Broken wireless (AI) transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A wireless AI transmitter mounted to the first stage can be and has been easily broken (as I’ve read here). Does any manufacturer offer a console where the transmitter is mounted or integrated within? Sounds like a logical safe location to protect the AI.

A few manufacturers do, I know that Scubapro just released one and I think Oceanic has one too. Probably a few others that I’m not aware of since I’m in the wireless crowd, I just keep mine on a 4 or 6 inch hose so no one can snap it off.

A google search for “air integrated console dive computer” might help out.

A wireless AI transmitter mounted to the first stage can be and has been easily broken (as I’ve read here). Does any manufacturer offer a console where the transmitter is mounted or integrated within? Sounds like a logical safe location to protect the AI.

Suunto Cobra has an AI console too. Or do you mean just the transmitter in the console that transmits to a wrist mounted computer?

Like Scuba J7 says...

Just put a 6 inch hose with a spool on your transmitter. I tie the hose in to the HP hose with my kid's elastic hair ties.
So nice to be able to see it all on your wrist.

The few AI transmitters I have worked with will attach either way. Screw them directly to the 1st stage. Or attach at the end of a hose. Hose mount works for some rebreathers as there isn't clearance for the big blob on the 1st stage. I dove with a guy who hose mounted the transmitter to reduce signal dropout. To change to a hose mount we just needed a HP hose and a spool, it attached just like a gauge.

Just put a 6 inch hose with a spool on your transmitter. I tie the hose in to the HP hose with my kid's elastic hair ties.
broncobowsher:
Or attach at the end of a hose.
There is nothing magic about a 6" hose. You can use a longer (12", 18", whatever) hose, which may be more streamlined, and route it down the side of your body, for example. Or, you can route it under your arm and attach it to a chest strap clip, etc. Use of a hose with a transmitter works well, and is not limited by length.

I had a nifty protector for the first stage built custom from re-bar. Worked pretty good until it rusted enough for a Shark to bite though it.

Had to revert to and SPG on a hose, but when buddies looked askance, I fitted it up with a brass gauge and a U-flex hose.

Worked ever since, less failure points and fewer batteries.

There is nothing magic about a 6" hose. You can use a longer (12", 18", whatever) hose, which may be more streamlined, and route it down the side of your body, for example. Or, you can route it under your arm and attach it to a chest strap clip, etc. Use of a hose with a transmitter works well, and is not limited by length.

The only problem I see with a longer hose is that when the regulator is being transported, changing tanks, etc. the hose with the transmitter can swing free and bang the transmitter against a tank, deck, second stage, etc. etc. etc.

I've had my transmitter used as a handle once (that I saw) when it was attached directly to the first stage. After that I put it on a 6" hose that I loosely tie to my low pressure inflator hose. I carry a spare transmitter on a 6" hose in case of a failure (hose or transmitter). Sometimes I mount them both in case of failure while below the surface. Transmitters are somewhat fragile and can be easily damaged by knocking against something hard. I go on vacation with just about a spare everything.

Cheers -

You don't have to leave the transmitter swinging free. Countless ways to control it, tuck it into various pockets, etc. You can protect it better then you can an SPG. You just have to take a moment and think about it.

Don't bother bringing a spare 6" HP hose. Bring a full length one. With a gauge on the end. It is so much more versatile.
You can use it with your transmitter, just have to tuck away a little more hose.
You can steel the spool out of it if you loose an O-ring.
You can use the whole thing as a gauge if the transmitter dies.
Your buddy can use the gauge if there goes out.
If you bring a spare short HP hose, it is a unitasker. It is only good if you have exactly that one problem and useless for anything else. A long hose (with a basic gauge) can fix so may different problems and is so much more useful.

I also take a spare long hose with a console AND a long hose and a spare SPG. Just sayin'. I already said I have just about a spare everything. :)

Cheers -

An additional hose with the transmitter on it would help as many of you have said. But that’s another hose and doesn’t preclude damage as it dangles around.

I’m not hearing anyone know of a console that has a port for attaching the transmitter or a console with the transmitter already built in. This as proposed would provide good protection and no need for an extra hose. Seems so simple.... especially if a redundant pressure guage in a console is an important diver priority.

If you know or hear of one let us know..... thanks!

PS... for clarity this is a transmitter for a wrist computer

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom