Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK... I'm kidding about DIR... sorta... actually I'm only kidding about kidding. So much of what a diver learns in even the fundamentals class works wonders for being a photosnapper and an excellent buddy at the same time: Situational Awareness/Buddy Skills & Buoyancy Control/Non-silting Fin Kicks, ect...

catherine96821:
The degree of vigilance often described here would not be enjoyable for me.

Some people want to be REALLY careful...and some people want to have fun to the point where the hand ringing is a detriment to our own experience.

Catherine, to clear up two misperceptions:

1) *The degree of vigilance* is not onerous as you assume. It can actually become an unconscious awareness ~ connecting you to everything else on the dive like a spider's web. You feel the tiniest vibrations in the fabric of the dive. You focus on one thing but still see all.

2) You think we are REALLY careful, to the point of not having fun? Well, I suppose we are careful not to exceed our competence... but I daresay some of the dives we do and the places we do them would cause many of the divers on this board to wring their hands while sitting it out *safely* at home.

Arrrrrr_.jpg

Limeyx, most often with my regular dive buddies, we all have small cameras. Some are even waterproof. :D

Puffer Fish:
Dennis, as you know, it is easier to take pictures, if you are focused on taking them. It is one thing to dive with a long standing buddy and quite another to go on a dive, be assigned a "buddy" and then expect this perfect stranger to be worried that you are safe and protected while taking pictures.

In the latter case, one becomes a solo diver, or does not take pictures. In the first case, one can have all sorts of rules about being fair and nice,etc, etc., as well as clear rules that work.

If you are going to be a solo diver, be a good one, and you do that. The one time you actually got lost, you just aborted the dive. (you got lost, thanks to "reef wrecker" setting up a giant smoke screen, that made seeing the group impossible.

On the other hand, the concept of always being aware of everything around you, at all times, sounds a bit like a kungfu movie plot. One day I will see someone actually do that, but as of now, I am a skeptic.

The entire concept of having a buddy, should mean that both parties are aware at all times, not that the non-photograph is watching the back of the other. To some extent, when you look through a lense, you, for that moment, become a solo diver.

I remember that dive Puff, heavy current and bad vis. The reason I stayed behind was because the "bottom finner" was stirring up even more silt. That is a good point about solo diving. With the heavy current I was unable to take pictures properly and I knew that I was heading out into the shipping lanes. After you were gone for 5 minutes, I shot my SMB and was drifting. Being solo you have to be responsible enough to know if you should abort. Rusty and the rest of the DMs know my skill level so he just continued the dive around the corner with you guys. I drifted past the corner and had no desire, this was the 3rd dive of the day, to work like mad to get back there. The prudent thing to do was come up after my safety stop. I was about 1/4 mile past the corner when I surfaced but the boat was following me because he saw my SMB.
I do have an established plan that I go over with the DM before the dive. I'll be tagging along behind the group but if I see something I want to stop and take a picture of the group will continue on. At 55 minutes I will shoot my SMB and be up at the 60 minute mark. I do that not because my air is low necessarily but to be fair to the others on the boat and not to have them waiting too long for me which is selfish. A lot of dives they are just back on the boat when I come up.

point taken Uncle Pug. My point is that I enjoy exceding my competence and its not fair to not have that on the table. Like I said, I don't think it makes me a bad person if I don't involve the unwilling. To be honest, the recent legal postings have made the impression on me that I have more to fear from buddies than to gain. I have been diving for a long time and my risk assesments are working for ME but I am choosing not to impose them on others not of like thinking, that's all. Could we at least agree that is fair?

Good post Dennis, because it is worthwhile for people to see how we dive, how we think, because there are many excellent divers out there diving this philosophy, but they have no voice here. Or don't bother to post for fear of being told they are doing it wrong.

Mike Veitch:
I prefer not to see anyone underwater.... :D

There... now you have a photography troll... :wink:

Well then I suggest you close your eyes!! :D

How are you going to keep Catherine and Dennis in line if you can't see them? Seems like a rather larger conflict of interest! :11doh:

catherine96821:
point taken Uncle Pug. My point is that Like I said, I don't think it makes me a bad person if I don't involve the unwilling. To be honest, the recent legal postings have made the impression on me that I have more to fear from buddies than to gain. I have been diving for a long time and my risk assesments are working for ME but I am choosing not to impose them on others not of like thinking, that's all. Could we at least agree that is fair?

Good post Dennis, because it is worthwhile for people to see how we dive, how we think, because there are many excellent divers out there diving this philosophy, but they have no voice here. Or don't bother to post for fear of being told they are doing it wrong.

I hear what you're saying Catherine. From reading this thread i can tell you i'd rather dive with you than the DIR crowd. Even if we'd be wringing our hands and crying on each others shoulders because we're not as cool as the Men in Black.

Honestly every thread that turns into this DIR preaching stuff sounds exactly the same no matter what the topic is, though the photography forum is usually a santuary. Once you've read one thread about how split fins will kill you you've read em all.

I am DIW

Chris

wow, OEX2, you guys even dress in the same outfits!

Uncle Pug:
OK... I'm kidding about DIR... sorta... actually I'm only kidding about kidding. So much of what a diver learns in even the fundamentals class works wonders for being a photosnapper and an excellent buddy at the same time: Situational Awareness/Buddy Skills & Buoyancy Control/Non-silting Fin Kicks, ect...

Catherine, to clear up two misperceptions:

1) *The degree of vigilance* is not onerous as you assume. It can actually become an unconscious awareness ~ connecting you to everything else on the dive like a spider's web. You feel the tiniest vibrations in the fabric of the dive. You focus on one thing but still see all.

2) You think we are REALLY careful, to the point of not having fun? Well, I suppose we are careful not to exceed our competence... but I daresay some of the dives we do and the places we do them would cause many of the divers on this board to wring their hands while sitting it out *safely* at home.

Limeyx, most often with my regular dive buddies, we all have small cameras. Some are even waterproof. :D

Situational awareness is not limited to the domain of the DIR diver and I do realize you are not saying that...I hope. A lot of the dive professionals I see that dive every day have the same "spidey sense" you talk about. With their experience they can tell with a glance how their group is doing and if any individuals might be having any problems. They can tell on the boat if they have to keep an eye on a particular diver. It is inherent in some people, a lot of the top players in hockey, football and other sports, rise to the top because of their ability to "see the whole field" and analyze what is going on in just a glance. I've not taken Fundies but I believe that is one of the things they teach and what you are referring to.
I do realize that you go to places where other divers, including me, would not venture. I have no desire to do those sorts of dives. Deep is one thing but overhead environments like caves I'm not comfortable in. These types of diving require a very high degree of discipline and I know DIR training gives you that.

Back
Top Bottom