BSAC Trainee Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI All

I just wanted to air a trainee frustration into the cosmos :(

I am currently a BSAC Ocean Diver Trainee and have been for almost 3 years now .... yes 3 years. I know that Covid and lockdown had an effect on this but still .... 3 years !!!!

I am getting my training from a local club so it is all volunteer based, because of this i don't feel like i can really complain hense my posting today.

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey time

Back in the good old days before Covid was a thing circa October 2018 my hubby and I came to the realisation that there was no reason why we coudn't start scuba diving ..... hubby wanted to take off abroad and do a course somewhere hot but silly me said we should do it here in sunny England so we can dive all year round. As Hubby is very well trained he agreed :wink: (yes i have had a lot of I told you so's) so we contacted a local club and set off for a test dive and LOVED it and so our adventure into Scuba started.

Little did i know that 3 years on, instead of loading up the car on a weekend and going and diving any muddy puddle we can find - Hubby is Ocean Diver trained but with no further experience diving and I am still a trainee.

I have completed all the "classroom stuff" and have 98% of the skills signed off but i have found that our local club isn't taking tranees out enough (2-3 time this year) and i do not forsee any more trainee dives in the near furture.

So cosmos here is my quandry..... do I
A. Search for a new club and hope it is better there - next nearest one is 1hr and 30 min (ish) away
B. Search for a BSAC instructor who will do a intensive trainee course with me
C. Dump BSAC all together and switch to SSI or PADI
(I have been in touch with a SSI/PADI instructor who will take me but would be starting from scratch and i am so damn close)

Ok that is it - frustration released and calm has once again assended:)

:scubadiver:

I don’t think I have any couples in this exact position in my branch, although I do where one is a Sports Diver, so I don’t think you are talking about me specifically :)

The biggest advantage of using a commercial school is predictable timing. A major headache for a club is getting all the students in the same place at the same time doing the same lesson. Ideally you have two or three OD trainees at a lake doing the lesson. A school has a continuous stream of people just doing OW and can manage that. A club has a given set of people, not too many, doing courses progressively and so there might be only half a dozen people that need a particular lesson. Getting those particular people to agree and actually turn up is a major challenge. Mix in other constraints such as not putting people into 8c water for their first open water dive, and getting people done is hard. Since lessons tend to be spread out over time the students are often badly rusty when you do round them up.

In your case were you training as a couple? Did you start at the same time? Did your husband need fewer lessons, is he a fish and you struggle, or were there events you could not attend?

In my experience, and we’ve had a disappointing number of people fail to finish, the difference between success and failure is whether the student is prepared to prioritise the training. People who turn up get trained. People that remind the instructors that they exist and are available get trained. People that say “yes” get trained. People that have a wedding to go to/a mate moving flat/etc etc don’t.

What clubs want to do is to go diving. Half trained people are not useful for that and generally some considerable effort goes into getting people finished.

My specific advice to you is to talk to your DO and say “I really need to get finished, I can do these dates <insert every possible date> and you can use my husband as a body/buddy if necessary, when can you or another instructor take us to a lake?”

Once qualified you need to go diving and get solid skills by practice. That will involve getting on trips, eventually organising trios and generally being a proper adult. All that involves prioritising diving activities. There will not be a huge choice of dates, boats get booked, people have to agree to dates etc etc. If you can’t fit some of those dates into your life, and often the boats need booking a year ahead, then you will not get to go diving with your club.meanwhile your club has boats with empty spaces, wasting money and making the treasurer suggest booking free boats next year, then next year the story is “I can’t do any of those dates, why so few?”

Most clubs end up with a hard core of people who actually do all the diving. Those are the people who prioritise diving and are not scared to commit ahead of time. The rest are at wedding, helping people move house, at Glastonbury or whatever.

The simultaneous strength and weakness of BSAC is the club-centric diving. It's a lot of work to organise and execute training, especially basic training. Clubs can vary massively from being a social and drinking club through to full on diving operations.

Kind of the benefit of PADI is that they're well sorted for the basic training -- OW, AOW -- even though the training will tend to be basic (although definitely not always -- some UK PADI outfits go a lot further and tweak the training for UK circumstances).

PADI's weakness is when you get trained in the warm, clear, busy resorts in benign good visibility conditions. Training there can be minimal with the objective of getting you to follow-the-leader around a dive site. This is definitely not appropriate for UK diving conditions which is far more challenging -- cold, dark, low visibility, currents, wrecks, choppy seas (speaking with some personal experience here!).

A hybrid approach where you use PADI for the basic training will at least get you to the state of diving in 'easier' conditions; quarries, Swanage, Farne Islands, Scottish lochs... That's when the BSAC clubs can be a lot better as they take you diving to gain more experience and move on to the interesting wrecks. Then you can move on to the Sports Diver training but you're able to dive whilst you do that.

Just for the avoidance of doubt: British diving is great! So much to see, so many wrecks to explore -- and other stuff too! It just needs a bit of experience to get the best out of it.

Edit: should add that UK diving's not unique; it applies to pretty much all cold water locations

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Hubby and I started training at the same time and he did take to it a lot easier than me, I initially had some issue to overcome regarding weights, floaty feet etc. We say yes to all training trips and could be out every weekend if that was a option however due to our jobs we don't always make the club nights ... maybe that is the problem !!

We had booked to go on our first dive trip to Malta in 2020 and had arranged to complete my training there if i hadn't done it but then Covid so we moved it to this year and .... yes you guessed Covid so we have moved it again to 2022 but i would love to be certified by then with a few more dives logged.

Am sure if you ask around within the BSAC world you could quickly get signed off by another club that can fit you in.

Will be great once you've got over this hurdle/milestone. Try to get it done soon as the season pretty much ends mid October when the weather turns (talking about the sea here). The quarries are warmer until December where nobody would blame you for not diving for a few months thereafter.

Interesting quandary.

I'm not BSAC certified, no clubs anywhere near me, but I have the charts and a fair bit of inside information. I like their basic idea and love that they introduce altitude diving right up front.

So your issue is whether to remain faithful to your club or go renegade on them?

I have a somewhat different focus after being instructed by many different agencies. It took me a while but I lost the agency-centric approach and became self-centric. Stay in BSAC for what they offer and pick an 'off-the-shelf' agency as nothing more than furthering your education. I took Basic OW twice, once with NAUI and once with PADI. Neither one was 'better', they were both quite similar but with different instructors' twists and tricks.
Altitude diving in the UK . . .:rofl3: Is that like snow skiing in Kansas ?

Am sure if you ask around within the BSAC world you could quickly get signed off by another club that can fit you in.

Will be great once you've got over this hurdle/milestone. Try to get it done soon as the season pretty much ends mid October when the weather turns (talking about the sea here). The quarries are warmer until December where nobody would blame you for not diving for a few months thereafter.
Dive season on the Scottish West Coast is 1st Jan to 31st Dec. There aren’t any midges during the winter.

Dive season on the Scottish West Coast is 1st Jan to 31st Dec. There aren’t any midges during the winter.

Was trying to be kind and not let her know it gets cold in the winter...

Having said that, had a wonderful trip in June to the extreme north-west of Scotland diving with the kelp and around the gullies. Would imagine that would be wonderful now as the fish and critters would be there.

Was trying to be kind and not let her know it gets cold in the winter...

Having said that, had a wonderful trip in June to the extreme north-west of Scotland diving with the kelp and around the gullies. Would imagine that would be wonderful now as the fish and critters would be there.
I’m due to go there late September.

I’m due to go there late September.
The strangely named North East Diving (it's in the North West). Nice boat, lovely people. No high-pressure oxygen (for a rebreather) -- bring your own. Dives in the 10m/35' to 25m/80' range, so air's good.

Tip: bunk off diving for a day and go to Handa Island which is a bird sanctuary. See puffins.

Afternoon,
I've been lucky with relatively proactive clubs who managed to get training done moderately quickly generally. We find a chunk of our instructors are retired, so doing hours jiggling at work to enable a midweek dive is a very effective way to get stuff signed off. It also means the dive sites are generally quieter which is a bonus. If that isn't possible, I'd suggest your regional team may be a point of contact as well, they always seem quite helpful. I saw something on the website the other day about updating training to allow support to clubs with region based instructors too, so it may be something else the club can look into if needed and dates keep clashing.

UK diving is great, keep going and enjoy the variety you will find!

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom