Broken k14 Mod 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We have a Bauer K14 Mod 6 that we had a valve job done on because it was leaking. When we got it back from the compressor shop we ran it for less then a minute and the crank broke. The company claims that it was not their fault and that it was nothing they did. I find that difficult to believe, but now I have spent $2800 on a rebuild and I have a worthless compressor. Does anyone know where I can find a crank besides Bauer which wants $2100 fro a crank with the connecting rods.

There are several folks out there that might be able to help you out with a used shaft. Porter at August Industries in Carollton, TX, would be a good place to start.

Craig

So, CHK, what was it, a rebuild or a valve job? IOW, what did you get for $2800? I don't see how a valve job could be related to the latest problem but it does seem like a big coincidence.

Contact the guys at New Parts - Hi-Psi Compressor Parts - they make generic parts for all Bauer units at reasonable rates.

I have purchased a number of parts from them and they have all been first class quality.

As for a valve job costing $2800.00 that sounds awefull high.

In my opinion, with a little care, a manual and some patience, almost anybody can do a valve overhaul on Bauer units, full kits are available for the units and its a relitively straight forward job, get a manual, take your time, think it through logically and I cant see any issues.

It went in for a valve job.

They replaced the following:
gaskets rings and fourth stage piston: $800
temp switch: $130
Barksdale pressure switch: $175
on off timer: $78.30
relief valve: $84.55
Oil: $36.00
Labor: $900
shipping for parts: $75

in total it was $2380

and the funny thing was, I only approved $1300(the original estimate) in charges. They claim that since I told them that I needed it in a hurry they did not think to call and let me know of any additional charges because that would have wasted precious time.

I see you're in Ca. Contact the BBB, specifically, they aren't allowed to spend money over that you've authorized without your permission. And doubling the original estimate is over what any jury would consider "reasonable."

Take 'em to small claims court or see an attorney.

Chances are pretty good that they did something to break the crankshaft. And they never bothered to run it up to pressure after completing the work? Give me a break.

Hmm, replacing the switches and the timers (the bulk of the extra cost) is a simple operation you could do yourself, certainly I would query the need for them to do so.

Thanks for all the info. Here is what I am going to do for now. I found a used crankshaft from a guy on Ebay ($500) and I am going to try and put this thing back together myself. I am too strapped for cash right now to have someone do it for me. I run a machineshop and have rebuilt engines so hopefully this should be a cinch. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom