Breathing thru a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went SNUBA'ing in Hawaii, in January..it was my idea to pay the extra money instead of just doing the normal snorkel thing. I thought it would be simple...thought.

The instructor explained to us on the boat ride out there about equalizing, breathing, etc etc. We get to the spot, he puts on all our equipment and in we go. I immediately clung to the raft my air was on and started to use the regulator. It felt like I couldn't breathe....he finally took the weights off of me..and told me to keep the reg. in my mouth and just get use to it...he also told me to take deep controlled breaths.

Anyways, it just didn't happen. My next reg. experience will be tomorrow in a pool...I know I know...more relaxing isnt it?

I'm curious what anyone else has done to help them get use to this breathing out of a reg. thing. Any stories or comments would be appreciated.

JP

any just plain snorkeling? It might help you to start out using just the snorkel until you get used to breathing through a mouthpiece. You could do this just by kneeling or squattin down in very shallow water and just dipping your face in the water a little at a time.

If thats not an option then try breathing off your regulator before you even get into the water. Also do some breathing off the regulatorwhile you are at the surface and the BC is inflated enough to make you float.

You should breath slightly slower and a little deeper than you normally breath on land. Relax and breath easy.

Good luck!!

Jep, since breathing with your face in the water is not a natural action, it will take a little time for your body to get used to the sensation. Just relax & give it time.

The snorkel suggestion was an excellent one as was practising on land. Basically, anything that gets you used to breathing through only your mouth while your face is immersed is good.

After a while it will become 2nd nature & you won't even think about it.. honest! :)

~SubMariner~

Since none of us wre there to try the reg, it may be postulated that the reg itself was not in great condition or was not tuned well. I'm sure Snuba outfits overuse their equipment. If you take an OW course, the rental equipment may be better. Your own reg will be better yet.

I had the same sensation when I first started snorkeling, but now I am a self-proclaimed Professional Snorkelist..lol, bet you never heard that before...good because I just thought of it.

Seriously, I am very comfortable breathing out of a snorkel...

I'll let everyone know my reg. experience tomorrow night.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason

comfortable breathing through a snorkel it could be that the equipment was faulty as suggested by art.chick.

When you get your gear together tonight test breathe the regs and see if things feel "normal" to you. Hopefully if there is a problem there will be a replacement readily available.

Good luck! Have fun!

Be sure to let us know your progress.

Thanks, I taught myself how to snorkel in my pool. Much more relaxing that way.

If need be, I would actually rent the equipment necessary to practice in my pool...its only 4 feet deep and I could find a way to weigh myself down....heck I might even play checkers on the pool floor. :wink: I would like to become comfortable breathing out of the reg. even before I start PADI classes, but we'll see. I need to hurry though, summer doesn't last forever up here. :(

When I did my two intro dives with SSI in Australia, they put us in front of the beach, kneeling in very shallow water, the water came up to about mid-chest when kneeling.

They made us don everything and put the regulator in our mouth, mask on, and breathe for a few minutes while still technically with our head out of the water.

Thus we barely realized we were already breathing from the tank.

The passage from head up to head down was scarcely noticed.

Getting my cert in Austrialia would be cool, as long as I had enough time to do some post-cert dives and enjoy the *view* if you know what I mean?

Oh, yes, I see what you mean, that's why my craziest dream is to take my IDC over there instead of cold, dark, murky Belgian quarries!

Not to mention I want to have it for my 40th birthfday, end of January 2006, without a drysuit to add to the toil...

Back
Top Bottom