BSAC Trainee Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My way into BSAC was a bit different. I already had PADI MSD and few TDI tech certifications. BSAC recognised my certifications and issued BSAC Equivalent to Sports Diver certification.

In my view easiest way for you would be to take PADI/SSI course, get OW and maybe AOWD certifications and then you could have automatic roll over to BSAC.

HI everyone

Thank you so much for your support and encouragment.

I have told my club comittee member by issues and even a couple of them agree that they dont get out enough. If you can believe it, all i have left to get signed off is CBL from 6m and tow. A few other things that are signed off on the club sheets just not in my training book. All my training has been at either Capernwray or Crummock water - no sea dives done yet.

Like i said - I am so close.

HI everyone

I have told my club comittee member by issues and even a couple of them agree that they dont get out enough. If you can believe it, all i have left to get signed off is CBL from 6m and tow. A few other things that are signed off on the club sheets just not in my training book. All my training has been at either Capernwray or Crummock water - no sea dives done yet.

According to all my reading of (nineteenth and pre-war twentieth century) English novels, a polite letter to the club secretary should have it settled shortly. :)

What's a CBL?

Change club. There’s many others around, so find another and make sure they go diving every weekend.

Whilst BSAC sports diver syllabus is excellent for UK diving, you need to go out and dive. As you’re not there yet, it’s almost worth thinking about taking a PADI Open Water course and get at least one qualification under your belt which will allow you to side step the BSAC club nonsense. BSAC May take your Open Water qualification as entry to Sports Diver.

But honestly, do look at alternative clubs. That one sounds pretty inactive. Maybe even see if you can get a referral to complete your course elsewhere where there’s actually instructors available.

Don’t give up!

HI All

I just wanted to air a trainee frustration into the cosmos :(

I am currently a BSAC Ocean Diver Trainee and have been for almost 3 years now .... yes 3 years. I know that Covid and lockdown had an effect on this but still .... 3 years !!!!

I am getting my training from a local club so it is all volunteer based, because of this i don't feel like i can really complain hense my posting today.

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey time

Back in the good old days before Covid was a thing circa October 2018 my hubby and I came to the realisation that there was no reason why we coudn't start scuba diving ..... hubby wanted to take off abroad and do a course somewhere hot but silly me said we should do it here in sunny England so we can dive all year round. As Hubby is very well trained he agreed :wink: (yes i have had a lot of I told you so's) so we contacted a local club and set off for a test dive and LOVED it and so our adventure into Scuba started.

Little did i know that 3 years on, instead of loading up the car on a weekend and going and diving any muddy puddle we can find - Hubby is Ocean Diver trained but with no further experience diving and I am still a trainee.

I have completed all the "classroom stuff" and have 98% of the skills signed off but i have found that our local club isn't taking tranees out enough (2-3 time this year) and i do not forsee any more trainee dives in the near furture.

So cosmos here is my quandry..... do I
A. Search for a new club and hope it is better there - next nearest one is 1hr and 30 min (ish) away
B. Search for a BSAC instructor who will do a intensive trainee course with me
C. Dump BSAC all together and switch to SSI or PADI
(I have been in touch with a SSI/PADI instructor who will take me but would be starting from scratch and i am so damn close)

Ok that is it - frustration released and calm has once again assended:)

:scubadiver:
If you want, you can get all your training done with Stoney Cove in a few days.

All Courses – Dive Stoney Cove

If you contact them and tell them what you are missing they can probably reduce the price for the training?

Also you should be aware that you can get sign offs from any qualified instructor even if they are not from your club.

If you post on the bsac regional Facebook page you may get in touch with instructors willing to help..

BSAC Regions: Regional Coaches and teams

for example, here are a few FB for regional groups:

1. London BSAC London Region
  2. South east BSAC South East Region
  3. Southern [URL]https://www.facebook.com/BSACSouthern/[/URL]

Hope that helps
Tony

@tridacna, What??

I was led to believe that BSAC was a local thing that focused on the club, members, and regular local diving...
That’s true but any instructor (from any club) that is allowed to teach this qualification can sign off students from any other club. This is not something that all clubs explain very well to their trainees.

If your club is small or is lacking instructors teaching the level you are seeking, this is sometimes a better solution. BSAC runs a couple of regional events where people from any club can join to get trained outside the club too.

I just wanted to air a trainee frustration into the cosmos :(

I am currently a BSAC Ocean Diver Trainee and have been for almost 3 years now .... yes 3 years. I know that Covid and lockdown had an effect on this but still .... 3 years !!!!

I am getting my training from a local club so it is all volunteer based, because of this i don't feel like i can really complain hense my posting today.

The excessive amount to time taken to complete certifications within BSAC is a common complaint. Obviously thea limited dive season in the UK doesn't help, but you do need a club with a DO and instructors who are willing to put effort into training

The easiest route is for new divers to take their OW cert with PADI (other agencies are available), so then you're a certified diver that can at least go on club dives. Training Ocean divers has a high level of demand on Instructors time commitments and club resources.

Out here in our club, which until 2015 had over 100 diving members, its own club house and 3 boats which all used to launch on at least one day of a weekend was to suggest new members obtain their OW, AOW & Rescue with PADI - because the commercial centres had the facilities, instructors and the time to do this effectively. PADI Rescue is roughly equivalent to Sports diver. Once a student had gained their Rescue cert they were encouraged to cross over to Sports diver - where you just need to undertake the theory and then the practical lessons which cover items not covered under PADI.

In the OP's case the options are:

Seek out a new club - but accept the limitations on the time it may take to do training

Seek out a UK club/Centre that can complete your training on a full time basis - have a UK Staycation.

Complete your training in Malta or Tenerife at a full time dive centre

Take a PADI course (s) and then cross back over to BSAC training at a future time but at least you'll be qualified to go out on club dives

HI everyone

Hi @Suebea,

You need to get the skills signed off in you logbook, other instructors won’t have access to your club’s records. For example, if you came to the South Scotland regional training I would ask you to do all the skills not signed off in your logbook. Have a look as this page on help from BSAC HQ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom