Bringing Camera Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard that other places in Mexico, specifically the Baja, were "taxing" cameras they deemed to be professional level. I don't quite have one like that but it's a housing on a tray with float arms and strobes. Any issued I should be aware of at the Cozumel airport next week?

Nope. Earlier this month I got the dreaded 'red light' coming in to CZM and was thoroughly searched (ransacked). I had two small housings: one for my TG-6 and one for my mirrorless and they said nothing - they seemed more concerned about any potential tobacco/nicotine I might be carrying. I will say, last October, I was questioned and mildly harassed about my mirrorless housing flying into SJD tho' ultimately let through - seems to be more a Baja thing.

Just don’t take any small screwdrivers or Allen wrenches in your carry on. I took mine in carry on with my other camera gear for many years and then one year they decided it was worthy to confiscate.
IMG_6361.jpeg

Just don’t take any small screwdrivers or Allen wrenches in your carry on. I took mine in carry on with my other camera gear for many years and then one year they decided it was worthy to confiscate.View attachment 852218
Are you talking about entering or exiting the country? The OP is talking about entering.

Are you talking about entering or exiting the country? The OP is talking about entering.

Edit: I thought it was entering, but looking at the date of the photo it was upon exiting which does make more sense. That was a few years ago so the memory gets twisted into what it wants sometimes.

Edit: I thought it was entering, but looking at the date of the photo it was upon exiting which does make more sense. That was a few years ago so the memory gets twisted into what it wants sometimes.
Thanks for the update. Entering made no sense; exiting makes good sense.

Just don’t take any small screwdrivers or Allen wrenches in your carry on. I took mine in carry on with my other camera gear for many years and then one year they decided it was worthy to confiscate.View attachment 852218
Confirming this... lost my allen key set that I keep in my SAD kit leaving CZM last year.

Like screwdriver... ok. But allen keys?

Regarding cameras and housing, never had any issues at either CZM or CUN with what I would consider a pro-sumer camera setup like you're describing.

Oh yeah...didn't mention because the OP was asking about entering. Due to suitcase blowout on the way down, I made a poor packing choice leaving last week and lost my pliers, screwdriver and all allen keys on the way out. I get the screwdriver/pliers but do they seriously think I'm going to take the airplane apart with a 3mm hex key? She was eyeing my ScubaPro BC tool as well, which would have really pissed me off since it took MONTHS to get that thing but fortunately she let me keep that.

I'm surprised that TSA hadn't taken those leaving the US or just flying somewhere within. The last I checked their published rules said "No tools" without exceptions on size.

Oh, they have updated their notice with a few items listed as Yes or No for carryon or checked under Household tools, but leave most off the list. Even worse.

Leaving Cozumel I took this photo in the airport, but that was 12 years ago so it could be out of date...

1721653833854.jpeg

I'm surprised that TSA hadn't taken those leaving the US or just flying somewhere within. The last I checked their published rules said "No tools" without exceptions on size.

Oh, they have updated their notice with a few items listed as Yes or No for carryon or checked under Household tools, but leave most off the list. Even worse.

Leaving Cozumel I took this photo in the airport, but that was 12 years ago so it could be out of date...

View attachment 852280

That's a general simplistic guideline. The detailed rules say under 7 inches is allowed. But also that the TSA agent has the final discretion.

1721661865346.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom