Bringing Camera Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been asked.
If you go through customs with a large bag almost entirely full of camera equipment there is a reasonable chance you will be.

While some weird stuff happened early in the pandemic, in general I have found the Cozumel customs personnel tend to ask common sense questions. If you come through with a massive amount of luggage or a several identical items (like 5 BCDs for one person ) , they may ask you to explain . They are just doing their job so I don’t mind. (Unlike the BS that happens in Cabo where they just make up rules as they go along in order to solicit a bribe). Hopefully I am not jinxing myself ! 😀

Huh. When I've entered Mexico, I have ALWAYS been asked how many cameras I have.
That's because you look so suspicious. :)

On my last trip (or last - 1?) I got the full bag inspection in CZM and the question about how many cameras I had. No surprise, given the space occupied by just a compact camera + housing + strobes + tray + floats + batteries & chargers, etc.

No hassle or challenge when I said there was just one camera.

If you go through customs with a large bag almost entirely full of camera equipment there is a reasonable chance you will be.

While some weird stuff happened early in the pandemic, in general I have found the Cozumel customs personnel tend to ask common sense questions. If you come through with a massive amount of luggage or a several identical items (like 5 BCDs for one person ) , they may ask you to explain . They are just doing their job so I don’t mind. (Unlike the BS that happens in Cabo where they just make up rules as they go along in order to solicit a bribe). Hopefully I am not jinxing myself ! 😀
I brought in 2 computers , 1 17 inch macbook pro and a 27 inch imac. I was questioned about the 2 computers.... I told them it was only 1 laptop and a monitor because my eyes are bad. they also were wondering about 2 dpvs.....5 sets of regulators.......I had to explain to customs about cave diving and redundancy and that I take my safety as priority. They let me pack up my 5 cases and leave tax free.

I brought in 2 computers , 1 17 inch macbook pro and a 27 inch imac. I was questioned about the 2 computers.... I told them it was only 1 laptop and a monitor because my eyes are bad.
Smartphones and tablets could also be considered to be computers as well as cameras. :D

I brought in 2 computers , 1 17 inch macbook pro and a 27 inch imac. I was questioned about the 2 computers.... I told them it was only 1 laptop and a monitor because my eyes are bad. they also were wondering about 2 dpvs.....5 sets of regulators.......I had to explain to customs about cave diving and redundancy and that I take my safety as priority. They let me pack up my 5 cases and leave tax free.
Perhaps the fact that you live on the island led them to look more closely at what you were bringing in. No tourist is going to take a big iMac to Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom