Breathing thru a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the PADI Discover Scuba thing today at my LDS. They have a nice heating pool that goes down to 9' with a 4' side area for us newbies.

Basically had the equipment fitted/put on me and to the 4' section we went. I was very relaxed and under we went. It was a little weird at first....I didn't trust it, but everytime I needed air it was there...(im sure you all been there before?). We stayed at the 4' section for only a couple minutes and the instructor signaled us to move out into the 9' section which is just a drop... 4' to 9' to in between. I took an extra minute to get a little more comfortable and there i went.

She had to add some weights to me because everytime I tried to get to the bottom, my arse went up and took me to the top...and that was with a deflated BC. Which I already knew about thanks to this board and a book called SCUBA SCOOP, which I highly recommend for people wondering what SCUBA is all about.

She checked my air pressure after about 20 minutes and told me on the surface that my air usage was excellent...overall I'm happy and I'm ready to get this certification thang started.

:D

that you had a great time!! Keep us posted on your progress.

on you overcomming whatever was inhibiting you. Before I got certified, I did a SNUBA in the Bahamas. My first time with a reg was a bit odd too. I had a hard time trusting it. Now I'm at ease and I don't even think about it. Have fun with your open water dives!:poking:

i bought all Zeagle gear, and my instructor explained to me that the deeper you go, the easier it is to breathe thru your regulator.This i found to be the truth! i have a hard time breathing thru my regulator when i'm on the surface, but try it...it does get easier the deeper you go!:thumb:

I would stay calm. I never had any anxieties about diving. I couldn't wait to get geared up and jump in. While in my backyard pool using the equipment for the first time I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I just stayed on the bottom and tryed to control my breathing better by taking deper longer breathes. That feeling quickly went away. I really think that remaining calm is the key.

I am done with the confined dives and the written part and my 1st three open water dives are Saturday the 24th. Breathing thru the reg is not even an issue anymore....I love it...I ended up buying all my equipment and that is an even more enjoyable experience..well except for the bill. :/

Thanks again!

I have 50 dives under my weight belt, but every time I go underwater I have to take a deep breath and slowly exhale while me head slips underwater.

Every time my brain yells,

"Hey. . . HEY. . . you are not suppose to be doing this!"

As I am a thinking human being, I know what to do. I relax and let myself slip underwater.

Once I am the next breath down, about 7 to 10 feet, I can see the light over my head and my brain is now thinking,

"hey. . . HEY. . . this is REALLY cool!"

So for some of us, it's a challenge for a brief moment.

When I first took my confined classes, I found that it was more about getting use to the equipment and learning to breath normally. The feeling of no air, was more about my shallow, scared, out-of-my-element, breathing then anything else.

As everyone has said, good equipment and practice will make all the difference.

Soon you too will be the one that only low air will chase you out.

I have seen a couple posts and have talked to a few divers who say that the initial going under experience is kinda of stressful for them too. I read a post on here that the person said..get me in the water and get me under immediately.....I can relate to that, but wont know how I am until Saturday. :wink:

JP

Back
Top Bottom