Budapest Intro-Cave dive for non certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boyan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I am planning on doing the "intro cave dive" in the famous Budapest caves (Hungary’s largest underwater cave lies just below Rózsadomb). For the intro dive they don't require cave certification, but they only penetrate to 200m following one line and back another line / way.
They don't just take anyone, but as I said they don't require cave cert for the "intro", which is kind of like "explore scuba" but for caves.

I have GUE fundi REC, about 50 dives (just enough so they accept me) and have reasonable control, bouyency, etc.

Is penetrating 200m a lot? Has anyone done this cave and is there even a map of the dive? How dangerous would you consider this or is this more or less accepted?
Any tips before I go?

I plan on making a service for my regs, new batteries on backup lights and computer. Dive is at 8AM and I am 3h away, not sure if its a good idea to drive 3h and then dive?

I will also carry my backup mask.

Any tips appreciated and experiences :)

Best
Boyan

Hello,
I am planning on doing the "intro cave dive" in the famous Budapest caves (Hungary’s largest underwater cave lies just below Rózsadomb). For the intro dive they don't require cave certification, but they only penetrate to 200m following one line and back another line / way.
They don't just take anyone, but as I said they don't require cave cert for the "intro", which is kind of like "explore scuba" but for caves.

I have GUE fundi REC, about 50 dives (just enough so they accept me) and have reasonable control, bouyency, etc.

Is penetrating 200m a lot? Has anyone done this cave and is there even a map of the dive? How dangerous would you consider this or is this more or less accepted?
Any tips before I go?

I plan on making a service for my regs, new batteries on backup lights and computer. Dive is at 8AM and I am 3h away, not sure if its a good idea to drive 3h and then dive?

Best
Boyan
200m is pretty far when you’re low on gas and you can’t see.

Seek. Proper. Training.

Have you compared this dive with the cenote cavern tour dives of Mexico? (See A word to the wise on cenote diving.) The cenote cavern tours have an "impressive" safety record; there are rules and precautions, and also, along the tunnels there are fairly frequent openings to the outside, so that if there ever is a problem, the divers are never that far from an exit. It has been debated exactly how far a diver ever is from such an opening; because those openings are often too dim to see without turning off your light, most of us here can do no more than guess; the guide would have to know where one is. But I am sure it is nowhere near 200m. Although the cenote dives do not require a Cavern certification, most Cavern certifications limit the diver to around 30m (penetration plus depth, in total) from daylight.

Hello,

Any tips before I go?

Best
Boyan
Single tank? Eh, that sounds questionable. Make sure you have three lights. Treat it like a real cave dive.

Maybe drive up the night before? I’m not my best diving after driving three hours. Something to think about.

Single tank? Eh, that sounds questionable. Make sure you have three lights. Treat it like a real cave dive.

Maybe drive up the night before? I’m not my best diving after driving three hours. Something to think about.
No, doubles tank. I will have my own 2 backups and a loan main light.

Have you compared this dive with the cenote cavern tour dives of Mexico? (See A word to the wise on cenote diving.) The cenote cavern tours have an "impressive" safety record; there are rules and precautions, and also, along the tunnels there are fairly frequent openings to the outside, so that if there ever is a problem, the divers are never that far from an exit. It has been debated exactly how far a diver ever is from such an opening; because those openings are often too dim to see without turning off your light, most of us here can do no more than guess; the guide would have to know where one is. But I am sure it is nowhere near 200m. Although the cenote dives do not require a Cavern certification, most Cavern certifications limit the diver to around 30m (penetration plus depth, in total) from daylight.
I asked for more information. Years ago I read its like a cavern now I read somewhere its 200m penetration in pitch black darkness...

I plan on making a service for my regs
FWIW, I believe that most reg failures are immediately following service. Either delay service or do an easy dive immediately following.

It's not clear whether the lines are 200 m long but paralleling various natural-light exits (as do the Mexican cenotes) or it's 200 m "make it or you don't". Based on my (intro) cave certification, I would not take my nearly-adult son on one of the latter types. He has excellent buoyancy and about as many dives as you.

FWIW, I believe that most reg failures are immediately following service. Either delay service or do an easy dive immediately following.
Good idea, I also thought about this. However at the very least I need my regs changed for double tank, so some work is going to be necessary.
What about new batteries? The ones I have are all multiple years old (computer maybe 1, lights 2 or 3, maybe older even).

It's not clear whether the lines are 200 m long but paralleling various natural-light exits (as do the Mexican cenotes) or it's 200 m "make it or you don't". Based on my (intro) cave certification, I would not take my nearly-adult son on one of the latter types. He has excellent buoyancy and about as many dives as you.
Yeah that sounds very scary. From the videos I saw online its pitch black.
They do claim to have legal basis in this "cave intro dive" format, so not sure what to think. They require everything to be according to hungarian law, I need a medical check, etc. It doesn't seem to be shady.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom