Buddy Bailed on me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which Quarry? I see you are in NC, is it a PDRA Quarry? If its Lake Norman Quarry then there will be lots of people around on the weekend. Just show up with a big sign that says "Buddy Needed" and I'll bet you find one.
If your going to be alone at a quarry then thats bad. Even a non-diving-related accident could be a problem if your alone behind a locked gate (even though I go swimming that way all the time).
New divers can find it difficult to find dive buddys. Many divers have their little groups that they know and are comfortable with, but with a little effort it should not be too hard and as long as you show that you take it serious most will be happy do dive with you a 2ed, 3red, etc time.
I have not used this service, but you might also try ScubaBoard - Find a Dive Buddy I would check the profile and recent posts of the names you get to see if they might be a good buddy canadate.

Hey, I dive at the PDRA in your neck of the woods... I did not know you could dive solo... In fact, I thought it was prohibited!!!

To the OP (JTH2711) if I did not already have plans for this weekend and if you were local to me, I would go out on a dive with you...! FYI, if you do dive the PDRA quarry at Lake Norman, water temps at the first thermocline drops pretty quick @ 28'. 3mm is warm enough to stay above but you will need more to break through...

Which Quarry? I see you are in NC, is it a PDRA Quarry? If its Lake Norman Quarry then there will be lots of people around on the weekend. Just show up with a big sign that says "Buddy Needed" and I'll bet you find one.
If your going to be alone at a quarry then thats bad. Even a non-diving-related accident could be a problem if your alone behind a locked gate (even though I go swimming that way all the time).
New divers can find it difficult to find dive buddys. Many divers have their little groups that they know and are comfortable with, but with a little effort it should not be too hard and as long as you show that you take it serious most will be happy do dive with you a 2ed, 3red, etc time.
I have not used this service, but you might also try ScubaBoard - Find a Dive Buddy I would check the profile and recent posts of the names you get to see if they might be a good buddy canadate.
No it's not A PDRA quarry. I'm not gonna give names but its in Thomasville. I think you can put 2 and 2 together since you are from NC not far from here. For the rest those I appreciate your statements and concerns. I have worked very hard to pursue this sport. I have fought for a year and half to lose weight and get in shape to pursue this. I think the reason this idea even popped in my head is because Since certification my opportunity to go diving has been reduced to virtually nil. I am just having considerable difficulty finding people whose goals are similar to mine. I'm trying to find some way of getting in the water more.

Hey, I dive at the PDRA in your neck of the woods... I did not know you could dive solo... In fact, I thought it was prohibited!!!

To the OP (JTH2711) if I did not already have plans for this weekend and if you were local to me, I would go out on a dive with you...! FYI, if you do dive the PDRA quarry at Lake Norman, water temps at the first thermocline drops pretty quick @ 28'. 3mm is warm enough to stay above but you will need more to break through...
I plan on joining PDRA next spring. Sounds like a great way to get some experience.

Solo diving is in fact prohibited at PDRA Quarrys. Not solo swimming however. (Floatation device still required)

Quarry's can be especially dangerous, and private quarrys that have not been maintained for divers even more so. I would not solo dive one even if it were allowed.

To OP.. if your in Thomasville then you might want to drive to a PDRA quarry. You can be admitted a sa guest this weekend. Call you local shop and ask them if they know any PDRA members that might have you along.

Most quarries go absolutely bug eyed ballistic when they catch solo divers.

I was at a mid-Atlantic quarry last spring and got screamed at by the scuba Nazi because my buddy was on the other end of the wreck reel line waiting for me to reel-in the line. We were told that we were to remain in sight of each other at all times.

The local quarry here is private and will not allow you entry unless you have a solo card or the name of your diving partner.

I'm a very new diver. I very seriously considered diving solo on my first post-cert dive because I couldn't find a buddy. I ended up finding a shop to do a dive with, but if I couldn't find a shop I would have dived solo.

Having said that there are a few things I think need to be considered by anyone considering diving solo, whether they have 1 dive or 1000.

1) Emergency response: How do you respond in emergency situations?
--I'm very comfortable in emergency situations, though, and I'm very well aware of my responses to unexpected things. I'm a trained Search and Rescue team member and I used to teach climbing. I have a lot of time dealing with stressful situations with potentially life-threatening outcomes if I do things wrong.

2) How do you cope with panic? I think this, as a new diver, is probably the most likely "unknown" factor you're likely to encounter. Dealing with emergencies is one thing, but dealing with emergencies caused by your own panic is entirely different. Do you panic? Have you ever found yourself, diving with a partner, on the edge of a panic situation? If so, forgo the dive, because that panic will only be worse as a solo.
--This was actually the big concern for me when I was considering my dive... I have seen myself start to breath quickly and recognized it for what it was at the time. I am aware of the symptoms I show of panic and how to defuse them quickly before it becomes a real issue. If I were thinking of diving in an environment with significantly lower viz I would really register this as my #1 concern because we generally consider visibility as a major factor in our underwater comfort.

3) How comfortable are you with buoyancy, navigation, and the like?
--I was considering keeping my first dive to less than 30 feet and specifically working on buoyancy and navigation in an area with high traffic and high visibility. Will a quarry have high visibility and will others notice you if you're having issues under water? At 40 feet you're beyond the 1 atmosphere (2 total) that you would have at 30 feet and your chances of doing a safe CESA are significantly more difficult, in my inexperienced estimation.

4) Are you truly comfortable with all your OW skills?
-- I've been in the water for 20 years snorkeling, skiing, surfing, sailing, and just about any other water activity you can participate in. I am very comfortable in the water and I was especially comfortable with the skills I knew I had. This is obviously important to consider but for me was the least of the concerns I've listed.

Those are the big issues I was considering and I'm sure there are at least 3 or 4 more that more experienced divers will be able to list.

All told, I'm a fan of doing things solo because I think you learn a lot about yourself and about the activity that you're participating in, not to mention the freedom it allows you. That said, it's something that should not be considered lightly and shouldn't be done simply because someone bailed on you, in my opinion. You've gotten some great suggestions on how to fill that buddy slot or possibly get a rain check on the rental by talking to your shop. I'll also mention that you should post in your geographic region right here on Scubaboard and look for a new buddy as well... then consider solo if you're comfortable with all the concerns that people list for being a solo diver and it's the right choice for you.

Last edited:
I've been buddyless at the quarry several times and have always found it easy to find someone willing to let me dive with them. Often the instructor of a class won't mid someone tagging along at the class periphery, and they're usually going to a platform or easy sites that will let you practice your buoyancy.

Just show up and don't be shy. Politely ask the groups you see if you can come along too, one will almost certainly say sure.

I think you'd be fine solo diving, but you may want to stay shallower than 40 feet. Are there platforms that you could hang around at say 25 feet to work on the skills you mentioned?

Also, check the rules at your quarry. Some don't allow solo diving, some allow it only with a solo certification.

I think the reason this idea even popped in my head is because Since certification my opportunity to go diving has been reduced to virtually nil. I am just having considerable difficulty finding people whose goals are similar to mine. I'm trying to find some way of getting in the water more.

Depending on your lifestyle, this difficulty will be a permanent issue.

Some people join clubs, other marry buddies, some grow them from babies, and others just skip the buddy subject all together.

Know that each option has a level of effort with its corresponding level of reliability.

I've never done it but I imagine it is fairly easy to sign up for a dive club. Now I wonder if you can get a buddy from that club when YOU need it, or if it has to fit too many parameters. Probably depends on the club so research is needed.

An spouse, child (or relative in general) may have a greater window of availability, but if you don't have them already, it will take a while to find (grow?) them.

Then comes the controversial "solo" diving. May or may not be for you, if it does it will eliminate all together the issue you have for this weekend but it requires a specific frame of mind. The fact you are considering it, regardless of your level of readiness may be an indicator that in the long run that will be your solution.

Other than that, only you can tell what is acceptable risk. Getting into specifics some one brought up the usefulness of a "safety tube" in a quarry and I have to agree. Unless there is boat traffic, what would that tube do?

I am just looking for advice and additional safety I should adhere to thanks .

Think about the last few dives you did at that location. Add to those dives as many problems as you can think of and their solutions.
Now try to be objective, this is the tricky part.
Can you tell if you called most of the potential problems? You'll never be able to predict 100%, who ever thinks it is possible is just delusional, but you should produce a pretty big list because things do happen.
Assuming you can honestly answer yes, can you apply those solutions by yourself? That has to be a resounding YES, followed by the understanding that if you don't solve whatever the problem is, the consequences are: "no more diving"

Keep in mind a "safety tube" assumes that someone, other than you will do something. Right there you have the wrong premises for a solo dive.

You may not find an answer for this weekend, but you may want to figure out what is it going to be for the next time you have the resources (time, money, whatever) to go diving again.

I think the reason this idea even popped in my head is because Since certification my opportunity to go diving has been reduced to virtually nil. I am just having considerable difficulty finding people whose goals are similar to mine. I'm trying to find some way of getting in the water more.
what goals are those? You can find people but consider them incompatible?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom