Broken HID test tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's one for the dumb diver awards.

I noticed that the HID bulb in my light head was slightly "askew", so I removed the test tube to straighten the bulb. While I was trying to replace the test tube, I applied too much force, and it shattered. Luckily I didn't cut myself, or break the HID bulb, but I did cut one of the o-rings on the head, not to mention broken glass everywhere. Lloyd Baileys and Fifth Dimension both have replacement parts listed on their sites, so I'll be doing a couple of phonecalls tomorrow. Four working days before a dive trip :upset:

Anyway, question is, should the o-rings that seal the test tube be lubricated? I didn't wipe them clean, and the test tube was firm, but not impossible to remove, so I didn't even consider lubricating the o-rings before replacing the cover. Dive Rite's website states that test tube lights should be stored with the test tube removed, to prevent condensation buildup (there was a surprising amount of moisture at the base of the test tube, even after 4 days of drying post dive), so I'm surprised the tube broke while replacing it, if they're meant to be repeatedly removed.

Suggestions for safe removal and replacement of HID test tubes?

:confused:

Oh yeah, and after all that, the bulb is still slightly askew. It just sits that way because of the slightly springy wires underneath it in the lighthead assembly.

Ben

I have always been told not to lubricate the O-rings, but when replacing the test tube to wipe the area clean and wet your finger (saliva) and wipe it around the O-rings.

I have not broken any since I started this, I had previously broken one, that is when I was told to do it this way.

Just a little crazy advice, hope it helps.

I also broke mine just before time to dive.

Also been told not to worry to much about a "little" condensation, it clears out when it is turned on.

Good luck getting one before the dive.

lal7176 once bubbled...
Thats gotta suck.Sorry to hear your light broke already even though its only temporary.By the way have you got your new charger yet and hows it work.
Yep - got a Maha MH-C777 PLUS charger with the LED screen - works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip D.I.R.Lizard - I'll try the saliva.

eughhhhhhh that sounds bad

Ben,

just one word of caution. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
plug in the charger with a battery connected!!!

This is an excellent way of letting the magic smoke
escape from the charger ( i.e. ruining it )

I think they mention this warning but in my opinion
do not stress it enough. Otherwise it is an excellent
charger.

I ruined one and I know of 3 others at a local dive
shop because of this issue.

Kell

I never removed my test tube. Of course now I have the new light head so it's all sealed up, I don't even think I have a test tube now.

Tom

Tom,

Did you get one of the new Halcyon ones? If so, how do you like it? I want one sooooo bad, and will probably buy it next month. Sealed and focusable!!! Heck yeah!

Yea, mine was screwing up (not sparking) so I sent it in for repair, got back the new head. I haven't dived it yet but its really sweet. Little tiny thing, rock solid. I love the new focus, the old way kinda sucked. I'll probably actually use the focus now!

In my opinion its worth doing, even if one has to pay a fair amount for it.

Tom

Well, I am currently using a Dive Rite Wreck w/ MR11 head. I like the small size and the fact it is sealed. However, I really want something focusable. I have been debating about whether to buy a new one and get the old style Halcyon. I almost had myself talked into it. Then this new head came out, and I am super convinced now. I talked to JJ, and he told me the price was going to be the same as the old one. That is all it took!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom