Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't be relaxed and focused at the same time.

And that is why kung-fu meditation inner peace tai chi actually helps: you can.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but getting better at buoyancy control will greatly help with the amount of air you use. If you are constantly adding and dumping air to/from your BCD you're going to run down your tank quickly.

If a person uses quick spurts of air as they should adjusting BC volume will use very little air. Adjust your BC so your lung volume will be the deciding factor in your depth.
I'm at the point where my buoyancy and breathing are pretty much co-dependent. I don't even think of breathing in a metabolic or need sense. I think of it as a tool to be where I want to be. There is a certain lag, so it's not like you can't be flexible in your timing. It's really not hard to maintain neutral buoyancy on a half lungfull of air. It is just a learned skill. A skill dependent on precise use of the inflator.
Just about every male diver starts out with concerns about excessive consumption. It's something you have to work through. If you can stop fixating on your breathing I I guarantee your consumption will improve.
I can't imagine with all the time, effort, and money involved in getting underwater that we should meditate ourselves somewhere else. Diving is such an astonishing thing that it is foolish not to totally immerse (npi) oneself in that truly three dimensional world. Learn to fly.

If a person uses quick spurts of air as they should adjusting BC volume will use very little air. Adjust your BC so your lung volume will be the deciding factor in your depth.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. We are in agreement. I meant that you should use your lungs as your primary buoyancy control and then use your BCD as necessary with minor adjustments. Honking on the inflator, ascending, and then dumping air to get back down just wastes air, and can be dangerous for other reasons.

I meant that you should use your lungs as your primary buoyancy control and then use your BCD as necessary with minor adjustments.

My last few dives I found that when I breathe in, i'd go up too much and when I breathe out, I'll go down too much. I'm still zeroing in on my weights, so I think that I could shed 5lbs (I was at 20 these last dives, but... it was 43F at some point, and 14mm wetsuit was necessary!)

My last few dives I found that when I breathe in, i'd go up too much and when I breathe out, I'll go down too much

If you are pausing at the end of the inhale or exhale portion, that is to be expected. Just breathe! :wink:

And that is why kung-fu meditation inner peace tai chi actually helps: you can.

Right...Just get a black belt and you are all set.

It's no different than any other sport. Have you ever been "in the zone" while playing a sport? You are focused on what you are doing, but you are relaxed and not tense. It is indeed possible - and common - to be focused and relaxed at the same time.

I didn't say it was easy... unless you're a panda. Seriously, though, tai chi and chi gong are specifically that: walking mediation/breathing exercise while focusing on doing stuff. In styles that issue black belts the mediation aspect is a bit of an afterthought, if your special forces mossad shifu is even aware of it in the first place.

You can't really medidate underwater cause you need a certain degree of awareness. They often call it "meditation" on this board though in reality this just means "do not fret and stay relaxed".

TOTALLY agree!!! I was referring to meditating topside, so that underwater breathing and calmness are already a practiced skill and there's a stronger awareness of body-emotion connection. I meditate with my eyes closed and sometimes I fall asleep...all kinds of problems with that underwater. :wink:

I am not a small guy at 245 but do better than most of my dive buddies who are usually younger and in much better shape as well as are experienced divers. The most important thing once you go under is to find your happy place. The best way I can describe it is that feeling or total relaxation and calmness that you can find underwater. You will know your happy place when you find it. Once you do your breathing will slow big time. You will literally almost feel like you dont need to breathe. I routinely do 30 minute dives to 80ish and come back with 2000 PSI on an HP100. There is another piece to finding this happy place. You want to find it before you submerge. I dive mostly cold quarries and that means thick protection, hood, helmet for my lights and GoPro. I usually have a tiring walk to reach the water. On deeper dives this means an HP133 and 30 bailout back mounted. That is a lot of weight. What I started doing a few years back is taking 3-5 minutes once in the water to find my happy place. I take time to rest and catch my breath from the exerting walk down to the water. Then I slowly kit up. Fins on first, rest. I intentionally slow my breathing by taking long deep breaths and slowly blow bubbles in the water. I do this for about 6-7 long breaths. You need to slow everything down. Then hood and helmet on and down I go. I see divers every weekend getting into the water out of breath. Hurry ...hurry.. and down they go. If you start the dive out of breath it will take you some time to slow your breathing down and you will burn more air. Try this pre dive routine and I think you will be amazed at the results.

Back
Top Bottom