Breezing through Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgy

Reaction score
My wife (snorkeler, non-diver), teenage daughter, and I (2 divers)are planning our first trip to Belize in March. In a perhaps vain effort to see the high spots we are hoping to have 3-4 days in a jungle lodge and 5 days or so of diving and beach. I also harbor a hope of seeing Tikal .
Questions for the forum:

-Is it better to go to Tikal from the beach or from a jungle lodge? It looks as though flying from the beach may be as fast and easier compared to a land trip from a lodge in Cayo district, and have the added advantage that the beach resort costs less per day. Is this so?

-Any advice on tour operators to Tikal?

-We are trying to choose between Ambergris and one of the atolls or outer cays. My wife likes the idea of snorkeling from shore if this is possible anywhere -- advice?

I stayed on Caye Caulker, just south of Ambergris Caye. The reef is right off shore. When I was there I wasn't cert yet, so I snorkeled. There was a giu on the island named Creek that would take a boat load of snorklers out on the reef for $15us each. Please he gave a tour of the island from the water. Oh and their were snacks involved too. That's always a plus. This island was less touristy I think compared to Ambergris Caye.

Oh and one thing I didn't get to do when I was there that sounds cool is, on the main land, they have underground rivers that you can go tubing down. Try it out and tell me how it is.

Tikal is a long one day trip from the Cayo, pre 6 am to after 8 pm. To fly, you have to fly from Belize City to Flores, but you might get more time.

There are also good ruins in Belize (Caracol, Xunantunich, Cahal Pech, etc.)

No snorkelling from shore on Ambergris.

We stayed on Glover's two summers ago (Manta). Absolute heaven. Lots of snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, but pretty isolated.

I have a trip report about it at my websiteUnderwater Planet

Was just there again last week on the Pilot.

Cave Tubing at Ian Anderson's is great, as was Lamanai Outpost Lodge.
email if you have any questions

Tropic Air flys direct form Ambergris for a Tikal tour and as Chrism said you fly to Flores and tour form there its a long day but the ruins are spectaqular its quite costly to fly about $300 per person.

Belize is not that famous for snorkeling from shore as the reef is usually way out from shore, only a few minutes by boat but too far to swim and also lots of boat traffic.

Some of the offshore Atolls its possible but if you have a non diver I would probably not reccomned one of the Atolls.

I think you could easily stay in the mainland for 3 nights rent a car and you could cover a lot of the attractions in that time plus its easy to drive around and a more economical way of doing it.

I like Duploys as a Jungle lodge (deep i the jungle and tons of birds and wildlife.)

Have fun

Gaz Cooper

:cold: :cold: :cold:
Thanks to Wendy, ChrisM, and (always reliable) Gaz for all the info. We're all set with plans to go to DuPlooy's, Tikal, interesting day trips in the jungle and a week or so on Ambergris. Meanwhile it's 18 degrees F here and windy, so I CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO BELIZE.

Don't forget Belikan Beer and a scrumptous amber rum that is local and I can't remember the name of. Fishing on Ambergis is really good too!

Flores is nice but don't drink the water or eat/drink anything with ice! Tikal is awesome but to really take it all in takes a couple of days. IT is worth it to hire a guide.

I was in Belize a number of years ago and was part of the first expedition to canoe up and down the Raspiculo river. Awesome time. Sadly, I wasn't diving at the time.

Thanks, Ontario. I hope your tagline about "best beer in the world" isn't a claim for Ontario's beer. How about Belgium?

Your warnings about Flores remind me of Tom Lehrer's line: "don't drink the water and don't breathe the air." I take it that the air in Flores is cleaner than the junk we get in the Boston area. I'll be sure to warn my family. As it works out, we'll get to Tikal but, as you say, may see less of it than we might want. :doctor:

My wife and I are going in less then two weeks. We're staying San Pedro for 5 nights then heading inland for 5 more in San Ignacio. We're planning on taking boat trips for snorkeling and SCUBA. Inland, we are planning on going to Tikal and staying there for one night. From what I've heard, one day is not enough to see Tikal. We're planning on taking a bus from the border to El Remate and then heading to Tikal from there. Still not sure if we are staying in Tikal or head out to Flores for the night.

I'll let know how things went once I get back.

By the way, The Rough Guide to Belize by Peter Eltringham is a great source of info.

Thanks for the information. I'll be very interested in hearing of your experiences, positive or otherwise. I hope you have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom