Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park, CT - Open Invite July 9-10, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking for an advanced buddy early Saturday to go down the wall with. 75ft dive. Expect 39 degree temps possibly low vis and dark. Pony bottle reccomended.

Then second dive an artifact-cleanup dive.

Chris
Middletown, CT

aaah good idea on the tent....what about camping out there that evening? would that be allowed? Or is that not reccommended?

The next Brownstone Exploration and Discovery Park event is happening soon ... next weekend: July 9-10, 2005 9am to 6pm daily in Portland, CT.

Agenda
Seasoned BEDP divers will be continuing the clean-up efforts and introducing new visitors to the placid waters and shallow-water clean-up if they wish, also Waste Management will be there again with dumpsters etc. Those without a buddy will be paired up on site, so come on down to help clean or just explore this beautiful site.
Briefing daily at 10am

New Vistiors
For new visitors to the Brownstone Exploration and Discovery Park, please plan on making it in time for the 10AM briefing your first day to the site. If you can't make the briefing, please ask for Frank Hayes upon your arrival at the site and he'll get you the info.

Conditions
In the shallows, down to 15-20', expect balmy temps in the mid to high 70s, lots of plant growth and fish. Below this it's in the mid 50s down to 30-35 feet, where it begins to get much colder and darker ~40deg. If you have a light, don't hesitate to bring it. Dive flags are not needed as the only boats in the area are operated by diver-knowledgable "captains" in the US Portland Volunteer Navy who will be helping with the clean up efforts and general surface support. Do bring full tanks, all your gear, and your c-card.

Accomodations/Camping
For those wishing to stay over Saturday night, some local hotels are:
Inn at Middletown 800-637-9851
Radisson in Cromwell 860-635-2000
Days Inn in Cromwell 800-329-7466
Howard Johnson in Rocky Hill (across from Scuba Shack) 860-529-3341
Stay tuned, we are trying to get a discounted rate at one/some of these establishments.

Also camping at the Brownstone Exploration and Discovery Park is available. At this time, it would be limited service camping and no campfires. There is limited space, so if you would like to camp, you must email Frank Hayes at esi2spy@aol.com in advance and check in with him when you first arrive.

Looking forward to seeing you all there and seeing some new faces.

Dont forget the Portland fireworks are also Saturday Night, at the Fair Grounds, about 4 miles away... Come and spend the weekend!!!

mmm fireworks good call....Gonna do that....now...I am still up for carpooling from boston if anyone wants.

Lord1234, Have we talked yet. 1-860-633-4771. Please anyone else coming please calll I could use the Diver support to arrange for the surface suppport. Thanks Frank

The dives, and the company are great. The walls fall in a straight vertical run from about 15 feet, to 75+ feet, its pretty cool. The quarries are easy to find, lodging is close by, and restaurants are practically in walking range. Also, the Portland fireworks are generally known to be the best in the state of CT. I have met a couple of SB members on recent dives,, and had a ball, I hope to meet more of you!

Frank-

I've told Ed and Sean that if you need my help with anything, I am more than happy to lend a hand. I am planning on being there Saturday from 9am until probably 2pm, and Sunday from 10"ish" until 3 or so. Sorry about being so non-commital with the times, I just have a lot up in the air right at the moment. However, my priority this weekend is the quarry. Of course, I would like to get a couple of dives in both days, but when those are done, I'll flip burgers or do whatever you need. Give me a call anytime - 860-543-4619.

Shellbird - I don't know if you're still thinking about carpooling, but these are my plans. Let me know if they work for you!

JimJam, Thanks I would like the divers to dive. I will have plenty of surface support. Theres plenty of stuff we need to float and dump. I'll see you there. P.S. There are supposed to be 6 slot machines dumped by a local social club that was about to get raided if you could please find at least one , I think it would look nice in my basement. Thanks Frank

Frank Hayes:
JimJam, Thanks I would like the divers to dive. I will have plenty of surface support. Theres plenty of stuff we need to float and dump. I'll see you there. P.S. There are supposed to be 6 slot machines dumped by a local social club that was about to get raided if you could please find at least one , I think it would look nice in my basement. Thanks Frank
Frank....Ill be there and Would LOVE to have the second slot machine that surfaces....or at least one of the reported six.....

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom