Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's ok anicla. I have the same problem. :D

Not to beat a dead horse, but one of the most important skill sets that a course like Fundies beats into the student is being a good buddy and approaching the dive from a team mentality.

Shall I paraphrase John Wayne - Diving can be tough. Diving is tougher if you're stupid.

The thing I'm not seeing in anyone's posts is what they think it means to be a good buddy. Within a foot of each other? What if you are taking a picture of your buddy, going for a wide angle shot, and then they have the OOA emergency (although maybe you'll get a great 'candid' shot of the OOA signal)? You're not exactly going to be holding hands at that point (something I've seen from some married buddy pairs, even with reasonable viz).

When I dive as an instructor, I have to keep a close handle on all of the students. Even that can be tough, which is why you want an assistant with more than 2 divers - newbies tend to have problems, and if you have to go to the surface, you can't leave a non-certified diver at the bottom alone. Even then, I have had the oppurtunity to take a camera down with me in a BCD pocket, and pull it out on the tours (oddly, forcing me to watch my own students very closely because I have to be close to take good pictures of them). With newbies, I'm staying within 5 feet of them, and I'm looking for them every few seconds. It takes away from my ability to find things for them on a tour, but that's not the point with an Openwater class, safety is. If you're diving with a buddy where you've been with them for 100+ dives, you know their level, and, most importantly, you don't have a huge liability based on teaching them, its a bit different. Personally, I view the first rule of diving as being the first rule of first aid - don't make yourself an additional problem. If you know your buddy is a responsible diver, you can be a little more slack, because you know you are being a safe diver, and you know your buddy is a safe diver. If you don't know your buddy, you have to assume the worst, because the reality is that not all instruction is equal. I have had numerous AOW dives where I didn't bring my 10+ pound Patima aluminum housing on a deep dive, in part becauyse I didn't teach all of the divers, and in part because it would get in the way and potentially prevent me from stopping a panicking diver from going to the surface. I am willing to bring a small PnS that I can stuff into a BCD pocket on those kind of dives, although it won't come out until I decide I'm in a "safe" water level, and even then its tethered so I can just let it go.

Remember that if you have a problem, you have to evaluate if your buddy sees you, if you're close enough to reach your buddy safely versus going to the surface, and whether you need to do a safety stop. The reverse is true, too. If you or your buddy has a problem, and you're close enough, you swim over, grab and shake your buddy to get their attention, and do what is needed. Team diving is largely an illusion. In general, my opinion is that if you're underwater, you should act as if you are on your own, even if you have a good buddy. If your buddy can help you in an emergency, more power to you. But the goal is to make sure the emergency doesn't happen, not to assume that your buddy is going to be there to help you. After all, if you have a problem with an unknown or inexperianced buddy, you have no guarantee that they are competent enough to help you, certification level not withstanding. You also have no guarantee that they see you, or that they won't just lock up in the face of the emergency. Ever seen a person forget about their skills in a real out of air emergency? I have, I had to take control. Ever have to stop a panicking diver from rushing to the surface because they snorted some water? I have. Ever need to tell a buddy that they are low on air and need to go to the surface right frickin' now? I have. None of those divers had a camera. The camera is irrelevant to this. Watch your own air, keep track of time, watch your bouyancy, don't harass the wildlife, and make sure you keep control of your own emotions so you don't panic. Yes, you should stay close to your buddy so you can help them, and keep good visual contact so you can see them signal. Ideally, your buddy is close so you can potentially take pictures of each other, or you can see the same things on your dive. But when you have close to 100' of viz, its pretty easy to get 20+ feet apart, more than enough that you are really on your own, even though you have the sense of being in a team. I wouldn't do that with students, but when I dive with another buddy who's an instructor himself, yeah, its happened (and then some). Diving is about seeing the underwater life, not constantly watching your buddy. You will *always* have moments where you're not watching your buddy, irregardless of the camera. Bottom line - its not the camera that makes you an irresponsible diver.

I've tried to carry and use a camera a few times. I don't like doing it. I have enough problems with maintaining good situational awareness anyway, and the minute I try to focus on taking a shot, I start to get anxious because I KNOW I'm not aware enough of what's around me any more. I have a hard time imagining how somebody could remain adequately aware of what was going on around them and still shoot pictures, but I imagine it's possible. Just not for me, or at least not yet.

On the other hand, I can say that doing the kind of training I've been doing has made me MUCH more aware of my buddy -- when my husband lets his light dangle while he's doing something, I just jump and immediately check what's going on with him. And you see that out of the corner of your eye -- you don't have to look. And I wouldn't be surprised if somebody who's been at this much longer than I have would be able to see that kind of thing, even while using a viewfinder. It's a little more problematic in tropical waters, where a light is not as useful, because then you'd actually have to be able to perceive changes in your buddy's position, posture, or movement, and that's more subtle than a wagging bright light.

I don't think photographers can't be good buddies, but I think they have to work harder at it. Some are willing to do that, and some aren't.

I dive with the same writer for UW stories. She and I have the same goal-to make pictures and tell a story. She relies on me to plan and execute the dive because I know what I want to see. I rely on her to watch my back when my eye is to the viewfinder, be a model when I need one, and point out things I've overlooked.

We are usually never seperated by more than 10-15 feet. If I'm shooting something she's either in the picture or right at my side. When I'm done shooting I turn to her, make sure she's okay and we move along.

If I'm diving with my girlfriend, a newer diver than myself, I pay more attention to her than I do shooting or anything else. And she knows if I stop to shoot something not to stray. It's not only for my safety but for hers.

I'll be the first to admit it's not easy to dive with a photographer. I think I'm a very good buddy. But I'd be lying if I said I was a better buddy while I'm working on assignment than when I'm not.

I dive as if I were a solo diver - reduntant everything. But I still want a wing man.

Mike Veitch:
I prefer not to see anyone underwater.... :D

There... now you have a photography troll... :wink:

You know I don't mind if you're in the same ocean Mike, as long it's far away from me...:D

bladephotog:
I dive with the same writer for UW stories. She and I have the same goal-to make pictures and tell a story. She relies on me to plan and execute the dive because I know what I want to see. I rely on her to watch my back when my eye is to the viewfinder, be a model when I need one, and point out things I've overlooked.

We are usually never seperated by more than 10-15 feet. If I'm shooting something she's either in the picture or right at my side. When I'm done shooting I turn to her, make sure she's okay and we move along.

If I'm diving with my girlfriend, a newer diver than myself, I pay more attention to her than I do shooting or anything else. And she knows if I stop to shoot something not to stray. It's not only for my safety but for hers.

I'll be the first to admit it's not easy to dive with a photographer. I think I'm a very good buddy. But I'd be lying if I said I was a better buddy while I'm working on assignment than when I'm not. Great thread OE2X!

I dive as if I were a solo diver - reduntant everything. But I still want a wing man.

That is a good point blade. Sort of like Catherine's new philosophy, Solo Divers who happen to be diving with someone. I subscribe to that.

Diver Dennis:
That is a good point blade. Sort of like Catherine's new philosophy, Solo Divers who happen to be diving with someone. I subscribe to that.

Dennis, as you know, it is easier to take pictures, if you are focused on taking them. It is one thing to dive with a long standing buddy and quite another to go on a dive, be assigned a "buddy" and then expect this perfect stranger to be worried that you are safe and protected while taking pictures.

In the latter case, one becomes a solo diver, or does not take pictures. In the first case, one can have all sorts of rules about being fair and nice,etc, etc., as well as clear rules that work.

If you are going to be a solo diver, be a good one, and you do that. The one time you actually got lost, you just aborted the dive. (you got lost, thanks to "reef wrecker" setting up a giant smoke screen, that made seeing the group impossible.

On the other hand, the concept of always being aware of everything around you, at all times, sounds a bit like a kungfu movie plot. One day I will see someone actually do that, but as of now, I am a skeptic.

The entire concept of having a buddy, should mean that both parties are aware at all times, not that the non-photograph is watching the back of the other. To some extent, when you look through a lense, you, for that moment, become a solo diver.

Puffer Fish:
On the other hand, the concept of always being aware of everything around you, at all times, sounds a bit like a kungfu movie plot. One day I will see someone actually do that, but as of now, I am a skeptic.
Come dive with us and you will no longer be a skeptic.

We are DIR.

Believe it or not, I do listen and think. Lynne made the same very good point as Alcina...you have to choose to be a vigilant buddy.

I don't think photographers can't be good buddies, but I think they have to work harder at it. Some are willing to do that, and some aren't.

The degree of vigilance often described here would not be enjoyable for me.
So, I have realized that maybe although it CAN be done, that I choose not to dive in situations where the divers put safety above all else. It does not make me a bad person, but it is not something that a Fundies class would "fix". I want to be staring out into the blue between shots, not watching another person. IF I percieve the threat level as higher, then I might change my mind. I think you PNW divers maybe need to dive this way, but I must say, I dive the same style Pelelui and it is not really as pedestrian as you folks paint our warm water "wussi dives". Some people want to be REALLY careful...and some people want to have fun to the point where the hand ringing is a detriment to our own experience. I have somewhat put this matter to bed by realizing if I dive with like minds, we will all be satisfied with the expectations. DIR certainly has a lot to offer. The buddy thing..... well maybe , maybe not depending on your own desires.

There is only a problem if I commit to something I don't fulfill. Diving clearly solo with other solo divers, well for me, its the E ticket.

OE2X:
"How many photographers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None. We wait for the world to turn around us."

For a long time I've been reading that photographers make the worst buddies.

Our rules for photography are pretty simple.

1) Only one camera per team.
2) No cameras if you dive with someone for the first time.
3) Whole team has to agree we are working the camera and agree to put that first
4) Generally diver who has the camera is out in front where they can be seen.

Seems to work pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom