"

KMA!

In the past, nice accessories available like mask fog . . . this time, not.

I'm sure mask fog was readily available!

Reactions: Jax
Please note the title is "Buddy Dive - bad attitude?" There is a question mark following not an exclamation mark. I can see if you jumped at an exclamation mark because I would have been stating it emphatically. Jax seems to have understood the "attitude" behind my post.

There was mask defog on the dock - so yes it was there - this is not the point. Please people, I am just saying the little niceties were missing that I believe were there before. Just pointing out what seemed to be a change from the normal. I do hope that we hit Buddy on a bad week and our experience is not the norm now. I was just asking for confirmation - one bad week or are things going South at Buddy?

I'm sure mask fog was readily available!

Fixed! :tongue2:

LMAO Jax - you too are coming off as one of the "High Maintenance Yankees" so affectionately experienced in world travels.....

Unsafe diving? Lost reservations? Excessive additional charges? Now that would carry a "bad attitude" title. I might not have jumped in the way I did of the title was more like - "Quality Slipping?"

KMA!

:lol:

Seriously? If I am paying for a good operation (which I do), I expect the services for which I pay.

Say what you will -- you seem to tolerate some pretty low standards -- there are absolute crowds of people willing to make sure those 'little' things are in line, and I have no problem voting with my money.

Back
Top Bottom