Buddy Breathe and Equip Swap - I DID IT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did the instructors do to mess with you? seems like it would be tricky to cause much trouble in a pool?

This skill is not supposed to have instructors adding improvised additions to make it "more challenging" during the evaluated version. If the instructor did as one poster subsequent to this states (purposely reduced vis then jumped in to replace buddy - then introduce issues) this is a definite standards violation if it was on the graded evaluation.

Since there is no provision for this, there is no way to objectively use it for validating the requirement. What next, supply equipment with known failures, or to slip away with a piece of equipment and hide it? Who is to say what is "appropriate" and not appropriate. I've seen too many out there who are excellent divers who are, at best, mediocre instructors, but don't know the difference. To be a good instructor you need both diving and instructional skills. They're not the same. Many instructors wouldn't know what "scaffolded training" is if it bit them, yet they think that they know enough to "teach it their own way." I've always said that not knowing what you don't know is the worst place to be. That's why the evaluation standards are written the way they are.

Now, all of that said and done, if it was to have fun and provide additional opportunity for learning, I can full well see having this kind of additonal training. It provides real advantages. Testing your limits is where you find out what they are.

Seems that a lot of people are posting that instructors are not following the standards - i.e. the example above, making them hold weights during the 15min treading water (from another thread I think) and so on. From my perspective, this would be OK as an additional test/scenario only after the candidate completed the task(s) in accordance with the standards.

Anyway, for the buddy breathe equipment swap "event" I did mine with a OW student (he was retaking the OW course with his son after not diving for a number of years, IIRC, so he was not technically uncertified). We did the exercise after the four confined water dives . I briefed him prior on exactly what order we would do things in, planned "breaks" in the action where we just stopped and did nothing but buddy breathe for a few cycles to keep him calm. We had no problems at all, and it was actually pretty fun. Full five points.

My instructor didn't add stressors beyond what normally exists in the equipment exchange. My buddy and I really enjoyed the exercise. Before we did it we had practiced the entire exercise on our own in a pool session. When I did the actual event, I did it twice in the same day because we had three candidates. The biggest problem I had was that I am a very slow breather. In my buddy breathing cycle, sometimes, my buddy would get air deprived (CO2 buildup).

Although my instructor didn't make the statement "if you bolt, then keep going to the door", I was very surprised when I found stories of DMCs bolting here on the board. I think that is an indicator of not being comfortable underwater and possibly being pressured into taking the DM course. Any way, you should gain more comfort underwater if you think you need it.

Bri

I tell my Candidates, before we ever get in the pool the first time....that if you bolt, you better just keep right on going, out the door....

Wow.. ok. Not too much into the CANDIDATE part of Divemaster Candidate, are we?

The DM course is also a LEARNING EXPERIENCE, not just a test of how you can bench press a Buick u/w while buddy breathing in a blackout situation with a shark nibbling on your fin and depth charges going off all around you...

Just like other aspects of the DM course, people CAN and DO re-do this scenario. Only one of the reasons why this is NOT a course that only takes a week to complete.

what is the norm for swaping weight? if my wife gets my weight and I get hers we are going to have a problem unless we are allowed to hold onto each other. also hers are integrated and mine are on a belt. I suppose I could work it out by removing weight from her pouches and adding it to the weight belt. is that part of the challenge?

what is the norm for swaping weight? if my wife gets my weight and I get hers we are going to have a problem unless we are allowed to hold onto each other. also hers are integrated and mine are on a belt. I suppose I could work it out by removing weight from her pouches and adding it to the weight belt. is that part of the challenge?

Directly from Instructor Manual:
In deeper water, have them begin buddy breathing, then exchange all equipment except exposure suit and weight belts.

--

Basically, swapping weight is not part of the exercise and being made to do so (I am not assuming you are/will be) is not in accordance with the standards.

When I did the exchange, I just put a couple lbs of weight in my shorts pockets as did my buddy. No problem at all.

Congratulations on completing the exercise. It does however point-out how much things have changed over the years. I use to teach doff & don of all SCUBA equipment (including weight belt) and equipment swap under blacked-out conditions (with mild harassment) to an openwater candidate. We felt at the time it was a good experience and increased diver confidence and safety.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you were able to ace it. It does however bring-up the question, if it's a beneficial exercise, why wait to the DM level before doing it? Training standards have really dropped over the years.

Congratulations once again!

I always wanted to do Seal training, had to settle for USMC. (never really talked to the Navy) :wink:

what is the purpose of exchanging gear? seems silly to me, can’t think of a situation of ever needing to do so. I understand taking gear off and having mask knocked off regulator pulled out, etc. but exchanging gear? I have a BP/w with a weight belt, my wife has an integrated BC. mine is adjusted to fit me and is not easily adjusted. I guess I will just borrow a BC similar to hers for this but the training value is lost on me.

I always wanted to do Seal training, had to settle for USMC. (never really talked to the Navy) :wink:

what is the purpose of exchanging gear? seems silly to me, can’t think of a situation of ever needing to do so. I understand taking gear off and having mask knocked off regulator pulled out, etc. but exchanging gear? I have a BP/w with a weight belt, my wife has an integrated BC. mine is adjusted to fit me and is not easily adjusted. I guess I will just borrow a BC similar to hers for this but the training value is lost on me.

The idea behind exchanging gear (from my perspective) is two-fold. First it requires the buddy pair to work together, increasing familiarity with the other persons equipment. Secondly, it increases personal confidence in removing/retrieving personal equipment. Confidence instills a sense of well-being that will help prevent panic in a difficult situation.

I personally have had my equipment caught-up on numerous occasions and have removed my gear (removal of rope or monofilament line while wreck diving, for example). So the exercise has a practical reason other than those training benefits mentioned.

You wont really ever do it, just task loading/problem sloving/stress management.

From IM:
The primary goal of the equipment exchange is problem solving, but with an added
level of unanticipated problems and performance under stress. Because the exercise
creates an environment with unforeseeable difficulties, candidates have to apply
their experience and knowledge creatively, to meet the demands of the moment.
This is an important aspect of leading divers and solving problems on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom