Broken Bow, 4/7 - 4/9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, thought I'd suck the particulars out of the Broken Bow thread.

Several of us with sig others and children will be heading to Broken Bow and camping at either Beaver's Bend State Park or somewhere around Steven's Gap (these are two separate sites, right?). Some are planning on being there the whole weekend.

So far the list looks like it will or may include:
me (red mazda 6)
fixxervi6 (*graphite* Ram 2500 quad cab)
timeliner (white '05 Toyota 4x4 pickup)
LukieDukie (blue ford taurus or a white chevy 2500 with slide in camper)
sealskin98
Foo
Wet-willie
txdiveguy98
James (not on SB, drives a F350 quad cab, don't remember the color)

Many of us will have a dive flag visible (remember this is Oklahoma; dive flag required or $$$).

timeliner:
Personally... To make sure all folks concerned have a good time I think camping at Stevens Gap Area near "The Dip" would be the way to go. You can dive there at the dip off either side and you can go a couple of 100 yards up the road and dive there off the end of the point as well.
Entry is easy and there is some enjoyment built right into the place for kids and folks that don't dive. The Marina and boat ramps are real close too. For the more adventureous that want to dive deep ( read those that don't mind a little workout getting down the trail to the dive site) there are the wall dives by the spillway and of course there is the trail down to the dam.
Timeliner has some general info here:
http://www.frankpoye.com/BrokenBow/

timeliner:
Also ... if anybody wants to we could meet up at the end of the Stevens Gap Peninsula around sunset. We can all clap as the Sun goes down and BS
Those of us coming from DFW after work on Friday won't make it there by sunset. Can we also try meeting there Saturday morning? Let's say 10:30 AM unless someone has a better idea.

If every one interested in coming will PM me what their vehicle looks like, when they'll be there and possibly a cell phone number, I'll distribute it via PM to everyone else Thursday night.

loosebits:
Ok, thought I'd suck the particulars out of the Broken Bow thread. ... If every one interested in coming will PM me what their vehicle looks like, when they'll be there and possibly a cell phone number, I'll distribute it via PM to everyone else Thursday night.
Thanks for the summary. At this point isnt looking good for me, but I am still working on it. I will definitely PM sometime friday either way.

Willie

loosebits:
Those of us coming from DFW after work on Friday won't make it there by sunset. Can we also try meeting there Saturday morning? Let's say 10:30 AM unless someone has a better idea.

Since I’m not gonna be diving I’ll try to be there around noon or so on Sat. (run my reg. by the shop for annual, get it done early this time…duh).

Y’all PM me some tag numbers so that I can make sure I’ve got the right spot in case everyone is down under when I get there.

As for the grill, thought I’d keep it simple…hot dogs and hot links O.K. with everyone?

I may need some help with the cooking though…Texass??...Texass????...Help!!! :D :D :D

Where has he been hiding lately anyways?

Oh, since there are going to be several ppl., has anyone considered going together and renting a pontoon boat from the marina to do the wall dives?

We'll keep an eye out for Sealskin98 since he might have food, a grill and a good joke to tell!
Mike...You "will" be prepared with a top quality joke for Us now won't you ?
No old jokes about Foo or that interloper Oklahoma Foo we want some fresh stuff. :D

We'll all be on the look out for each other. Friday night , Saturday morning.. what ever the deal is.

I plan on being out at the tip of the peninsula at Stevens Gap Friday afternoon by 5 O'clock and I may just camp there. I'm going to dive out to the little island then and if somebody is there your more then welcomed to join me. If not I'll just make it a private thing. I kind of enjoy that once in a while anyway :14:
What ever the case thats where I'll be then.

I am so ready for this, I should be arriving around 10 am on Saturday morning. I will be in my blue ford taurus and I will be tenting it. Does anyone have detailed directions to Stephens Gap or maybe some GPS numbers for me to use? I am going to grocery shopping tommorow morning and will also be bringing my Grill To Go so if any one wants a hot meal or breakfast just let me know.

PM sent with contact info

Also If anyone has an extra primary light that I could borrow it would be great (in case some one wants to pop my cherry on a night dive)

Looks like I am out on this overnight trek....just to many other things on the weekend plate....may try to dive a day trip distance local if time allows Sat or Sun.. Spent most of today in Adv. Nitrox class,,,,will finish up on Friday and start Deco classroom studies also on Friday. Wish I could have done this trip with you folks--have fun!!! :)

Lukiedukie:
Does anyone have detailed directions to Stephens Gap or maybe some GPS numbers for me to use?

Luke, see attached map. From Broken Bow go straight through town on Hwy. 259, about 10 miles or so. There is a BIG sign on the right that says Stephens Gap (it's on the map as Stephens Gap Area)...turn right there. There is also a Mexican restaurant there on the corner.

Keep on the main road until you come to a stop sign, where the road Ts. You'll have to go left or right. There is a sign there that says Marina with an arrow pointing to the right...go left, then take the first road to the right...Eagle Run or something like that.

Then just stay on that main road until you come to the end of the peninsula. Be careful on driving once you turn off of 259, the road is steep and winding (oh, forgot you'd been fishing in that area before so you know that).

In other words, just follow the signs.

If you look at the map it looks like my directions will take you to the point where there is just the one road is on the north smaller peninsula, but that's not the case, you'll find it easy enough. If you look at Frank's satellite photo you'll see that it's the longer peninsula that has several cut-off roads...the marina is on the little "finger" on the south side of the long peninsula.

GPS? What's that? I just turn left where the two cows are standing under the tree... :D

Hmmm...I had a little problem getting the word file open when I clicked on it. If anyone else has a problem here's a website with the same map.

http://www.shopoklahoma.org/oklakes/brokenbowlake.htm

Well I have to bail on this weekend, woman was in a car wreck yesterday, no one was hurt but the truck got messed up pretty good so I have to hang around here to get that taken care of.

Unfortunately me too, my wife's uncle died late last night. The funeral will be Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom