Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, I must say I always take this "DIR is better" stuff around here in fun. I had dinner with a cave diver last night who goes mile into the sytems, camps in air pockets etc. It was quite interesting dinner conversation. I was struck by his sentiments towards DIR and how many newbie DIR folks came down and started telling him what to do and how to do it. I was shocked to be honest about his ...adamance. Word?

catherine96821:
wow, OEX2, you guys even dress in the same outfits!
Pretty cool, huh? :D

Situational awareness is not limited to the domain of the DIR diver and I do realize you are not saying that...I hope.
Well even if I did, it shouldn't make any difference... why would anyone care whether I think that or not?

But... I don't think that. You don't have to have DIR training to have situational awareness. However I've seen a lot of *very experienced* divers who had absolutely zero situational awareness and I've also seen n00bs who had taken a simple DIRf develop exceptional situational awareness. So... don't discount DIR, just because of the acronym and my poking fun here. :D

But this thread wasn't about DIR. OE2X just happened to mention that his buddies were DIR. Big deal.

Diver Dennis:
I've been diving with him Ron and he didn't see me very often except on the boat...:D
Me too :D

and may I add DIR is not the only way to learn situational awareness.

Yes, David was my Philippine dive... well actually not buddy but we did dive together... sort of... in the same ocean...:D

catherine96821:
well, I wasn't going to SAY that. it's just that you, Bob, and OEX2 aren't going to get much of a debate all sitting in here and agreeing with each other.
What makes you think I agree with them? … :wink:

I don’t think being a good photographer’s dive buddy has anything at all to do with being DIR. It requires a certain mentality and set of skills … but DIR training is simply one tool that some people use to acquire those. And it’s not the only tool available. One of the most successful dive photography teams I know, personally, is John Rawlings … a frequent contributor to Advanced Diver Magazine … and his buddy Sparky. They’re not DIR, and to my knowledge neither of them have ever had (or felt the need for) DIR training. What they did do is establish a routine that works for them … which includes a certain mental approach, good basic diving skills, a definition of each other’s “roles”, and solid communication during the dive. None of this comes without effort.

I think that in order to be a good photographer’s dive buddy you need to define your role within the team … and be willing to tailor your diving objectives and style to be compatible with that role. You need to view the successful achievements of the photographer as an end goal in which your role is a means to that end.

An example would be … “You watch out for things to take pictures of, and I’ll watch out for you.” The latter assumes some additional responsibility … namely maintaining proximity to the photographer, and making sure that you can be easily located by the photographer at all times. In some cases, that means keeping your light where it can be seen by the photographer’s peripheral vision without being intrusive to the photograph. In high ambient light situations, it means positioning yourself such that the photographer can see you with minimal effort, while at the same time not interfering with either the subject or the photographer’s ability to get the shot (the last thing any photographer wants is an errant fin disturbing the subject, so positioning oneself at a reasonable distance from the subject while still in the photographer’s peripheral view is ideal). Proper positioning is a learned skill that takes forethought, effort, and practice. And it doesn’t happen with the casual dive buddy.

The photographer also has some additional responsibilities … namely, making an effort to maintain frequent contact with their dive buddy, and making sure the dive buddy knows and understands what you are trying to do. Before and after taking a picture, establish eye contact with the buddy to assure yourself that everything is as you would expect it to be. Don’t wander off or change direction without first establishing contact and signaling your intention to your dive buddy. If you see something you want to take a picture of, make sure to point it out to your buddy, so that they know what you intend to do. Be patient and move as slowly as the circumstances allow to afford your buddy the opportunity to establish position before you set up the shot.

It really boils down to setting expectations and avoiding “surprises”. First you establish the mindset, then you determine the roles, then you practice … and none of this comes without practice. People who dive together regularly have the advantage, because their underwater communication skills have become refined through familiarity. Cardzard and his wife were good examples of that when we dived together in Bonaire last year. They worked well together. I’ve got a picture from that trip of Cardzard hovering about halfway up the pilings at the Salt Pier … totally focused on his shot … while his wife was positioned off to the side and a bit below, looking up and watching him. Her positioning gave him the space he needed to take the shot, but close enough that she could be seen easily, and more importantly could render immediate assistance if needed.

A team attitude and solid diving skills are essential to both the photographer and the buddy … and the reason I think that some people feel that DIR training makes the process easier is because those are both such basic tenets of that style of diving … but it is not exclusive to that style of diving by any stretch. And in any case, attitude and training are simply the first steps in the process. Those who were diving with me when I first got my camera will recall the difficulties I had maintaining good buddy communication while at the same time trying to learn how to be a photographer … and yet I had the same skills and team attitude before picking up a camera as I had after. But what I needed was time to develop those skills to a higher level due to the additional task-loading that using a camera imposed. I also needed to discuss with my dive buddies how this was going to affect their role on the team, and give them time to make the adjustments. I think that’s pretty much how it goes for most of us. Developing new skills takes practice … when you change your focus, as photographers do, you will have to refine those skills, and relearn things you thought you already knew.

And finally, there are no universal answers here. We’re all different … and our personalities, goals, and perceptions play an important role in how we choose to dive. Some folks find it boring … or even annoying … to hover around in one spot while a photographer spends endless moments lining up a shot (or shot after shot in some cases). Others don’t mind, but don’t really contribute much to the dive … they’re simply there. And still others make an effort be a part of the dive … to contribute to the photographer’s success. And they are the ones who will make the best photographer’s dive buddy.

… Bob (Grateful Diver)

I liked being your "dive buddy" Dennis, it gave me a chance to solo dive without really solo diving. :mrcool:
Maybe I was more like "the middle man".

Opinion of a relative newby: There are a few pros talking among themselves here. You are outstanding well trained divers and would be great buddies - probably would even provide album quality pictures of the dive team and all they saw. Back to the original topic ( divers with cameras don't make good buddies). For the occational diver - cruise ship once a year, every other year with the relatives or office staff, uses rented gear,....- if a person gets buddied up with a camera toting dude on a cruise ship or resort dive, I would take that as a sign to become a helpful solo diver. Not to plan on that individual being "DIR" aware.

Good point WWD. That illustrates the fact that most certified divers don't dive much, they are mostly in the category that you described, doing maybe 5 or 10 dives a year. A lot of them will be paired up with some stranger on the boat and if that person is not taking pictures it could make their dive not very entertaining. If they both take pictures then I think the Buddy mentality might go out the window.
Then there is the whole other argument of whether their skills are good enough to keep them off the reef when they are taking pictures...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom