Breathing Rate in Computer Calculations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Galileos and the G2 you tell it your base HR so it compares the current HR to a base value.
That was my point. John's and my base HR were not that different but my max heart rate is significantly higher than John's. John said he has trouble getting his heart rate over 100. I went for a leisurely walk this morning and my heart rate got to 116.

I don't believe comparing to resting heart rate alone will provide any meaningful information. If they also used max heart rate it might be more useful but how does one accurately (and safely) measure max heart rate?

One day perhaps we can do some recreational dives together as we are close wise on flight times to good dive spots in Asia.
I have everything arranged in June to go to Orchid Island but this "wuhan virus" made it impossible.
Okinawa sounds great but will have to wait until travelling is back to normal.

Take good care.

I went for a leisurely walk this morning and my heart rate got to 116.
I would have to be running on a treadmill, panting for breath, to get my heart rate to 116. I know that. I have done it.

Human beings are all different.
That's the reason for which "fixed" deco models can fail.
Any improvement towards the direction of adaptivity is a very good thing, in my opinion.
Air consumption and heart rate are just proxies of what's happening in our body. But they carry some useful information. Making good use of it, the deco algorithm becomes certainly safer, albeit not 100% safe.
I find wrong to refuse these improvements on the basis that AC and HR are just approximate proxies.
Most diving computers do not use adaptive algorithms, and there are fans of them who do not accept that others are inherently better, resorting instead to manual adjustment of GFs or other settings for attempting to overcome the lack of automatic adaptation to effort or workload.

Back
Top Bottom