Bringing Camera Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confirming this... lost my allen key set that I keep in my SAD kit leaving CZM last year.

Like screwdriver... ok. But allen keys?
The rules for leaving Cozumel say "no tools" and the guy inspecting your carryon has no discretion to make a decision about how dangerous a certain tool could be on a plane.

When I was leaving the island a couple of weeks ago the inspector found my Leatherman in the bottom of my camera bag; I know the rules and I have no recollection of putting it in there. I gave that Leatherman to my dad in 1990 or so, and I got it back when he died; I did not want to lose it, so I figured it was worth a try to take it back to the ticket counter to see if I could get it into one of my checked bags. Of course, my bags were already gone, but there was a guy at the counter who was on the same plane as me. When he saw what was going on he graciously offered to put my Leatherman into his checked bag; he found me at the baggage carousel in Houston and returned it to me. Whatta guy!

I have heard that other places in Mexico, specifically the Baja, were "taxing" cameras they deemed to be professional level. I don't quite have one like that but it's a housing on a tray with float arms and strobes. Any issued I should be aware of at the Cozumel airport next week?

There is always a risk of Murphy’s Law, but as long as you are not bringing through a few cameras you should be OK. I have come through every 2 -3 months bringing my pretty serious camera set up. They haven’t given problems but they have confirmed I am bringing through one system and not multiple systems. I think the published rules limit you to 2 cameras (maybe 3 , but I think 2). If you are exceeding the published rules you might get dinged (which is fair)

There is always a risk of Murphy’s Law, but as long as you are not bringing through a few cameras you should be OK. I have come through every 2 -3 months bringing my pretty serious camera set up. They haven’t given problems but they have confirmed I am bringing through one system and not multiple systems. I think the published rules limit you to 2 cameras (maybe 3 , but I think 2). If you are exceeding the published rules you might get dinged (which is fair)
And don't call your phone a "camera," and maybe don't call your GoPro or FauxPro a "camera,"

And don't call your phone a "camera,"
Ok, that is pushing it, isn't it? I'm sure that those agents all know that everyone is carrying phones with cameras. I carry my Sealife, my land camera, and my iPhone so that's three, and I've heard that the free limit is two. Now I am wondering.

Ok, that is pushing it, isn't it? I'm sure that those agents all know that everyone is carrying phones with cameras. I carry my Sealife, my land camera, and my iPhone so that's three, and I've heard that the free limit is two. Now I am wondering.
Think about why they are asking? The issue is you are bringing in several cameras, might sell one or more, and are trying to avoid the import dueies/taxes. When they ask, "How many cameras do you have, they do not really mean how many devices do you have than can take pictures.
By the way, I do not carry an iPhone, nor does anyone else with a Samsung.....

By the way, I do not carry an iPhone, nor does anyone else with a Samsung.....
Well, no, many don't, but your phone shoots photos, right?

Well, no, many don't, but your phone shoots photos, right?
That language was written before smartphones were even a thing, and iPads have cameras, too. Counting those devices, on our last CZM trip my wife and I had seven cameras between us.

I think the takeaway from this is to not count your phone as a camera if asked. Since photos are not the primary purpose of the phone I do not believe Customs have been counting phones as cameras (people would probably be getting tripped quite often if phones were counting ).

I have heard of people getting tripped up by drones around the world. I would do research on that before entering a country (especially if entering with both cameras and drones ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom