Buddy Bailed on me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right because that is before your suit really begins to compress if I am not mistaken.

Actually, it is because in the first 30 feet or so changes in buoyancy are the most dramatic (the pressure doubles from the surface to 33 feet....)

Come talk to us over on the "Dark Side" regarding solo (the Solo Forum). You may not get different answers, but will not get the "you're gonna die" comments either.

As a 30+ year solo diver, my recommendation is to wait a bit longer, get some more dives in.

Best wishes.

provided you and your family promises NOT to SUE anyone connected with SCUBA, not PADI, not Scubaboard, not your dive buddy, not me, (you get the idea) then I say "make your own decision and live with the consequences"...
There was a time when there was no such thng as PADI, dive buddies, etc....of course, the death rate was a lot higher then........

Whether he dives deep or shallow, he'll still be ascending through the shallow area where it's easier to get expansion injuries. The benefit of practicing at 25 feet is that this depth is one of the more difficult in which to control your buoyancy, and when you can control your buoyancy here, well, that's the hardest part (it was for me anyway).
Yes hell be ascending and descending in that area regardless, but the more time you spend there, the more time you have to make a cockup there.
THAT however was not the point, the point is that some of the biggest dangers are shallow, not neccesarilly deep.
You can still make a perfectly fine CESA from 60 ft. just as you can from 25 ft.

I dont recommend planning to do either one and Im not encouraging anyone to solo dive at any depth, thats a decision thats for them to make and one that you shouldnt make "on a whim" just because your dive buddy couldnt come with you one weekend..

But as I said in my first post in this thread, this topic is better suited in the section dedicated for it than in basic scuba discussions..

I think that having a buddy bail on you isn't the right reason to dive solo.

As an alternative plan for this weekend, is there a pool you can play in? I often spend an hour or two a week "solo" "diving" in a swimming pool just to play with buoyancy in 4 or 5 feet of water. I've found it worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom