Buddy Breathe and Equip Swap - I DID IT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wanted to do Seal training, had to settle for USMC. (never really talked to the Navy) :wink:

what is the purpose of exchanging gear? seems silly to me, can’t think of a situation of ever needing to do so. I understand taking gear off and having mask knocked off regulator pulled out, etc. but exchanging gear? I have a BP/w with a weight belt, my wife has an integrated BC. mine is adjusted to fit me and is not easily adjusted. I guess I will just borrow a BC similar to hers for this but the training value is lost on me.

As others have stated, it is a task loading and problem solving task for the divemaster candidates. I avoid calling it a skill.

The candidates are basically presented a problem. Given a short period of time to develope a plan. Then they must execute it.

For me, the hardest part of the task was dealing with the laughter.

It was easier than I thought. We had 5-10 mins. to discuss it and followed our plan. We started out with each other's gear on, an idea I found here on SB. Exchanged units first with the buddy breathing OOA guy taking his off first. Then fins, then masks. We didn't do weights, but I doubt it would've been a problem. Ironically, equip. removal/replacement on the bottom is still my worst skill. Now, if I can work up to getting that 400 meters done....

We didn't do weights, but I doubt it would've been a problem.

The padi manual states that you should swap everything except exposure protection and weight belts.

4. Have each team swim from the shallow area of the pool/confined water to wa- ter too deep in which to stand.
5. In deeper water, have them begin buddy breathing, then exchange all equip- ment except exposure suit and weight belts.

Nice trick with the other person's gear on though, wish I thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom