Budapest Intro-Cave dive for non certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don’t you go get intro to cave and then dive the cave? This sounds really sketchy. What’s the safety record and how long have they been doing these dives for non-cave certified dives?
They seem to be doing this a while, this cave was explored in the 80s I believe. Its locked and you need a permit etc. I don't know about cave intro course, but GUE fundi is, imo, kind of like that?

They seem to be doing this a while, this cave was explored in the 80s I believe. Its locked and you need a permit etc. I don't know about cave intro course, but GUE fundi is, imo, kind of like that?
I can’t comment to Fundies vs cave class as my cave classes were through TDI. But an intro to cave class would be good to have, even if you didn’t want to do much cave diving. Definitely improves your diving.

I can’t comment to Fundies vs cave class as my cave classes were through TDI. But an intro to cave class would be good to have, even if you didn’t want to do much cave diving. Definitely improves your diving.
This is why I did Fundi. It improves diving immensely, everything you learn is with cave in mind. Its also hard to pass actually. However its not recognized as cave certification. Its what you do before you do the real tech course. But then again GUE is very thorough. Maybe GUE fundi is comparable to other cave intro courses in some ways? Not sure.

It's a (popular) guided discovery cave dive, so extremely dangerous that there were no incidents in 20 years.
Thanks that is reassuring. Can you describe the dive? Whats it like?

@Boyan may already know all this, but for those of us who don't know much about this "tourist" cave dive, here is an informative article I found with a quick Googling: Budapest Cave Diving Experience at the Molnar Janos Cave | The RTW Guys

"As required by strict European Union regulations, to dive inside the Molnar Janos Cave, you have to be cave dive-certified or be a student working towards your cave diving certification.

However, there is a loophole in this requirement that allows other divers who are not cave certified to do an introductory dive."

From the description, my guess is they have had a good safety record because they apparently vet the divers pretty well--probably better than in Mexico, where they allow just about any diver to go.

@Boyan may already know all this, but for those of us who don't know much about this "tourist" cave dive, here is an informative article I found with a quick Googling: Budapest Cave Diving Experience at the Molnar Janos Cave | The RTW Guys

"As required by strict European Union regulations, to dive inside the Molnar Janos Cave, you have to be cave dive-certified or be a student working towards your cave diving certification.

However, there is a loophole in this requirement that allows other divers who are not cave certified to do an introductory dive."

From the description, my guess is they have had a good safety record because they apparently vet the divers pretty well--probably better than in Mexico, where they allow just about any diver to go.
There are some requirements, they don't just take anyone with advanced.

Side question: can a 40lb wing work with double tanks?

There are some requirements, they don't just take anyone with advanced.

Side question: can a 40lb wing work with double tanks?
Depends on the wing. Some 40lb wings like the Halcyon Eclipse are meant for single tanks (used to have one).

Depends on the wing. Some 40lb wings like the Halcyon Eclipse are meant for single tanks (used to have one).
what would happen if I dive doubles with it? I vaguely remember that I specifically bought one which would at least technically be able to do it. But Im not sure any more.

what would happen if I dive doubles with it? I vaguely remember that I specifically bought one which would at least technically be able to do it. But Im not sure any more.
If you don’t have a proper doubles wing, borrow or rent one.

Back
Top Bottom